overclocking 3500 on dfi nf4 sli-dr

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
im getting close to a stable ceiling for my memory. im up to 285 htt stable as far as i have tested it for like 3 hours so far. 3-4-4-9 3.0 volts.
2.5ghz 1.55v cpu. im hopen i get get 300fsb. i havent run into any problems so far so hopefully i can get into the high 290s and have some space to tighten up the timings a bit and go to a 9.5 or 10 multiplier. i need to do some more tests at higher fsb loose timings and lower fsb tighter timings before i decide were i want to go. anyone have any input on which has been better?

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    ok so i was stable for like 5 hours in prime at 285 fsb i had to come home lansing early so didnt get to test for the full 10 hours i like to. i got home and tried to boot up at 287 fsb and started running prime it failed in like 20 mins..
    went back to the 250 were i was stable ni prime for 5 hours, died in like 30 mins, went back to 280 were i know is stable cuz i did test that for like 9 hours, crashed in prime in like 35 mins....wtf? i was running the bios that came with teh board 3/16/05 or something like that so i update to the latest bios for the hell of it 6/23/05 version and same so now im gettin fairly pissed off so i load optimized settings and run prime on stock, crashed in 40 mins.... im lost :mad:
    edited October 2005
    ive ran 3 passes with memtest and no erros... is there an updated bios that i should flash to or could this just be a dieing cpu? everything was looking so promising then took a complete turn to hell.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    I have had similar problems with my 3500+ Winchester. I used to be able to be reasonably stable at almost 270MHz, now, I cant get past the windows loading screen without a BSOD at 255MHz, regardless of my CPU clock. I've tried a whole slew of beta bios revisions without any improvement.

The odd thing is: I can memtest86+ for 8 hours or longer on test 5/8 at 300MHz 2.5-4-3-7, without a single error, but I BSOD hard at anything over 255 or so. More than likely just a very weak memory controller. These CBBID winchesters are not the greatest in that department.

It is strange how things slowly got worse.

Is your 3500+ a Winchester? Venice?
    edited October 2005
    venice

i tried to flash to a different bios and it went bad now i have a corrupt chip, i need to hot flash it but i cant find a list that has a compadibility with my bios chip... its a
    sst 49lf004b

i hot flashed it in my shuttle and it worked ;D
    edited October 2005
    i just noticed in mbm that my vcore was overvolting like crazy, it was 1.76... i had to drop it to 1.3 in the bios to get it down to 1.55.
    all of my other crap is within .02v of my setting so thats fine but i dunno why it would be that high..
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Very interesting overclocking article: DFI nF4 Infinity & Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Also this a64 overclocking guide http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12960.
    edited October 2005
    csimon wrote:

oh man ive read that so many times i almost have it memorized word for word, the memory section at least, thanks anyway.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I thought so just making sure.
    Have you tried with just one vid card? Are you using both in the sig?
    edited October 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I thought so just making sure.
    Have you tried with just one vid card? Are you using both in the sig?
    no no no, its Rig1-Rig2 both only have one video card sorry about that.

well with a good 6/23 flash on the bios im getting 273x9 for 2.45ghz 1.52corev 3.0dimmv 1.6chipsetv 3-4-4-9 timeings, stable for 11 hours in prime95. that was my first try on these new bios so im fairly optimistic now.

thanks a million to tmod for that hot flashing guide i would have never thought of that.