lost ipod (number to call?)

edited October 2005 in Internet & Media
i have lost my ipod! i haerd there is a number i can call. It at all possible.. could someone please tell me this number? thanky ou if you can!!!

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    You would have had to register your iPod with a service that registers your serial, but otherwise you're SOL. Your best bet is to call your local police department.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    I wasn't able to find a number specifically for that, but you could try calling the Apple Store: 1-800-MY-APPLE

EDIT: Kwitko was too quick-o for me. :D
  • edited October 2005
    it is registered... and 1800myapple is not the number, i tried that one
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Did you register with Apple or did you register with a company like www.lostipods.com?
  • edited October 2005
    Kwitko wrote:
    Your best bet is to call your local police department.

i hope that's a joke...
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited October 2005
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    he's right. Call the police. What else can you do?
    edited October 2005
    ...What else can you do?
    If he has registered (and paid for) a service like the one Kwitko linked to, it would be worth his while to get in touch with them. I wouldn't get too excited about my chances of getting it back in either case, but I'd bet they offer at least as much hope of finding it as the police. (Probably more, since the iPod registry isn't going to be distracted by also having to hunt down murderers, rapists, and those in violation of the RIAA.)

shorty28898, when you say "it is registered", what type of registration are you referring to?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Unless it's actually insured, there isn't anyone you can call, I sure as hell don't think the police are going to care...
  • edited October 2005
    I wish we lived in a world where people actually tried to return valuable lost items they've found. One of my friends mentioned he found (and decided to keep) a Palm Zire which was left on a table in a hallway at school. I nearly hit him in the jaw.

With a popular device like an iPod (with such easy to find the necessary supporting cheap cables and software cheaply and easily), I'd say you might as well start saving for the video iPod right now, because your chances with getting it back is about equivalent to a snowball's chance in hell.
    edited October 2005
    It's not always a bad ending. I was able to recover a laptop that had been stolen 18 months earlier. I had to get police from two states involved, but in the end, we got the laptop back.
  • edited October 2005
    wow two states, i registred it with apple, like the cd it gives me.
    edited October 2005
    ...i registered it with apple...
    If they are unwilling (or probably just unable) to help you, then your only real chance is to file a police report and hope you get lucky. Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things the cops have more urgent matters to attend to. If you've got a record of the serial number it might at least help you recover it if the thief tries to pawn it.
    edited October 2005
    start watching ipods on ebay closely. that's where my laptop ended up.