Google Offers F@H In Their Toolbar?

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited October 2005 in Folding@Home
I just stumbled across this today.

It apears, according to that page, that google has embedded the F@H client in their toolbar and they call it google compute.

Have I been under a rock, or is this new?

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    rorotongarock.jpg

From what I understand, it asks you if you want to participate, but doesn't elaborate too much. I don't know for sure though, I don't use the toolbar. That page does state that the toolbar no longer comes with Google Compute, though. I don't know when they stopped.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited October 2005
    :scratch: hmm I missed that the first time...

Sux, I could really use that. Really use it. Maybe they'll re-enable it someday.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited October 2005
    Large%20boulder%20on%20Boulder%20Roc%20k_reduced_Sept04.JPG
    bigger rock.
    edited October 2005
    cassini-jupiter-best-desk-1024.jpg

Biggest rock known to man. :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Sux, I could really use that. Really use it. Maybe they'll re-enable it someday.
    You would want Team Google to get credit for the work your computer rather than Team 93? :scratch:
    edited October 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    You would want Team Google to get credit for the work your computer rather than Team 93? :scratch:

I kind of assumed there would be a way to configure it for your own team. I guess that explains why google is ranked so high. And I thought it was from a huge cult following or something.

Wonder if it was ever on by default. seems like a great way to recruit new folders. Super easy to install and enable. Automatically folding for google.

:scratch: Ya know, we could use something like that... a scripted installer package with a nice gui that an average everyday user would find familiar, that automatically folds for 93.

I dont have any packaging experience, but would imagine its possible.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    I kind of assumed there would be a way to configure it for your own team. I guess that explains why google is ranked so high...
    At least they don't count them as a true "Team". They basically shunt them off to the side with the non-aligned Folders. (see pic)
    ...we could use something like that... a scripted installer package with a nice gui that an average everyday user would find familiar, that automatically folds for 93.

I dont have any packaging experience, but would imagine its possible.
    People have suggest that before, but Stanford strongly forbids doing it. I suspect their reasoning is that there would inevitably be someone who would come along and write a "silent" installer program so they could sneak it onto people's computers without them knowing about it. The next thing you know the Intraweb would be awash with reports of the new F@H "virus". :rolleyes:

Even a simple script to create an installer which automatically sets the team# is not allowed. :(
    edited October 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    I suspect their reasoning is that there would inevitably be someone who would come along and write a "silent" installer program so they could sneak it onto people's computers without them knowing about it. The next thing you know the Intraweb would be awash with reports of the new F@H "virus". :rolleyes:

Makes sense, that wouled be some real bad publicity for F@H...

Kind of sucks though. I wonder how google was able to get permission to put it in their toolbar.
  • edited October 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    At least they don't count them as a true "Team". They basically shunt them off to the side with the non-aligned Folders. (see pic)

People have suggest that before, but Stanford strongly forbids doing it. I suspect their reasoning is that there would inevitably be someone who would come along and write a "silent" installer program so they could sneak it onto people's computers without them knowing about it. The next thing you know the Intraweb would be awash with reports of the new F@H "virus". :rolleyes:

Even a simple script to create an installer which automatically sets the team# is not allowed. :(

Prof is dead on about this. There have been several people that have released stealth installers onto p2p networks that have gotten caught and Stanford is very proactive about stomping them down and zeroing the accounts out. They don't want F@H even remotely looking like it's a virus or trojan associated with the project. About the installer though; you can make an installer provided that it makes the installation download the client from the official Stanford website. In other words, you can make an installer to help you out with setting up your configuration and the folder, but it must not contain any official Stanford exe files or User ID#, which are only to be downloaded from Stanford's official site. This way they can be sure that nobody has reverse engineered the client and added unwanted "surprises" to it.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    Biggest rock known to man. :thumbsup:
    Err... that's actually a ball of gas... and it's not the biggest one... :o

;)
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited October 2005
    Err... that's actually a ball of gas... and it's not the biggest one... :o

;)

The largest solid mass is orbiting a sun clasified as HD 149026
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian