cd-rom drive disappeared

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited November 2005 in Hardware
i use alcohol 120% so i can store images and play games without having to have the disc in the drive all the time

yesterday i went to use alcohol on the other username on my computer and it was asking me to register again

i couldnt be bothered so i exited the program and went about my way

anyhow

i go to use my cd rom today and it didnt work

i went to my computer and my cd rom had disappeared along with all the virtual drives

i tried to re create the virtual drives in the hope that the program would sort itself out but to no avail

so i decided that maybe uninstalling alcohol would do the trick

it didnt

so i went to device manager and it showed the drive but under device status it says

"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

i right clicked it and selected uninstall as i know windows can search for the drivers on start up

so then i rebooted and it found the drivers or so it said

i went to my computer and STILL not showing up

so i uninstalled again and this time clicked scan for hardware changes
the drive came up and in the bottom right the little balloon came up first saying the name of my drive (nec nd-2500A) then it said cd rom then it said a problem occured with your installation your hardware may not work properly

:bawling:

so now i uninstall again and try to use a firmware flash upgrade that i got here ~>>>> http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Nec/Nec-ND-2500A-firmware-19.shtml

but when i click that to launch it, it says 'target nec nd2500a is not found correctly'

i am so confused

PLEASE HELP ME :thumbsup:

Comments

• djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited September 2005
    i see that quite a few ppl have viewed this topic but not posted any solutions

luckily i have found one on net

to anyone whose drives disappear after the uninstallation of any program to do with your drives, ie burning software, virtual drive software etc then you should try the following registry fix

all you do is double click the reg file named cdgone.then you reboot and hey presto your drive should re-appear!

www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    That's a great tip, djshowdown. Everyone should have that tool in their bag of tricks. :)

Sorry I didn't get here sooner, but it looks like you got it whipped. :thumbsup:
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited September 2005
    i actually think ppl should have a look on that website and see their reg patches

there are some decent ones on there

like enabling and disabling cd autoplay with reg files (sometimes other methods fail) and all sorts of similar patches

give it a pop
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Looks like a handy site to keep bookmarked. :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    I had tried to find Updated drivers for the DVD & CD drives but being "Generic" I don't know where to go on the Net to find them!

also, my antivirus faund:Trojan horse collected.5.L
    Trojan . hacktool.rootkit
    Trojan horse IRC/backdoor.sdbot.189.y
    And when I open o restart my pc, they come back again
    I want to formate but I don’t have cd-rom….
    (and many other things like:cant install anything, can.t open the control panel, etc,etc)
    My pc isn’t working as it did before

I'll appreciate any help on this as this JUST HAPPENED by ITSELF!
    also I have found with kaspersky antivirus something like this:
    C:\Documents and Settings\li\Local Settings\Temp\GLB9.tmp/WISE0001.DLL damaged
    C:\Documents and Settings\li\Local Settings\Temp\GLB9.tmp/WISE0001.DLL damaged C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\GLB1.tmp/WISE0001.DLL damaged
    C:\WINDOWS\inf\intl.inf Formato desconocido Tar
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\S-1-5-18\2cf41f1db14bc8f414e16e1555b77108\backup\ip\intl.inf Format unnown Tar
    someone can tell me if this is the problem and what should I do?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Claudia, we'd love to help you with your computer's infestation. Please go to the SVT forum , read the instructions, start a thread, and one of our volunteers will help you.