Thinking about buying a new PC

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I configured one from Falcon NW pc and this is what i got just wondering if it would be a good idea to do this. Cause i have heard some places that this mobo has some problems.

heres copy of it:
CON Exotix Single Color
Silverstone 600Watt Modular Power Supply
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Asus A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 FX-57 Socket 939
Zalman CNPS7000LED ALCU (AMD)
Corsair TwinX 2048MB 3200XL-PT (4/512mb)
2 X nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB (BFG)
Raid 0 - Requires 2 Identical Drives
Maxtor DM-10 300GB SATA 16MB Cache
Maxtor DM-10 300GB SATA 16MB Cache
Sony 16X Speed DVD-ROM
Creative Labs Audigy II ZS Platinum Pro
Windowed Side Panel - Icon Case
Cold Cathode - Blue

Known issues with this configuration: None

System Price: $ 6,362.23

any replies would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    You could build it yourself, or have a local computer shop build you the same specifications for one-third that price! Holy cow. Not making fun or you at all, just not believing that ridiculous price.

There are many builders here, including me, who just a few years ago built our first computers. It's not that hard. Many folks here just recently built their first. If you'd like to build, we'd love to help you. If you want a local shop to build it for you, we'll help you spec (design, gather the parts) for a top-flight computer. Sorry my friend, but that price is just obscene.

Is it water cooled?

I gather from the specs of the proposed machine you posted, you are an avid gamer. Right?

Anyway, talk to us, we'll help you get set up.

Edit: I just looked at your post again. The machine is air cooled with a decent cooler, but not Zalman's best heat sink/fan, not even their second best! (Again, I'm not belittling you. I/we'd just feel really bad if you spent HUGE wads of cash on a computer unnecessarily.)

Look at my signature - I built all three of those computers. Many members here have built higher-performance computers. Work with us, man! :cool:
  • edited October 2005
    Hey, thanks for reply. Yeah I agree that price is insane..lol. I'm big into gaming, and Ive built 2 computers so far, so I know how to do it and I dont think it's hard at all. I built my first one about 3 years ago, then rebuilt about a year and a half ago. Mainly I was just kinda looking around seeing whats 'best' these days, ya know? It is tons of cash and I really would save money building it myself I know this all from past experience. Buddy of mine just got a falcon so I was checkin it all out and seeing what you guys thought. I'd want to build something similar I think.
    edited October 2005
    OK, understand. You were just using the Falcon as a benchmark - basis for comparison. I'm not a big gamer, but will help marshall forces for you.

OK guys, let's help Hotts spec out a high performance gaming rig.

Alright, first a set of questions:

1. How long do you wish to keep the computer, and do you anticipate upgrading as faster/better components become available?
    2. What's your budget?
    3. Does this rig need to be quiet, or is moderate operational sound ok?
    4. Will you be overclocking?
    5. What will be secondary tasks of this computer? Will you be multitasking - such as encoding or CD/DVD burning while you game (FX versus dual core question).
    6. When do you want all the parts on hand to start building?
  • edited October 2005
    Well:

1. How long do you wish to keep the computer, and do you anticipate upgrading as faster/better components become available?

It would be nice if this next pc lasted me a year or 2. Althought when the 'next best thing' type of items come out they look really nice I don't think they are always necessary.

2. What's your budget?

I would want to spend at most around 2500 bucks. Give or take, depending on what I can get if it's really worth it to me, I'll fork over some more.

3. Does this rig need to be quiet, or is moderate operational sound ok?

Sound has never been a problem for me. Morderate operational sound is okay.

4. Will you be overclocking?

It's something I havent messed with yet, but I would like to start. I have friends who do it but I just never thought it was necessary to push it, but it does look fun.

5. When do you want all the parts on hand to start building?

Soon as I can really. I'm in college with only a part time job, so I'm still saving up for this. I'll most likely buy a few things at a time over a few months, then eventually throw it all together.
    edited October 2005
    Are you already set up with good monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers?

What will be secondary tasks of this computer? Will you be multitasking - such as encoding or CD/DVD burning while you game. This is an FX versus dual core CPU question. Yes, the dual core can let you game and run other applications well at the same time.
    edited October 2005
    Zalman CNPS 9500 CPU heatsink/fan: cooling enough for heavy overclocking, yet quiet.

OCZ Modstream, Dual 12V, 520W Power Supply

Are you sure you want to go RAID? Don't know if it would make much of a difference in gaming. Maybe you'd like to put the extra hard drive in an external enclosure as a backup/imaging device. I used to RAID all my systems, but didn't notice a big real-world difference except in massive data transfers/backups.

OK, I've started it off. I'll let the high performance guys steer you for motherboard, RAM, and video card(s). :D
  • edited October 2005
    Yeah, I'm set up with a good monitor. It's a big trinitron, 21 inch. an E540. I will be getting new speakers. I have some 5.1 creative's atm, but Im not pleased with them really, also problems with the volume control etc. I do frequently download movies etc, and burn dvd's. Right now im running a 2.6 p4 with HT.. and I can burn a dvd while I play games fine. As far as drives, right now I have 2 160 gig ide drives, and 1 usb 2.0 external 160. I do frequently move large ammoounts of data around the drives, as I download files of large size.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2005
    I have never seen a problem with the A8N-SLI
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2005
    i recently built a box for my friend with the A8N-Sli Premium, and it doesnt like having ram in all 4 slots =/ so we had to return the 4x512 and go for 2x1gb. Also i dont really like that heatpipe cooler, it didnt do a very good job. Theres a old 486heatsink/fan combo on top of my buddy's heatpipe now, to help it along a bit. As for the heatsink, I'd suggest a Thermalright XP90/XP-90C/XP-120.
    edited October 2005
    Also i dont really like that heatpipe cooler, it didnt do a very good job.
    The Zalman CNPS 9500? It just came out. Are you sure we're talking about the same heatsink? It's getting rave reviews with every site that tests it. But whatever, the high end Thermalrights are good too.
  • edited October 2005
    Thanks for the replies everyone!
    JChretien wrote:
    i recently built a box for my friend with the A8N-Sli Premium, and it doesnt like having ram in all 4 slots =/ so we had to return the 4x512 and go for 2x1gb. Also i dont really like that heatpipe cooler, it didnt do a very good job. Theres a old 486heatsink/fan combo on top of my buddy's heatpipe now, to help it along a bit. As for the heatsink, I'd suggest a Thermalright XP90/XP-90C/XP-120.

I heard that about the ram as well. So I wil get 2x1gb sticks. Would anyone have a recommendation on the ram I should get?
    Leonardo wrote:
    The Zalman CNPS 9500? It just came out. Are you sure we're talking about the same heatsink? It's getting rave reviews with every site that tests it. But whatever, the high end Thermalrights are good too.

I'll take a look at both of these I suppose. All suggestions are nice :thumbsup:
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2005
    Leonardo wrote:

naw i was talkin about the nforce4 chipset heatpipe cooler on the A8N-Sli Premium. As for ram, maybe you'll want to have a chat with Mackanz from OCZ on the ocz forum about what may be best for you budget/usage.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I would not use RAID-0. Use RAID-1 (backup / mirroring) if anything.

TECHNICALLY, there may be a speed increase with RAID-0, (and I don't think it's all that big of a difference, I can wait the extra 5 seconds) but what good is that going to do you when and if one drive goes bad and you lose ALL your data because only half of everything was on each drive?

RAID-1 it.
  • edited October 2005
    Hey Tim, thanks for that info. Raid-1 does seem more logical now that you mention it. I'll do that.. i don't think it's that big of a deal if its really not much of a difference and seems more safe.
  • edited November 2005
    Hey guys been real busy past month wtih school and work so havent had a chance to pop back in. Still saving up money for this rig I want but i'm still looking for a couple suggestions. If anyone has a suggestion for ram that thye use or know would be really good for gaming and multitasking, same with a processor.. but im thinking the one I posted earlier is going to be the best one :D heh. I'm running a dual core atm and loving it, so I dont know :confused: and does anyone know a site with some cool cases? ive had mixed results searching for one