New BIOS Chip after bad flash, still won't post.

edited October 2005 in Hardware
OK, so I built my own computer in July.

About two weeks ago I flashed my BIOS like a jackass and my system never came back up.

The people at MSI assured me it was a BIOS chip problem and sent me a new chip.

I installed the new chip, and still nothing. All the lights come on, I can open and close the drives, but my moniter stays in standby, and I can tell there is nothing going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Have you reset the CMOS? Unplug the computer, move the CMOS jumper to "Clear", remove the CMOS Battery, then let it sit for half an hour.

Replace the battery, move the jumper back to "Normal", plug it in, then see what happens.

If that doesn't help, remove the cables from all your drives and try the same process again.

Good luck! :)
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2005
    Did the computer ever boot before you flashed the bios, or did it stop working after you flashed it.

If it stopped working after you flashed it(and it previously worked), i almost guarentee you messed up the flash, or else something crazy happened. but theres like a 99% chance its the chip, and you should reset the CMOS.

When you got the chip from MSI did they flash it? alot of times they will just send you a blank chip and expect that you will flash it, or they will charge a small fee. I had to do the same thing with my ASUS motherboard and i had to pay like $10 for the chip and like $3 or something for it to be flashed. This was a while ago so i forget hte prices, although its not too bad.

But for now reset the CMOS and see if that fixes it.
  • edited October 2005
    I apologize for my newbness, this is my first hour on the board.

But on my Neo4 Platinum, there is a CMOS clear button. Am I safe to assume that serves the same purpose as messing with the jumpers?

I pressed the button and then removed the battery. im going to wait a bit and then see what happens.

Sound good?
    edited October 2005
    Crubald0 wrote:
    ...I pressed the button and then removed the battery. im going to wait a bit and then see what happens.

Sound good?
    Make sure it's unplugged, too. You've got the idea, though. :)
  • edited October 2005
    nope still nothing. I mean all the lights are on and things are spinning, but my moniter stays in standby
  • edited October 2005
    does this mean i killed my motherboard? or is that a possibility?
    edited October 2005
    Do you have a different video card you could try? If you have an old-style PCI (not PCIe) card I'd try that. It will at least narrow it down a little.
  • edited October 2005
    no, i dont
    edited October 2005
    You say you built the computer in July, how long did it work before the bad BIOS flash?

Describe the other hardware you have, especially the MB, video card, PSU, and RAM. Give us the brand and model number.

If you have more than one memory module, have you tried it with just one stick? Are all the power connections to the MB and video card (if applicable) hooked up properly?
  • edited October 2005
    it worked before the flash from july until i flashed it about a week ago.

Radeon x800xl 256 MB
    2 Gigs Corsair RAM (4x512)
    MSI Neo4 Platinum Mobo
    430 Watt PSU, dont know the brand off the top of my head but its a good one
    edited October 2005
    Crubald0 wrote:
    ...2 Gigs Corsair RAM (4x512)...
    Try it with just one stick in the first slot for now. :)
  • edited October 2005
    could this just mean that my motherboard is fried and I need a new one?
    edited October 2005
    A bad BIOS flash shouldn't damage the board.

Have you tried using just one stick of RAM?

Can you get the people who sold you the replacement BIOS chip to tell you which version is on the chip?
  • edited October 2005
    just tried with one stick of RAM, still nothing

and I told the MSI guy what my motherboard and model were and he sent the chip. He never said anything about versions, but I would assume it was the same as the previous one.

Nobody said anything about me having to do any more than installing the chip
    edited October 2005
    If they sold you a replacement BIOS chip then sent you one that was unflashed, I'd say you got ripped off. I would be really surprised if that was the case, though, unless they just goofed.

At this point I'd say your options are these:

1) Return the new BIOS chip and get a replacement.
    2) RMA the whole MB.
    3) Get a friend with a similar system who wouldn't mind letting you borrow parts to try out in order to isolate the problem.
    4) Take it to a computer shop and pay them to do the same thing as in option #3

Grasping at straws here, but are you sure the replacement BIOS chip is seated properly and is oriented the right way?
  • edited October 2005
    well heres my question. What COULD it be? I mean is there anything I can do that without question will solve this problem? I mean if i gotta go spend 100 bucks on a new MOBO, Id rather do that than sit around screwing with this thing. Ive been w/o my computer for a week and i just want it back haha.

1) Where is a good place to get a new BIOS chip? I mean it took MSI a week to get me the last one. Am I supposed to call them up again and say send me another one?

2) Im not sure what RMA means, my apologies.

4) Would this solve the problem?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    If you need access to your computer right away, your best bet would be probably to do just what you suggested - buy a new motherboard. Then you can sort out the problems with current motherboard/CMOS chip. I understand the frustration. It's awfully hard to diagnose a system when it won't even post.
    edited October 2005
    Crubald0 wrote:
    well heres my question. What COULD it be? I mean is there anything I can do that without question will solve this problem? I mean if i gotta go spend 100 bucks on a new MOBO, Id rather do that than sit around screwing with this thing. Ive been w/o my computer for a week and i just want it back haha.
    I'm not sure about MSI, but many manufacturers will cross-ship you a replacement part. If that's the case with them you could possibly have a replacement in hand very soon - perhaps even overnight if you're willing to pay for the extra shipping cost.

The way this works is that they will charge your credit card for the replacement part, then refund the money once they receive your old MB. If you're in a hurry (and who wouldn't be) this might be your best option.

They may want to get weasel-ish about the fact that this all started with a bad BIOS flash. Stick to your guns and point out that if the board had a defect to begin with, that alone could have caused the flash to fail. If you are polite - and insistent - they will likely work with you.
    1) Where is a good place to get a new BIOS chip? I mean it took MSI a week to get me the last one. Am I supposed to call them up again and say send me another one?
    One of our members offers a Bios Chip Replacement / Re-programming Service. A good local computer shop would also probably be able to help you.
    2) Im not sure what RMA means, my apologies.
    Return Merchandise Authorization. It basically means that the company is aware that you are sending the item back for possible warranty replacement. It gets the paperwork started so the part doesn't just show up with no documentation. You get the number from the manufacturer.
    4) Would this solve the problem?
    Taking it to a computer shop and paying for a full checkup ought to find the problem; fixing it may cost you more. Some repair shops will give your computer a quick checkup for a reasonable fee. (Others will rip you off for every dime they can get - be sure you know what they're charging before you authorize any work.) If you go that route, I'd recommend that you print out this thread and take a copy with you. The technician will be grateful to have a list of what has already been tried, hopefully saving him time - and you money. If you brought your system to me the first thing I'd do is stick all your parts in a MB I knew to be good. If things fired up nicely I'd then stick good parts of my own in your MB. If nothing happened I'd know right away that it was the MB and/or BIOS. Since you just bought the board in July, I would then send you to MSI for a free replacement. A less-honest place might cheerfully sell you a new MB, most likely at a hefty markup.

EDIT: It took me forever to type all that - I didn't see Leonardo's post. :)
  • edited October 2005
    well i caved and just bought another mother board. The fine people at Tigerdirect assured me this would solve my problem, and if it didnt, they'd take it back.

So I'm gonna plug it in and see what happens.

Thanks for your help, and I guess the moral of the story is, dont do anything stupid.
    edited October 2005
    Crubald0 wrote:
    ...I guess the moral of the story is, dont do anything stupid.
    Flashing your BIOS isn't stupid, assuming you follow the proper procedures and have a reason for doing so to begin with. :)

RMA the MSI board, then sell the replacement they send you. At least you'll recoup some of the money you've spent. :thumbsup: