How much memory do you have?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Just a survey to see how much memory everyone runs. I'm curious as to how much is really enough. If a computer has a decent amount of power, like a P3 1.0 Ghz or higher, I think 512 MB is good if you're not playing games or doing fancy digital video editing or CAD/CAM work.

What do you think? How much memory do you have and why?

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited October 2005
    I have 1.5GB in this rig, a gig in the infiltrator, and extra ram floating around my room somewhere.

why? i do ALOT of stuff at once when im on my machine, not like CAD or anything but i have at least 10 things going.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't remember.

1GB ;) ... I think.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    The SM server has 4gb. Does that count? ;D

I feel that 1gb is the minimum for the 2005-2006 season. Of course, I game, and I use Adobe products (photoshop, indesign, and illustrator especially), so my memory requirements are higher. 1gb min for both Win XP and Mac OSX 10.4

For 'normal' use (internet, typing, goofing around) I feel that a mere 256 is acceptable.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited October 2005
    I only have 512 mb and i'm an avid gamer, it suits me fine for now.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited October 2005
    I have 512MB. I don't game as much so 512MB is enough :)
    edited October 2005
    I decided to go from 512 to 1gb when I was sick of load times for Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2, and UT:2k4. Going to 1gb helped a lot.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    How much memory do you have?
    Depends, really. If I'm in trouble, I don't remember squat! :confused: If someone owes me - nearly photographic. :D

1GB for each home system
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited October 2005
    I decided to go from 512 to 1gb when I was sick of load times for Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2, and UT:2k4. Going to 1gb helped a lot.
    I thought that was the reason why my UT2k4 takes forever to load...

/need 1GB now :D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited October 2005
    1gb. I play CS:S and BF2 (mostly lately) A LOT, and I usually have lots of programs running and multiple FireFox tabs open. I think I'll want to upgrade my RAM sometime again and get 2 gigs or so...

Prime - what kind of RAM does the SM server have?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    1GB for me. My 73-year-old dad and one of my nieces have a GB as well. Neither of them are big gamers, but they both noticed a huge difference when they upgraded from 256MB. :)
    edited October 2005
    1gb. I play CS:S and BF2 (mostly lately) A LOT, and I usually have lots of programs running and multiple FireFox tabs open. I think I'll want to upgrade my RAM sometime again and get 2 gigs or so...

Prime - what kind of RAM does the SM server have?

PC3200 ECC Registered DDR
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited October 2005
    512 MB for me, but it is only SDRAM. I have been tempted to upgrade to DDR but by the time I waste the money I may as well by a whole new comp; That would be like putting hi-test gas in a Sprint.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I said in my first post that 512 MB is a good general purpose amount, but I've worked with several systems that ran nicely on 256 MB in Windows 2000 and XP Home.

My main system (NF-7, Barton 2500 @ 2.2 Ghz) ran good on 512, then when I got the chance I filled the 3rd memory slot to give it 768 MB total. Didn't notice any real performance difference, but then again I don't play any games on my system. It's all digital video editing and video playback. And general internet usage. And folding.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2005
    We mostly have 1 GB.
    Sally's main computer has 2GB.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited October 2005
    I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've read over and over that BF2 has trouble even with 1GB and really should be run at 2GB. I also think that you can't have enough memory for certain applications (like for video editting). Hence I may up to 2GB.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Currently... 1GB. I have a spare 512MB stick, but I've been to lazy to stick it in since I've been planning on upgrading.... for several months :p

This thursday I'l be upgraded, I'll still have 1GB(Dual Channel Goodness...) but I'll be buying an extra stick of 512MB so I can have 2GB.

I do 3D modeling and stuff, so the more the merrier. :thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I have 512m now at home but will either go to 1 or 2 on my new build.
    I had 1gb at the job I just left and I have 1gb at my current job. It's not enough especially if you're doing adobe and cadd.
    I had 2gb on my server which would be nice.
    It would get really nice to have 4gb of fast ram though personally.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Less everyday !!! :(

Main rig 2 gig
    Video editing
    Cad design and 3D modeling

Big Screen gamer 1 gig

the rest of the farm boxes 512mb

Scott
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited October 2005
    2gb for me. It's nice to run multiple programs and decide to take a break and launch a game without having to close them first. Upgrading from 1gb to 2gb didn't produce much noticable difference in ordinary tasks, but loading games and photo/movie editing are much faster.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited October 2005
    Qeldroma wrote:
    I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've read over and over that BF2 has trouble even with 1GB and really should be run at 2GB. I also think that you can't have enough memory for certain applications (like for video editting). Hence I may up to 2GB.
    Exactly. I didn't know how true it was, so I didn't say it. But yes - I have 1gb and BF2 is slow!! I really should up it to 2gb sometime. My current ram is the worst for overclocking. I could only get from 2.0ghz to 2.1ghz. Yeah I know.. quit jumping up and down. I've heard only good things about OCZ Value and its OC-ablity. Might get that...
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    2GB for a while now. Visual Studio & Komodo are a bit of a hog when they are both running.. helps for games too actually as well :D
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    My opteron 142 has 512mb, my P4 2.8 box has 1gb(only because I picked up a pair of free 256's) and my A64(main system) has 1.5gb, soon to be 2gb.
  • b0wzb0wz Tri-Cities Washington, USA
    edited October 2005
    2 Gig for DVD/Video stuff, and big games..........multitasking
    1 Gig for the Game box
    512 for the Linux/98SE box
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    *Note in windows XP the lucky number is 1156MB of Ram and Bam it runs like 40% better.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    1156? 1024MB is one gagabyte of RAM. The difference is 132MB. How on earth can one come up with a total of 1156?
  • edited October 2005
    I have 2 gigs and I have no problems whatsoever, but I am a big gammer and play DAOC. 512 would not cut it and 1 gig was a little laggy so I went all out at the time and got myself 2 gigs
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited October 2005
    2GB for BF2. It ran fine with no problems with 1GB, but it runs even better on 2GB. :)
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited October 2005
    128kb in my Commodore 64. Does that count? :D:D
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I can only remember back to about 1961......

two machines running 512, two running 1G, all dedicated folding boxes.
    THe everyday use machine also has 1G.
    Why? It is cheap and easy and enought for about everything.
  • edited October 2005
    I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've read over and over that BF2 has trouble even with 1GB and really should be run at 2GB.
    I think there is some truth in this. The environments are huge and although I can run the game at full detail I can’t go any higher than 90% draw distance without lots of lag when joining a game. It calms down after a minute or two and a lot of disk grinding.

I have 2 machines that run the game both with 1024mb of some form of Cossair but hope to upgrade my main machine to 2gb so I can increase the draw distance.