Cheap cooling system

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Im new to this whole cooling system but what could I start with as a cheap cooling system ( price wise) say I got 50 dollars. I looked around on newegg but got a bunch of fans.

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    if your looking for a good heatsink thermalright makes about the best. if your thinking long term you could start a water cooling system, you could get a pump or a block for 50 bucks and buy more later... itll wind up costing about 200 bucks depending on the size of hte system
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Mr. Bubble, what is the application? To cool the CPU (Brand, speed) of what system? Do you anticipate overclocking? You are fortunate, in that top rate cooling can be had these days for nearly any system. By the way, big advances in air cooling lately - almost to performance level of water cooling.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited October 2005
    Can someone explain to me how water cooling works?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    Can someone explain to me how water cooling works?
    sure ...watercooling is made up of 4 basic components.

Basically a small pump with an empeller to circulate water, water tubing, water block (equivalent to heatsink) and a radiator (heat core).

Water is pumped through the tubing by the pump ...it flows through a closed loop from the waterblock (to gather heat) to the radiator (to release heat).

Basically that's it. A fan mounted on the radiator helps to pass ambient cooler air through the radiator to help remove more heat.

Any questions? :thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Like Leon said ...you can do wonders on air.
    The biggest advantage to watercooling is that you cool better quieter. But that isn't always the case.
    Air is much safer because water and computers don't get along.

I use a watercooling system right now that doesn't cool as well as the air system I had before. Almost but not quite. But it is quieter.