Windows XP Wont boot, tried all options :(

edited September 2005 in Hardware
HI my name is alex. I have been having problems with my windows XP booting recently. I have searched the fourms and have seen a lot of similar threads, but nothing that can help.

Just last night i took out the hard drive and put it back in. I connected it correctly but i think it has a problem now.

When i start up my computer it goes through the normal process, it detects all my drives and get to the Windows XP loading page and right before it goes to the account selection it flashes a blue screen that i do nt have enough time to read, and then it reboots and does it again.

I have tried booting up with my windows XP disk and tried the CHKDSK and CHKDSK /P in repair mode. Nothing.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    Have you tried Safe Mode?

If not, start tapping F8 as soon as you turn the computer on (before Windows begins to load). You will get a boot menu - use the up/down arrows on the keyboard to pick Safe Mode and see if you can get anywhere with that.

Good luck. :)
  • edited September 2005
    Does the same think. Just restarts.

Thank you.

Im thinking its a hardware connection problem, but im sure in connected it all right.
    It does detect the software.
    edited September 2005
    It may be easier in the long run to just go ahead and try a Repair Install.

Boot from the WinXP CD and proceed as if you were doing a fresh install. (Do not go into the Repair Console - this is a different method altogether.) At some point, Windows will detect your existing installation. Do not add a second Windows install, rather choose the option to repair the existing one.

If it works, all of your previously installed programs should work without having to be reinstalled, and your data will be just where you left it. You'll need to run Windows Update to bring the system back up to date, but that should be about all.
  • edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    It may be easier in the long run to just go ahead and try a Repair Install.

Boot from the WinXP CD and proceed as if you were doing a fresh install. (Do not go into the Repair Console - this is a different method altogether.) At some point, Windows will detect your existing installation. Do not add a second Windows install, rather choose the option to repair the existing one.

If it works, all of your previously installed programs should work with having to be reinstalled, and your data will be just where you left it. You'll need to run Windows Update to bring the system back up to date, but that should be about all.

Will try that in a minture. Thanks. Hopefully it works.
    edited September 2005
    Good luck. :)

BTW, I meant to say "all of your previously installed programs should work without having to be reinstalled..."
  • edited September 2005
    It doesnt give me an option to repair :(
    edited September 2005
    Does it find your previous installation? You have to go a ways into the process to get to that point. It should be an option right after the point where the installation checks your HD for free space, etc.
  • edited September 2005
    This is what i get. After I chose to boot from CD, i let all the files load, I chose the first option to set up a new copy. It does detect my old partion but wants me to delete it, In order to reinstall
    edited September 2005
    You don't want a new copy - that will just leave you with a true mess of a HD, not to mention having to reload every last bit of software you own.

There should be an option to repair the old installation. Look for this screen and press "R":
    (pic courtesy of GeeksToGo.com)
  • edited September 2005
    Does it make a difference that im running the Home Edition ?
    edited September 2005
    It shouldn't.
  • edited September 2005
    Let me just say that i appericate all the time you are spending helping me, but i cannot
    find that screen. Anywhere, it doesnt say that it finds an existing install.

Can you tell me where to go step by step, or more of those screenshots would \be helpfull.

I explained how i am getting where im getting
  • edited September 2005
    I just figured out the blue screen

STOP: c0000221 Unkown Hard Error
    \SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

If that helps
    edited September 2005
    Here is a step-by-step guide. :thumbsup:

If you still can't get to the option in the screenshot I posted before, you may need to run a partition recovery utility. I do have doubts about that, since I don't see how you'd get as far along in the boot process as you have if it was totally goobered. :scratch:
    edited September 2005
    Just saw your last post.

To eliminate spinning our wheels on a software problem, I'd recommend making sure the hardware is not croaking on you. Run the diagnostic test from the HD manufacturer (let me know if you need help finding it). A couple of passes of Memtest86 would be a good idea, too.

Once we're sure you don't have bad RAM or a failing HD we'll take it from there.
  • edited September 2005
    I dont have the repair option. What are my choices now?
  • edited September 2005
    How do i run the diagnostic checks to test my HD or RAM?
    edited September 2005
    alexb wrote:
    How do i run the diagnostic checks to test my HD or RAM?
    What brand is your HD? I'll dig up a link for you.

Click on the Memtest86 link in my last post. Download the program and extract (unzip) the files, put a blank disk in your floppy drive, then double-click "install.bat". Follow the directions and make a bootable floppy.

Leave the disk in the drive, set your floppy as the first boot device, then reboot. The test will start automatically. Any errors mean your RAM is bad. If you do get errors and have more than one stick of RAM, shutdown the computer and test each stick individually.

I mention all this because it may be as simple a matter as a failing drive making it impossible for Windows to read all the files it needs to boot, or bad RAM, causing the same problem.
  • edited September 2005
    Also, i hope this isnt too much too ask\. But if you have AIM, maybe it can be easier for us to chat via it?
  • edited September 2005
    Okay, i am doing the mem test now

And i think i have SEAGATE
  • edited September 2005
    Running the memory test and half way my comp reboots. But it \had no errors for the most part. Retryiing now.
  • edited September 2005
    wow, we got to 178 errors before i hit a key on accident and it restarted. (I am at my desk with my laptop on it but i keep forgetting which keyboard to use)

So the mem problem can be it huh? Time to start yanking one out and testing the other one.

Thanks
    edited September 2005
    Looks like you're hot on the trail. If it's any consolation, at least RAM is cheap these days.

Good luck, man. :)
  • edited September 2005
    I have lifetime warranties
    edited September 2005
    alexb wrote:
    I have lifetime warranties
    Excellent! :D
  • edited September 2005
    My second stick seems to be flawless, but with that i should be able to plug it in only and boot up. Then just buy a new one.
  • edited September 2005
    Let me just thank you again man, This is really great of you.
  • edited September 2005
    After that test my screen turned into some blur.;

Looks bad, blue screen with grey lines :(
  • edited September 2005
    And now, when i turn it on i get a loud beeping noise coming from my motherboard i think.

Guess i almost had it and it turned for the worse again. :(
  • edited September 2005
    Well im going to spend another half hour before i call it a loss at my hands and bring in into an expert. Thanks for your help with what you could do.