broken?

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hey, for the past few weeks ive been getting a horrible connection to my router, and then within the past few days I kept on losing my connection like once ever minute or 2. Then last night, I couldnt even get a connection at all. I tried everything, reset the router, uninstalled/reinstalled my pci wireless card, even took out my pci wireless card and re-seated it, unplugged the router, EVERYTHING! Even on the computer that the router is hooked up to (the one im on now because i cant get a signal on my pc), i cant access the router. When i type in 192.168.1.1 it comes up with one of those errors like when you mistype a url. I am clueless and I'm not sure if I can RMA it because i bought it like a year ago. I even tried my old usb wireless adapter and that didnt work either, so im pretty sure its my router. do you think it could be dead and i have to return it?

i have a linksys wirless G router model WRT54G, a wireless G pci card, and a wireless g USB network adapter. The pci card and the usb adapter aren't working now, and always have worked up until a day or 2 ago.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    ...When i type in 192.168.1.1 it comes up with one of those errors like when you mistype a url...
    What browser are you using to get there? In IE, after one of the security releases a while back I had to add the address to my list of trusted sites.

What happens when you try and connect a single computer straight to your DSL/Cable/whatever?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2005
    I am using IE. It always let me go to my routers settings up until a day or 2 ago. This computer i am on right now has a perfect connection, and the router is hooked up to this pc. I have no idea why i cant get a signal to my pc. I've had the router for about a year, and it has always worked until recently.

im beginning to think that the router is dying on me, although i have no idea why it would and i dont think its a very common thing. i mean it just sits there all day, its not like i move it around or anything that it could be broken easily.
    edited October 2005
    Do you think i should just save the work and RMA it. I've been trying to convice my parents to run a wire up to my room because it is directly above the router. Like if i were to cut a hole in the ceiling i would see my computer from where i am now. This computer, and then one in our basement are the only wired ones, and then mine and my brothers pc (its not hooked up now, he's at college with it) are wireless.

I think im just gonna ditch a wireless router and run an ethernet cable up the stairs until my parents get pissed off enough to put it through the walls. :headbange

o well, i need the internet for school, games, and umm you know what else.. :bigggrin:
    edited October 2005
    Are there windows on that side of the house in both rooms? Just run a cable out the window where the router is and into your room. Do it right and it will be barely noticeable. You'll probably get less flak from your parents that way, too. :)
    edited October 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Are there windows on that side of the house in both rooms? Just run a cable out the window where the router is and into your room. Do it right and it will be barely noticeable. You'll probably get less flak from your parents that way, too. :)

Just wondering, but will the cold weather affect the connection at all. I live in pittsburgh and its cold here in the winter, and the temps are usually below freezing. I just dont want my cable to freeze or something if thats possible. I'm borrowing my friends router tonight to see if my router is broken, or what ever else could be wrong.

right now my router is unplugged and im giving it a "break", and in about an hour or so I'm going to completely disassemble the network and put it back together. strange things happen for no apparent reasons in my house. :confused:
    edited October 2005
    The only real weather concern you'll have is if wind shakes the wire around so much it gets torn.

I lived in a three-story townhouse and wired the whole thing window-to-window for four years and never had any trouble, except the wire at the top of the house got beat up a little by the wind. Wrap a little tape around it where it passes under the windowsill and I doubt you'd even have that problem.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Your weather shouldn't affect the cable. Just ensure that the cable has no hairline cracks or such that could allow water to get in.
    edited October 2005
    I just downloaded the latest firmware for my router, and when i tried to upgrade it, it kept on saying that i have no connection to the router. This computer is connected directly to the wireless router through and etherent cable, and then the router is connected to the modem. I dont get it, i am connected to the internet through the router, but when i try to upgrade it says i dont have a connection to the router. well that solves the problem why i cant acces my routers info by typing 192.168.1.1 .This is becoming very frustrating because i need to get some of my school work done, and my parents are complaining because i have to use their computer.

NEW EDIT: I just called linksys and i went to linksys.com/check and followed it exactly as it told me to do, and it still couldnt find my router. Its official, my router is dead :bawling: I have no idea why, my computer is connected through my router to the modem, yet it still says it cant find it. i dont get it at all. WTF!
    edited October 2005
    Hook the router up directly to a computer using an ethernet cable, then try the firmware flash again. Make sure you reboot the computer to force it to (hopefully) get the correct IP Address from the router. Try two different cables before you give up completely. I'll agree that it's not looking good, but don't bail out on it until you've tried that stuff.

Good luck, man. :)
    edited October 2005
    I tried EVERYTHING, and i mean everything to get it working, and still nothing. I even called linksys and talked to some crazy indian guy for like an hour and he said to just RMA it. So i have a claim number and now just to send it in. I got a 50 ft ethernet cable from a friend who works at bestbuy for only $5, so i have that running down my stairs temporarily. Anyway i love having a wired connection because i can definately tell the difference in speed even though im just browsing the internet.

thanks guys :cheers:
    edited October 2005
    It sure sounds like you've covered all the bases. I'm glad it's under warranty and that RMA is an option. Here's hoping you're back in business soon. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I got a 50 ft ethernet cable... running down my stairs temporarily.
    OK, great. Your mom trips on it, tumbles down the stairs, and sues your pants off in court. She's rich, and then can afford to buy you any networking solution you desire. Happy ending.

(hmm, sumpin about the logic of that just doesn't seem right :scratch: )
    edited October 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    "I got a 50 ft ethernet cable... running down my stairs temporarily." OK, great. Your mom trips on it, tumbles down the stairs, and sues your pants off in court. She's rich, and then can afford to buy you any networking solution you desire. Happy ending.

(hmm, sumpin about the logic of that just doesn't seem right :scratch: )

Haha, well actually i just moved it out my window, and then through the windows downstairs, so unless a burgler is trying to break into my upstairs window and trips on the cord, i don think im gonna get sued. :cool:

:cheers:
    edited October 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    ...unless a burglar is trying to break into my upstairs window and trips on the cord, i don think im gonna get sued...
    ;D

The five-dollar home networking solution and security system. I'm sure your folks are happier not having wires running down the stairs. :thumbsup:
  • edited October 2005
    Wire that stuff throught the wall. If you are still having the probelem I think I might have something that might finally help you out.

1 open up command prompt (run--->cmd) and type in ipconfig/all
    Right all of this down on a piece of paper for later.

then type in ipconfig/release
    then type in ipconfig/renew

The unplug your ethernet cable from the router and plug it up directly to your cable modem (cable modem
    >your computer straight through connection)

2. open up command prompt (run--->cmd) and type in ipconfig/all

now unlpug the ethernet cable and plug it back into the router. Now change the router's ip address to the new ip address you got from step 2. This is your new DHCP, DNS, ISP info that your ISP failed to let you know about because they don't fell like they have time to tell you.

then

3. open up command prompt (run--->cmd) and type in ipconfig/all

Now everything should work.
    If not then let me know and we can go even deeper into the world of networking and PC's

:thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    I RMA'd it a few days ago. They said that theyre just going to replace the broken one with a new one!

:cheers:
  • edited October 2005
    Sweet
  • edited October 2005
    Exact same thing happened to me about 1 week ago...

Weird.

My act lights were going mad and I was certain we had a bug loading up the bandwidth.

Turned off one PC at a time... and never did I get the act light to quit flashing. I tried all the things you did also.

Eventually, before I was about to go to Best Buy to get a new one... it quit.

Worked fine ever since...