A computer for business

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys! Me again.

My mother has a very OLD computer so I suggested building a new one and thats what Im gonna do, build her a comp.

She has a ebay business and opens A TON of internet explorer tabs at once, which is why she will need hyper threading.

What I plan to get for her is

1gig ram
A nice SATA seagate hardrive
a 400 watt power supply
both the fastest dvd/cd drives
A nice case (nothing to high tech looking might freak her out LOL)
A good heatsink (fanage cooling etc)

Now the motherboard I have no idea what to get.... what would you guys suggest? It would have to support SATA.

Ill post some stuff ill search on newegg but got any tips links on some good deals to go with?

Shes not into gaming at all just wants a blazing fast computer, I was thinking just to reformat her current one (god knows how much crap is on there)

Need your guys help! Thanks! :D

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    not sure why you think HT is gonna be the answer to opening a bunch of IE instances. Has nothing to do with it at all.

A clean install of XP on a amd 2000+ 32bit athlon with 512mb ram is plenty for her. She can open 10 tabs of IE on that computer and never run out of ram if thats mostly what she uses her computer for. She doesnt NEED a super fast computer, 1gb of ram or HT.

She is the perfect person to just go to dell's site and pay $450 for a computer with a warranty. Especially with the other options you have presented here.

tex
  • edited October 2005
    She is the perfect person to just go to dell's site and pay $450 for a computer with a warranty. Especially with the other options you have presented here.
    I agree. These days you wont save money building these kinds of machines. Buy something with a good support package so when it goes wrong she has somebody other than you to call.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    She has a ebay business and opens A TON of internet explorer tabs at once, which is why she will need hyper threading.
    MSIE only ever uses one thread.

She needs ram.
    edited October 2005
    and unless the computer is loaded to the gills with other crap she can run 6 to 8 IE process's easy on 512mb.

YES I agree that ram is more important then HT but its not like the lady needs a GB of ram for what she is doing either.

Tex
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I agree with the rest of them - forget a build-it-yourself unless the truth is, you actually just want to build a computer ;)

Buy the cheapest dell you can, and then up the ram. I disagree with tex, I think 1gb is a good idea, knowing the habits of ebay junkies ;)

Tex, never underestimate the power of a woman who knows her ebay! I can easily see 30-40 instances of IE open with a power-ebayer lady! ;D
    edited October 2005
    I live on ebay and never have more the 3 or 4 screens open for anything. She just needs me to teach her how to eBay efficently.

Tex
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2005
    "Tailor the computer for the person, not the person for the computer"

:D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Get her to ditch IE. It's a decent browser, and the security is improved over what it used to be. She should try Firefox with tabbed browsing. And, if she needs separate windows/processes for for Ebay items, then she can open separate instances of Firefox, each with separate tabs. I am so accustomed to the beauty of tabbed browsing, I just couldn't go back to IE unless of course, tabbed browsing were added to it.
    edited October 2005
    deicist wrote:
    "Tailor the computer for the person, not the person for the computer"

:D

????

Right.. Lets make a computer for her to open 30 instances of IE in rather then show her how she can do it better with 4 and a little training. Just because they do not instinctively "know how" to do something without training does not mean its the best way?

Tex
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited October 2005
    True I tell her to keep it to a min of the tabs. I only keep like 4 windows up at max....

Really its just a habit she does, instead of just using the same browser which she no longer need she just opens a new one.

But going with a dell would be a good idea

(ya I kinda just wanted to build a comp... heh heh)
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2005
    Tex wrote:
    ????

Right.. Lets make a computer for her to open 30 instances of IE in rather then show her how she can do it better with 4 and a little training. Just because they do not instinctively "know how" to do something without training does not mean its the best way?

Tex

Oh I agree in principle, but in this specific case I just think it'd be easier in the long run to stump up for the extra RAM (which isn't going to cost that much anyway) than try to teach her how to use Ebay more effectively. with the cost of hardware (particularly memory) being as low as it is I think it makes more sense with some users to forget about turning them into more effective computer users and just get them a PC which lets them continue to work how they always have. There's a certain type of user who doesn't care what's in a PC, doesn't want to learn how to do things the 'right' way and just wants to do what they want to do, how they want to do it. She sounds like one of those users.