Two Hard Drives Required for Boot

edited October 2005 in Hardware
I backup my computer (Win 2000 Professional OS) by cloning the primary drive to another drive using Norton Ghost. I have been using this method for some time with no problems. I verify the clone by making it the primary drive and booting on the clone. (My HDs are in removable drawers so relocating HDs is easy.)
After my last backup, I found that neither hard drive would boot unless the second drive was in place. This has not happened before. Since I do not want the backup to ride on the system, I want to be able to boot on only one drive. I ran Norton Antivirus, Disk Doctor and Win Doctor, but no problems were detected. I am stumped. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    A couple years ago I had that happen. As it turned out, for some reason, some of the Windows boot-up files ended up on the backup drive and were absent on the source drive. How? I don't know/don't remember. I fixed it either by running a Windows Repair installation or checkdisk - one of the other, don't remember. If you do have to run a repair installation, make sure and remove the backup drive, or turn off its IDE port.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Use the Windows Recovery Console and type fixboot on the primary drive. If that doesn't work, try FIXMBR next.