Sm_24

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Folding@Home
Okay, so things haven't been going so smoothly with mah baby. SM_24 was moved to a new location so it's been down for the time. Which sucked. So I went to put in a new wireless network card (Belkin $35 walmart special) and it got cranky. I mean really cranky. Like BSOD stop errors on boot up. Tried to fix it in the recovery console per M$'s instructions- nach. Didn't work.

So my brother-in-law and I will install Gentoo this week and make it all better. Nothing beats a good re-format. :thumbsup:

So in short:
SM_24 is down
SM_24 is being fixed
SM_24 will return to full-time non-stop 24/7 dual processor folding in no time!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2005
    Thanks for the heads-up, Buddy J. :)

You may also want to consider prime's Folding on Linux guide if gentoo doesn't want to play nice. :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    (Belkin $35 walmart special)
    I don't know if that card is the source of the problem, but it wouldn't surprise me. I bought the same card when I put together System 3 a few weeks ago. It's been the most unreliable, either wireless or wired, networking card I've ever used. It cuts the computer out of the my home network two or three times a day. The affected computer is only about two feet away from System 1, which never gets bumped off the wireless network (Linksys card).
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Boards that old have fixed IRQ sharing schemes, you might want to try putting it in different PCI slots if you haven't already.

-drasnor :fold:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Thanks for the update Buddy Jesus... keeping us informed is really all we ask and you're doing a great job!!!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Well, if the card turns out to not play nicely with Gentoo, I'll remove it and replace it with the old NIC. If I can make the wireless card work, I'll send the NIC back to the parts depot so it can bless another SMx rig with its presence.

Nick, the bro-in-law, is a Gentoo nut. I think we shouldn't have any major problem getting it to work nicely.
    edited October 2005
    Started the Gentoo install last night. This is my first real Linux install so I'm learning a good bit. Nick, the awesome bro-in-law, decided a stage2 install would be good and I didn't argue. Spend last night watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail while installing. The rig is at his house right now, happily downloading packages and compiling and whatever.

When I get off work tonight, I'd think that should be done and we can start the kernel.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Remind him to use DistCC to speed up most of the compiling.
    edited October 2005
    Let's see, a Linux install along with MP&THG?

Sounds like nerd paradise. :p
    edited October 2005
    Blammo! She's back.

Got Gentoo rollin' with folding on both processors, plus Enlightenment and Firefox for those moments when you just need things to look pretty. Can't wait to see if the new "tuned" OS helps bust out any more points.
    edited October 2005
    The Linux F@H client is considerably slower than the Windows client, so you'll probably have a decrease in score rather than increase...
    edited October 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    The Linux F@H client is considerably slower than the Windows client, so you'll probably have a decrease in score rather than increase...
    What do you base that on? :scratch:
    edited October 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    What do you base that on? :scratch:

It was common knowledge a while back. Most people if they made them dedicated folding machines would actually run it through Wine to try and get some of the lost performance back. No idea if the client has improved since then though...
    edited October 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    ...No idea if the client has improved since then though...
    Let's find out. :)

Buddy J, do you mind if we monitor the output over the next month or two to see what difference there is (if any) in performance using current clients? I just took some screenshots of the EOC stats for SM_24 up to this point; we could revisit this issue after there is enough data under Linux for a fair comparison.
    edited October 2005
    Lets do it. I want to get some real data.

Of course, we'd have to take into account the project's current point/unit status. If Stanford starts flooding the project with low point units, the average score may be a bit low.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I've got a huge log from a linux box (AXP @ 2GHz) that I can put up if people want to compare frame times.

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~hanusaem/FAHlog.txt
    http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~hanusaem/FAHlog-Prev.txt
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    SM25 has been running Gentoo for a while now, it's been fairly easy to maintain. Glad to see it's brother in arms is ditching the habit ;).

-drasnor :fold:
    edited October 2005
    shwaip: Thanks, man. I'll look through those. :thumbsup:
    ...If Stanford starts flooding the project with low point units, the average score may be a bit low.
    Good point. It seems to me they run in waves on about a 2-3 week cycle. This should cover enough time for a reasonably accurate comparison:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    Just compare frame times. Its that easy. No need to track months, thats too inconsistent with all the different types of WUs.