how can i install something whilst avoiding static shocks?

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited October 2005 in Hardware
i wasnt sure where to put this but whats the best way to avoid messing things up if i was to install lets say, a new graphics card?

do i need one of those wristband things?

sorry im a bit naive as far as this but i was thinking about upgrading from my radeon 7000 but I have heard some horror stories and dont wanna wreck my puter

Comments

• edited September 2005
    I don't need one I just installed my powerhog ATI X850pro like this.

Open the case take the card and slide it in the PCI express slot (messed around with it until it was in all the way I got kind of scared because it was so hard to put i thought i was goiing to break it but I got it card cost quite a bit 300+bucks i was really scared)

but i just put it in the slot after unplugging everything from the pc then put everything back in and walla everything worked after I plugged the monitor in the card.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited September 2005
    You don't want to be scuffing around on a nylon carpet just before you touch anything. ;)

I go for two ways:
    Wear an antistatic wrist band.
    Make sure the computer is still plugged in to the wall socket (but switched off :eek: ) and touch the metal case from time to time.

I've never had a failure that way, and mostly look down and find the wrist band has become disconnected anyway :D

Good luck mate :thumbsup:
    Crypto
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I still prefer to stand in 4" of water in the bath tub barefoot with the puter on top of the toilet. I have never had a problem with this method. ;)

of course this is just a joke. ;D

BTW
    be careful not to sit in the tub because if you do touch something hot with an accidentally wet finger you will fry your gnads!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Carpet, especially if the air in the house is dry can be dangerous. You should be alright without a wrist strap, just ensure you touch a case rail before anything else inside the computer. That first touch inside the computer can be very expensive. I zapped the heck out of one of my machines once. Fortunately a BIOS reset got everything up and about again. As Crypto wrote, make sure you touch the case frame from time to time, ESPECIALLY if you are walking around on carpet.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    I have built at least 800 computers sitting on the floor of the carpeted living room.

No wrist strap.

Jsut really lucky I guess.

Tex
  • edited October 2005
    Same here tex lets get a pic of these 800 computers I have never seen 800 computers in one room before.
    edited October 2005
    Big A/C bill. :eek:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Big A/C bill. :eek:
    Not to mention having to practically own your own electric company. :cool:
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    Same here tex lets get a pic of these 800 computers I have never seen 800 computers in one room before.

I'm 49. I have been in the biz since 1978. I have built over 4000 computers.

I never said they were in one room at one time.

Twit.

Tex
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Tex wrote:
    ...I never said they were in one room at one time...
    I'm sure he was only joking, buddy.

OTOH, if anyone did have such a setup, it would probably be you. :D
  • edited October 2005
    Holy wow tha's alot of PCs where is that from...

I still want to use all the Pcs at my University to fold for me that would be alot of manpower working for a good cause :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    I never said they were in one room at one time.
    We wouldn't razz you if we didn't respect you. ;) You know, the big wheels get the most grease.
  • edited October 2005
    I stand naked in my metal coated room. :D
  • edited October 2005
    ewwww must be cold
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited October 2005
    aznherb36 wrote:
    I stand naked in my metal coated room. :D

so now i have to fork out for new hardware AND expose myself just to install it

never straightforward is it
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited October 2005
    Don't wear any wool.
  • edited October 2005
    Anti static wrist bands are great if you want to look like a tool but you should be fine putting the machine you are building on something like a wooden desk and if you are really worried then touch something metal like a radiator before you pick up any components.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    yea ive been building and repairing pcs for Small companies and even bigger ones like best buy ( yea i was in the geek squad and they pay like **** ) never used a wrist band just bade sure to ground yourself on the side rails from time to time
  • edited October 2005
    They have their place dont get me wrong, its just not everyday you have visits from upper management or big contract holders :P