DELL 4600 motherboard

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hi everyone,
How can I tell if my Mobo needs updating and what mobo I have?

Thanks.

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2005
    You have a DELL. I think your stuck with it.

Next time build your own computer - It's not hard. :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Well, you can check Dell to see if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2005
    If you buy a manufactured computer like dell, hp, gateway ect... theres like a 99.9% chance your stuck with it. maybe a bios upgrade will be available but thats not really gonna do anything
  • edited October 2005
    Thanks for your replies guys.
  • edited October 2005
    With all that said, most dell systems at least use a standard ATX or mATX (or BTX if it's pretty new) form factor so it is possible to upgrade to a standard motherboard, with a few things kept in mind. One thing is that on many dell systems, they used a proprietary pinout on the power supply (psu) that will plug into a regular production motherboard but will fry it along with the psu when it's powered up. So it's a good idea to plan on replacing the psu with a new industry standard psu if you are changing the dell mobo out with a regular production mobo. Another problem that you will run into when changing out an OEM mobo (of any of the major computer manufacturers, not just dell) for an industry standard mobo is that the connectors for the front panel lights and switches will most probably be proprietary in design for the particular mobo that's in the case and will have to be modded to be used with the new mobo. This can be done (I've done it several times myself), but it can be a real PITA. Finally, dell usually uses a cooling scheme that is unique to each particular model and chassis, so be prepared to have to go a whole different route to cool the processor when changing to an industry standard mobo.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2005
    So in a nutshell Be prepared to buy a new mobo ($75-150) , Power Supply ($50-100) CPU ($75-400) and probably a new case also ($35-100). :)

Lets also thrown in a New Video Card ($100-300), Memory ($100-300), and a new faster larger Hard Drive ($75-200) And Viola you have a new Much Faster Computer!

;D;D;D