$500+ Upgrades....

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
I am looking to upgrade my PC, for 3D Modeling. I've decided I can wait on a big screen monitor and all that good stuff till I get a better job. Right now I wanna upgrade what I have and hope it works a bit better.

I currently have

Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 754
MSI FIS2R MB
1GB(512MBx2) Kingston HyperX PC3200 DDR
Geforce 6200
LiteOn DVD-RW & CD-RW
LianLi PC-65 Case
520W TTGI PSU

I wanna upgrade what I can, I would like a new MB most assuredly, but also have 2GB of PC400 memory. The processor is fine for my needs, and the graphics card is ok, but if I must upgrade to a PCI-E to get what I need, that's ok as well. I currently have $500 to spend, but I can get more in a couple weeks time.

BTW If I must upgrade my Video Card, a bit of info to know is that the 6200 I have is actually very good for my needs, plus it plays games just fine though I wish it had 256MB of memory instead of just 128MB.

Thanks guys! I am off to go watch Serenity! :thumbsup:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    If your focus is 3D modeling, I'd spend the bulk of that money on RAM.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Of course, but 2GB is really all I need for the time being. I've seen what can be done with my Current Modeling package, and it works great with just 1GB. Production Companies have claimed it works on some of their systems with 2GB as well as the 4GB systems on some of their higher end work.

Though when I get to the point of wanting 4GB then I'll buy a work station dedicated to Modeling. I would just buy an extra gig now, but my current one doesn't like having more than 1GB as I have seen in HL2 most notibly.

But any ideas on a good Socket 754 board?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    OK guys what is going on with things these days with hardware, anything I should be aware of?

I know I've heard something have PCI-E being embedded into the AMD processors soon, am I interpreting that correctly? If I bought a new MB and CPU what should I get? I have been drooling over the Dual Cored Athlon64 X-2's for some time now.... is something gonna get upgraded soon, or has it already come out?

I've had my eyes on this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562 Dunno what MB though...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Your memory that you have is DDR.
    Your CPU is a 775.
    Your video card is AGP.

If you switch you will need to repalce all. Not good.
    I am going to have to think about this.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    It's a Socket 754 Athlon64 3000+

Yeah my current Card is AGP, but it's cheap and effective. If need be, I suppose I could use a PCI-E cheap and effective card :D

Probably have a bit of a sale coming soon :) Including the nice 6200 which runs like a champ which I unlocked the extra pixel pipelines and OC'd a bit. Outdoes my Radeon 9800Pro/XT which is why I am using it now instead. But being a different card, the Radeon can do other things better. But 3D Modeling seems to be NVidia's quadrant for the time since a 5200FX could almost outdo most Radeons.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    First off, it's very good to see you up and about to do this RWB- the hurricanes haven't chased you away.

Also, I'm eyeing that processor series hard myself - so I can do my thing and have nearly a full CPU folding at the same time.

Whatever man, but I think if you have large segments to deal with- memory (like prime said) and HD.

Saw Serenity. It was okay but kind of reminded me of Andromeda and Hare Krishna with a slightly bigger budget.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Thanks Qeldroma, lost a lot of money to gas prices and complete B.S., but I've been saving up for quite sometime for a deal, but that didn't work out understandably. And now I have itchy spending fingers.

BTW Do I know you? Your SN doesn't ring a bell. :scratch:

Anyways, I've been doing my research... nothing new yet but I am hoping some of Anandtechs articles will lead me to other articles to help me in my desision. Gotta lot to catch up on since I haven't been in the hardware game in so damned long.
  • edited October 2005
    I hear good things about the Corsair PC4000 memory, the ballistix tracerx.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    RWB wrote:
    BTW Do I know you? Your SN doesn't ring a bell. :scratch:

I don't think so, but your avatar does strike me as familiar. ;D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    OK Check it out....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813157081

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103562

So I checked out a review on that ASRock system(I remembered it while playing BF2) so I can keep my current AGP Card, but upgrade my CPU and get the X2 processor. I've always wanted a Dual system, and now I get one for less than I was thinking I needed to spend. Once I sell off my current gear(after getting all this setup of course) I can then buy more Memory and maybe a upgraded GFX Card.

All for $425 smacks!

I had contemplated about a new Camera... but right now I am working fine with disposables ;D

Any comments? I'll probably buy it tomorrow before I go see my Grandmother :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Don't forget to ask Grandma's opinion. :D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Ugh... Newegg is being a pain in my arse. I am trying to buy it all NOW and their website just gives me errors and takes too long to do anything :shakehead