Memory Question

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hello,
Im building a computer which is going to be soley for gaming. Ive gotten all the parts except for the memory. Ive got two questions on the memory. Im going to go with a 2GB setup (2x1024MB) and narrowed it down to two choices of memory, they are...the OCZ EB DDR PC-4000 1024MB Platinum Edition Dual channel (DDR 500 with timings of 3-3-2-8) and OCZ DDR PC-3200 2GB Platinum Edition Dual Channel (DDR 400 with timings of 2-3-2-5).
My questions are 1)Which one of these two memories would give me the best performance in games if i was to run them out of the box at stock speeds/times?

Question 2) Whats the difference between DDR 500 PC-4000 With loose timings and DDR 400 PC-3200 with tight timings? Which one of the two is faster out of the box at stock settings? Would the DDR 500 PC-4000 with loose timings be better for games or will the DDR 400 PC-3200 with tighter timings be better for games?

Thank you...these are the parts I allready have:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego
DFI LanParty SLI-DR
EVGA e-geforce 7800GTX KO
Western Digital Raptor 74GB Serial ATA150
PC Power And Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Express/SLI

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    General rule is that tighter timings will give better speed. In this case, unless you will be overclocking your CPU along with the HTT, the DDR 400 2-3-2-5 should provide faster system response. If you will be overclocking the CPU with the HTT (FSB), then you would need DRAM that can operate at a higher frequency, giving the tentative nod to the DDR 500.

With my own mostly unscientific testing, I've found that often DRAM at CAS 2.0 at X frequency will often keep up with or outperform the same DRAM at CAS 2.5, X+ frequency.
  • edited October 2005
    So..by going by what you said the DDR PC-3200 would give me better performance in games out of the box at stock speed/timings than the DDR 500 PC-4000..correct?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited October 2005
    it really depends. some apps like more memory bandwidth and some don't respond that much to an increase.

in any case, i think you need to get up around 275 (ddr550) at 3-4-4-8 to compete with ddr400 @ 2-2-2-5. since the timimgs you posted are a little different so it is hard to say. i think anandtech had an article on this very issue a while back....

here you go...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2497
    "So, while our recommendation for not needing higher bandwidth DDR memory remains as is for single core Athlon 64 owners, if you happen to be a heavy multitasker, you’ll find that the Athlon 64 X2 can benefit from higher speed memory in scenarios like the ones that we’ve outlined here today."
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    The OCZ DDR PC-3200 2GB Platinum Edition Dual Channel (DDR 400 with timings of 2-3-2-5) will give you the best performance at stock settings, end of story.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    In what order do you guys place those timings? On my motherboard they are 2,3,6,3... I dunno which number is which such as tRAS... I know CAS Latency is always first generally.