LAN problem

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi Guys

I am having an annoying network problem.My kids machine is not accessible from the home network. She has internet connectivity and can connect to any other machine on our network. But we can not connect to hers. ( EMII can't monitor :bawling: ) I have re-run the network set up wizard several times. File and print sharing is enabled, her firewall settings are the same as all the other machines ( XP SP2 Firewall ) I can ping her machine , and it shows up in "My Network Places" But if I click on it I get an access denied error.

Any ideas ???

All machines XP Pro SP2
Linksys BEFSR41 Router All wired connections

It used to work fine

Scott

Comments

• scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Bump

I did mamage to get EMIII reading again. I unshared the folder and logged off and on again, and then re- shared the folder. Now EMIII reads it but I still can't connect through "My Network Places" I also did that with the shared documents folder. still nothing. :scratch:

Any ideas ??

Scott
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    If I've had one big problem with WinXP it's just the one that you describe.

I follow the same procedure for every network setup, yet every once in a while it seems like a computer will come along that just plain doesn't want to get along with the rest.

Here are various things which have worked for me in the past, though not always the first time I try them:

*Try re-running the Network Setup Wizard. This is one of those which sometimes takes several tries for it to work on a box having trouble.

*Map a network drive to one of the shared folders on the box in question. Sometimes doing this for one folder magically makes the other shares accessible.

*Turn off the computer having trouble, reboot all the other computers on the network, then fire up the stinker.

*Try just the opposite of the last suggestion; turn off all the comps, start the roque box up first, then turn on the others one-by-one.

*Fiddle around with the login procedure on the misbehaving rig. If you need a password to login, try using TweakUI XP to take care of it automatically. If you don't use a password, try adding one.

*Get a program called "Takeown" and use it to Take Ownership of all the files on the computer giving you a hard time. Let me know if you need help finding it.

I'm sure I'll think of more things to try; when I do, I'll post them.

Good luck. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    XP and networking - what Prof said:

Recipe:

Run wizard.
    Run wizard again.
    Third time.
    Say a 7th century Armenian chant.
    Reboot all computers....twice.
    Try a 10th Century Russian Orthodox chant.
    (Don't cuss, or you'll have to start all over again. :eek: )
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    If you're behind a NAT router, the built in windows firewall is pointless. turn it off on all machines. You don't need the firewall on your internal network. As long as a computer doesn't have a static IP on the internet, the XP firewall is only going to annoy you.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    If you're behind a NAT router
    "NAT" router? Prime, I'm running my wireless network on a Linksys WRT54G, set to WPA pre-shared key encryption. The router firewall is also turned on. So, are saying then that Windows Firewall performs nothing useful for my network? But couldn't one just consider it another layer of security - weak or strong, but nevertheless another fence?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    ...(Don't cuss, or you'll have to start all over again. :eek: )
    That's where I've been going wrong. And here I thought my Navy training was going to be useful... :rant:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    "NAT" router? Prime, I'm running my wireless network on a Linksys WRT54G, set to WPA pre-shared key encryption. The router firewall is also turned on. So, are saying then that Windows Firewall performs nothing useful for my network? But couldn't one just consider it another layer of security - weak or strong, but nevertheless another fence?

That's what I'm saying. Windows firewall is useless - you're already behind a firewall.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    *Turn off the computer having trouble, reboot all the other computers on the network, then fire up the stinker.

*Try just the opposite of the last suggestion; turn off all the comps, start the roque box up first, then turn on the others one-by-one.

Turn off all the computers ?? as in not folding ?? I am not sure I have ever done that before.....OFF.....Really ? OK I'l Try it.
    Leo wrote:
    XP and networking - what Prof said:

Recipe:

Run wizard.
    Run wizard again.
    Third time.
    Say a 7th century Armenian chant.
    Reboot all computers....twice.
    Try a 10th Century Russian Orthodox chant.
    (Don't cuss, or you'll have to start all over again. )

I have tried this method and i did not cuss? Oh wait a minute I think I used a 6th century Armenian chant. :( Now I have to start all over again.

Thanks guys

I will give the untried suggestions. :thumbsup:

Scott