SMx Eligibility - Site staff

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
Please vote as to whether you feel Short-Media staff (moderators, supermoderators, and administrators) should be eligible to host SMx rigs.

IMPORTANT: Please note that this only applies to staff who are NOT on the Selection Committee. The persons who are involved with the selection will NOT be eligible, period.

Please feel free to express your opinion with a post as well :) No one will take it personally.

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    i voted no can u change that! i didnt read it closely!
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I think the staff who host this place and do all the work should definitly be eligible. If they want the honor of hosting one of your fine SMx rigs then they should be in the running most def. :)
  • BDRBDR
    edited September 2003
    As long as they are not doing the Selecting Process, why not?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    Yes.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited September 2003
    If someone from the selection process wants to host they should be allowed to be entered. Just not allowed to vote for that round.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited September 2003
    Any one should be eligible to host an SMX rig, the more the merrier!

It gets a bit tricky here in the UK and I couldn't possibly put myself up against the UK regulars.

But the point remains: anybody should be able to run an SM Rig, they just have to be keen and dedicated to the cause. If you are a moderator, then you already have a track record.

Cheers

Crypto :D
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited September 2003
    So long as the selector's are not themselves eligible, I see no reason why an admin type shouldn't host. Hell, so long as the selector's sit out that round of voting, AND the other selector's can be objective, let the selector's choose as well.

SMx rigs go to those who are around here and contribute the most, the very people who contribute the most are the admin staff. They deserve the privledge of hosting.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Gnomewizardd said
    i voted no can u change that! i didnt read it closely!

No prob. :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    26-1, I think staff are gonna be eligible.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2003
    I would say its looking Unanimous :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I want to know who voted no. I propose a stoning of the kind related to rocks, not THC.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Actually, General Keebler, that makes VERY good sense-- let those not selecting be eligible.

Here's a bit of IMHO why:

Staff tends to be experienced with boxes, and by hosting one they can study detailled tweaks that might benefit others if shared. They TEND to be computer-savvy and also that means tehy can repair a broken box they are hosing faster and easier without reloading and losing a large part of a WU in the process under many circumstances.

If two or three folks on staff had SMx boxes, they could look for trends, like many tinkers being released and fed out on the distributed network adn let us know what is up in some cases. As an idea, let me throw this out-- rotate, say with severalmonth periodicity, who is on selection committee, and further mod this concept so that only those on selection committee for the boxes in the period they are on cannot have boxes "awarded" druign that period. If that is done, all folding staff will have a chance to get a box SOMETIME (except maybe a selection committe chairman\coordinator who might choose to stay in a selection committee coord position longer for simple policy continuity reasons and thus give the process more stability than shifting everyone) and also they will have a builtin LESSER chance than regular users as they will be inelligible for several months each year.

Does that sound reasonably balanced???

John.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    i know this is off topic...but who is on the selection commitee?

i dont have a problem with anyone being able to win the smX machinces...as long as they are not on the selection commitee.

fc
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    By all means, staff should be eligible. They are even more reliable than regular members for uptime maybe and definitely on being in contact.
    edited September 2003
    FatCat said

8 members are on the SMx Selection Committee: TBonZ, mmonnin, Leo, seversphere, TD, mudd, t1rhino, and I.
    edited September 2003
    I can always stay on the Committee and not get a machine cause if I do then it will stay with me at the apartment which means my other 3 roommates would have to split the electricity bill. I dont want to have put that burdon on them since I have 2 here all ready and plenty of other computer parts all over the place.
  • edited September 2003
    I'm perfectly happy not being able to host a SMx rig since I'm on the committee, seeing that I'm already paying to run 8 rigs right now. I figure that adds about $100/month to my electric bill to run and cool all those beasts.:eek2: I had to add a 9500 btu window ac to supplement the cooling in my computer room.

I do think that my fellow staff members that aren't in the selection committee should be allowed to host SMx rigs as they become available though; it's only fair since they aren't included in the selection process.:thumbsup:
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited September 2003
    General Keebler said
    FatCat said

8 members are on the SMx Selection Committee: TBonZ, mmonnin, Leo, seversphere, TD, mudd, t1rhino, and I.

(writing out checks)

Hmmm... is muddocktor one word or two?

Sorry, I'm from Chicago - rigging elections comes with the territory.

I think staff should be eligible, nuff said.
    edited September 2003
    General Keebler said
    FatCat said

i hate to be a thread crapper...but how is it that "some" members of the selection commitee "host" SMx machines?...

just curious...thats all..not attacking anyone, i think all of u are great guys

fc
    edited September 2003
    FatCat said
    i hate to be a thread crapper...but how is it that "some" members of the selection commitee "host" SMx machines?...

They all got their rigs before they were members of the selection committee ;)
    edited September 2003
    General Keebler said
    FatCat said

They all got their rigs before they were members of the selection committee ;)

makes sense ;) so how does one go about being elected to the commitee?...

man keebs i got this huge urge for some crackers and pepper jack cheese...:D i gotta stop thinking bout that elf

fc
    edited September 2003
    Its mainly FAH mods, past FAH mods and others that help out and participate consistently.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Basically, anyone who does not have the budget for an extra machine and participates otherwise should feel free to declare themselves out of the running for an SMx box for personal reasons. In my case, my budget runs to two high powered boxes, and am more likely to upgrade to an SMP compliant processor and run multiple clients than to build extra boxes and power whole system sets and cool them.

There is another thing that might help, if we could gather funds and take one by one the SMx's to SMP processors it could give us 1.4-1.7 times the production per SMx box(RAM would have to be heavily emphasized as to both speed and probably twice as much to get 2X or more production per upgrade, as the WUs are read in and out of RAM actively as frames are calced).

This would put higher end boxes in the hands of those proven most capable and at the same time in some cases free parts for new boxes-- where mobo and CPU has to be pulled, often RAM has to be pulled also,and that would free up a core for a new box that should run as well as the old one before upgrade. If the PSU has to change for this, recycle thePSU also. With recycling this way, you get not only a faster box in more proven hands, but also many parts for a new one. (while I realize this is off-topic a tib, the people that are likely to end up with faster boxes are those that have them now first, and those that would be likeliest to get them next woudl be the next onces selected, and it would let us build new boxes also-- depends on how important increased stable production points are).

John.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited September 2003
    Ageek said
    Basically, anyone who does not have the budget for an extra machine and participates otherwise should feel free to declare themselves out of the running for an SMx box for personal reasons. ...................

yada, yada, yada....

John.

Are you saying you want to finance the upgrading of 20 SMx machines to SMP-capable rigs? If you are footing the bill, I'm sure we'll all go for it. 99% of the parts for these rigs are donated from members. I don't know too many people who have spare MSI K7D's laying around to donate...

However, those of us with our heads below the clouds should recognize that SMx machines are awarded to individuals who are dedicated to folding for the cure, not because they can afford a high end box. It's about charity, not personal folding stats or financial status. :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :confused2 :confused2
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Thrax said
    I want to know who voted no. I propose a stoning of the kind related to rocks, not THC.

I was the one who voted no. When i was staff, i didnt have a chance to participate. Why should that change now?

Makes no sense at all to me.

Mac
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    Perhaps they got them before they were on the com, or before this rule was enacted/voted on?
  • edited September 2003
    I luckily and thankfully was chosen to host SM9. Then Leo was called to duty and I stepped up to manage the Team Fund when asked. Because I held the money I was asked to become part of the selection committee and have tried my best to do what's best for the Team.

SMP rigs are possible for future machines but upgrading is just not worth it - monetarily and just the hassle/risk of all the upgrading and S&H costs. Besides hardcoding multipliers, the SMP boards are not good for overclocking yet which is a big part of the best bang for buck position I take on team rigs. We do the best we can with what is donated and make up the rest with the fund money. The Folding client has come to a point where it's best if we start a minimum requirement for cpu type being P3 and higher on the Intel side and Palominos/morgans or higher on the AMD side because of the SSE optimizations. Another reason for minimum cpu requirements is the whole cost of S&H and use of donated parts/money just to setup a Duron and yes even Tbird rig when a little better cpu and we can get a lot more out of the rig. This isn't a rule or anything yet just my opinion and what I see as technology progresses and more and more people will have "old" palominos and P4 to donate. We can work with lesser chips in other ways such as selling them or using them for backup if a person still wants to donate them. In the coming months this project will get even better based on ideas like this and future discussion amongst the staff - that's a promise from me.
    edited September 2003
    a2jfreak said
    Perhaps they got them before they were on the com, or before this rule was enacted/voted on?

Ummm... scroll up to the first post on the page ;)
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    :) I voted yes but I'm sure there's a reason why in other 'competitions' it always says:

'Memebrs of staff of [insert company name here] and their friends and families are not eligable for this competition'.

Therefore, as we're all friends here, I propose that nobody be able to host any sm rigs :D - hey, it's standard rules, what can we do about it????

~Cyrix
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    OK... I voted no.

The way I see it is, I do not have the time to offer much assistance to the Website other than a few posts a day. I am not in a position to be a moderator or admin. BUT, I still want to help out for the site and for the Team. The only way to do that is donate money, which I have, and host a SMx rig. I see SMx rigs as a way to "honor" those individuals that have offered something to the team and the site but are not otherwise recognized.

I figure that the last three SMx rigs I threw my hat in and I was honored to be selected as the host of SM19. I would be fairly confident that any SM staff member would be a front runner in the selection. I know that the selection committee would be as fair as possible, but as others have indicated, most staff members have contributed much more than the average member and have the wherewithal to be very component in hosting. If you go by the requirements set down by Keb's and Mmonnin... Staff members would be the best selection... From the outside viewpoint… "Hey the staff members are always getting the SMx Rigs"... I figure that there is somewhere around 18 staff members. Half of them either already have a SMx rig or don't want one. That leaves at least 9 people in the running for SMx rigs. Theoretically, we would be around SM28 or so before the members would have a good chance at hosting.

Remember, I already have the honor of hosting SM19, and I’m truly grateful for that… But I hope this gives you a view from the outside.