PC won't boot now...

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
I was just changing the HSF on my CPU from the stock one to a Zalman Flower or whatever it was I used to have on my Socket 754 system before this one. I also put some AS Ceramique on both the CPU and GPU.

My system specs...
Athlon64 X2 3800+ (now with zalman power-flower! lol)
ASRock SATA2 (AGP+PCI-Express)
1GB PC3200 DDR Kingston HyperX
MSI 6600GT PCi-E
520W PSU(forgot which brand, but it's really sweet)

OK So everything I can tell you that I have done so far and what it's given me as a response....

I switched out the MSI 6600GT PCI-E with my ol' Geforce 6200 AGP card, same EXACT problems.

I have taken off the HSF on the CPU and checked to make sure the thermal grease was doing ok. It seemed fine.

I have reseated my RAM multiple times, changed DIMMS even.

Unplugged all unessesary peripherals... to no avail.

plugged, unplugged, turned on/turned off many many times....... ugh

Ok, so here is what happens every single time. Nothing. The system seems to come alive, but it doesn't boot, black screen, no post, nothing. When I had both of my CD/DVD-ROM's plugged in the CD-RW would have the green light on constantly, the other did nothing. I couldn't even open them up, but they had power at the time.(before I unplugged everything non-essential).

No beeps, no clicks, no nothing but the sound of a few fans hissing along merrily seemingly mocking me as I try to figure this out. I've had similar problems with this board after I messed with stuff that it wouldn't want to boot, but after a few restarts it would be fine again.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Can you try a different board and/or cpu? Maybe you shorted out something with the ceramique.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Did you perhaps loosen any jumpers on the motherboard? It almost sounds like a locked BIOS. Have you tried resetting the BIOS? Try the jumper reset method first. If a no-go, then remove the CMOS batter for half an hour. If that doesn't work --

This might not be the most technically proficient troubleshooting protocol, but this what I would if it were my machine. Completely disassembly the machine and start over with assembly. The disassembly will include removing the CPU from the socket. Just start over. Test the motherboard outside of the case with RAM, video card, and CPU/HSF only.

My guess is that the system is OK, it's just got a static lock somewhere or a grounding problem.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Can you try a different board and/or cpu? Maybe you shorted out something with the ceramique.

Unfortunatly no... If I did have another board I'd be using that one instead :shakehead

Leo... I'll check on what you mentioned, good idea I didn't think of the jumpers or resetting the BIOS... I had figured it would reset for me after reboting several times. Thanks, brb in a few
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    My only conclusion is that my MB is D.E.D. DED err dead. :P

Ugh, at least I still have my old computer becuase no one wanted to buy the parts yet. I even have the OS installed on an older drive I had laying around while testing the stuff I am selling to be sure it worked 100% before boxing it all up.... lucky me I guess. Less work to do tomorrow. But I won't have my PCI-E card that I just bought :(

Anyone have a good Socket 939 board they can trade me? :D
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited October 2005
    It seems unlikely but since your not getting anything at all, your bios chip could be dead or something. I've had that happen to me before.

:cheers:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    It seems unlikely but since your not getting anything at all, your bios chip could be dead or something. I've had that happen to me before.
    So have I. One more suggestions. Remove the CMOS battery and leave it out overnight. Try to boot into BIOS when you get up tomorrow.. At this point though, I'm ready to agree with you RWB - it's looking like a dead motherboard. But then, it might just be a bad BIOS chip.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Leo thanks very much for your help thus far brotha. Unfortunatly it still does not work.

I'll call newegg tomorrow, becuase I am not paying to ship a board that didn't work properly in the first place. I've been too nice, and I have paid too many times to have my goods shipped back to newegg. I figure I am owed something, perhaps a cross shipment if possible for the amount of money I've spent there. Hell I'd even pay if they were to cross ship with me so I can get a working MB back ASAP.

Hopefully I can get a credited refund back, this way they still get my money plus some extra, but I want a different board instead. Now that I don't need AGP.