Hypthreading = 2 Instances FAH?

CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
I'm somewhat of a Pentium 4 newb, because I havent been looking into them at all until recently. But as in another thread I posted, I will most likely be coming into a Pentium 4 3.0ghz w/ Hyper Threading soon, and I was just wondering how this hyperthreading worked with folding.

on the HardOCP article I read it said Hyperthreaded P4 = two logical processors to the system, so I was wondering if once I get that I will be able to run dually instances of F@H. I could be totally wrong on this, just checking it to see if I can find another way to up my production! :D

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Yep. Two independent instances.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited September 2003
    It acts like 2 cpus. You will need to either disable ht, or run 2 clients. Just make sure you set the CPUID in each to a different cpu.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2003
    hyperthreading + 2 instances of folding = faster overall folding than with HT disabled
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited September 2003
    TheBaron said
    hyperthreading + 2 instances of folding = faster overall folding than with HT disabled

Only with XP or 2003 server. ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Hypthreading = 2 Instances FAH?

Indeed! And quite well at that.
  • edited September 2003
    Could someone post a link that has a step-by-step guide to setting it up for a hyperthreaded CPU? My Dad has a 2.8 Ghz comp coming at work in another month. I know I've read one before, but that was long ago...
  • edited September 2003
    Well common people! The sooner I know the sooner I could do more for the team.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    One client has to be the console. If you do one of each then set up the GUI like normal. Then setup the console in a separate folder. Set it up like normal with machine ID=2. Run each with the -local tag. If both are consoles, make one with ID of one and the other with ID=2. GUI is automatically ID=1 so the console has to be 2.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    mmonnin said
    One client has to be the console. If you do one of each then set up the GUI like normal. Then setup the console in a separate folder. Set it up like normal with machine ID=2. Run each with the -local tag. If both are consoles, make one with ID of one and the other with ID=2. GUI is automatically ID=1 so the console has to be 2.

I run mine as a service using FireDaemon service manager. Can I run two instances of it as a service if I do the initial configuration of the second one with ID=2 ?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    The firedaemon that I have used (1.5 lite) to set up folding only allow one service to be installed.

If you get a pro version of it I guess you could. Both have to be consoles with -local in the parameters.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    With my system 1, one instance is graphical (without screensaver); the second one is console using FireDaemen.

With this setup, you don't have to set any 'tags'.

Look for this passage: "How to Run F@H as a Service - WinNT/2K/XP. Uses Fire Daemon, credit to Lombers"

on this page .