Who has the first Athlon 64?

JBJB Carlsbad, CA
edited September 2003 in Hardware
Hey, im interested in hearing how these babies perform first hand, so who has the first one at S-M?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    To my knowledge, only three of us (SMJ, Myself, and Prime) have played with the Hammer series of chips, and we played with an opteron 146.
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited September 2003
    I'll be the first.....anyone want to donate some money? Or buy all my old stuff? :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Thrax! It's a 144!

Yes, RadeonMan, I have an Opteron box sitting on my workbench folding for team 93 at the very moment.
    edited September 2003
    Right, right. 144.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2003
    i'll be interested when someone here shells out the $700 for an FX-51
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited September 2003
    yeah, im interested in the 64 3200+ and the FX51, but i wouldnt argue if prime wanted to pass me his 144 :D
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited September 2003
    TheBaron said
    i'll be interested when someone here shells out the $700 for an FX-51

Hmm... That's too much. I think I'll wait until it goes down to around $175-250.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited September 2003
    The only reason I didn't get onto the Athlon 64 wagon is because I don't have the top end INTEL P4's. AMD wanted a comparison and be damned if I am going to shell out $1000 CAD for a P4.

:banghead: :bawling: (Intel won't talk to MM and about a million other sites)
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited September 2003
    What did they want, a 3.2? Leo can clock up to 3.2 speeds, and so can I. Maybe they were afraid...

Big :thumbsdow to Intel for that one.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Thrax said
    To my knowledge, only three of us (SMJ, Myself, and Prime) have played with the Hammer series of chips, and we played with an opteron 146.

*cough* May 1st this year I was @ MSI playing with dual Opterons *cough*
    edited September 2003
    Hey, he's only 5' 2"... The guy has to have SOMETHING to compensate, okay?

:crazy::nudge: :Pwned:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Alright alright, handbags at arms length :rolleyes:

NS
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I am extremmly tempted to dish out my new found money and live off of Ramen Noodles for the next several months to buy one of these. Problem is, WHAT IS THE DAMNED DIFFERENCE?! What is so different from the Opteron/Athlon 64/FX/FX51 and whatever else they have out?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I know! Lets all go bug this guy.
    Congratulations!

Marty Rice, of Cleveland, Ohio was the grand prize winner of the AMD Athlonβ„’ 64 High-Tech Processor Treasure Hunt and will be awarded a brand new AMD Athlon 64 processor-based desktop system and a $6,400 cash prize.

We all know he has one as well as enough money to buy pizza for a weekend of benching and testing. :thumbsup:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I want one... Have to save for it though...
    edited September 2003
    RWB said
    I am extremmly tempted to dish out my new found money and live off of Ramen Noodles for the next several months to buy one of these. Problem is, WHAT IS THE DAMNED DIFFERENCE?! What is so different from the Opteron/Athlon 64/FX/FX51 and whatever else they have out?

Athlon FX-51: Dual Channel DDR400 support, requires registered but not ECC memory. Operates at 2.2GHz. 940 pins.

Opteron: Dual channel DDR333 support, requires registered but not ECC memory. Currently operates at a maximum of 2.2GHz on the Opteron 148. 940 pins

Athlon 64: Single channel DDR400 support, requires regular old memory. Operates at 2.0GHz. 754 pins.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    Thrax edited his post (above) so this is no longer relevant.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Most of the board MFRs are specing registered RAM or very good OCable RAM. Essentially, in this case, the RAM sold for OCing could be registered, and these days paired sticks matched as closely as possible are considered equiv of registered in newer sense. Good Corsairs actually meet the specs, though in many cases the validation is internal to mfr and never publicized per se. Crucial can get registereds also, as Micron makes them. Those with VERY good QC can pair sticks from same batch and get results that are excellent, though the pairs SHOULD also be individually tested and often are before pairing.

John.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Ageek.
    How does paired/matched/whatever-you-call-them sticks of RAM come anywhere near being considered equivalent to registered? And what do you mean by "newer sense?" In a sense of arbitrarily re-defining registered RAM? I fail to follow you. :scratch:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    Well, I for one am waiting for the socket change early next year. That'll give Via and nVidia time to refine their chipsets anyhow. And, the first Athlon 64 I get will probably be in a notebook; if I end up going away to college, I'm probably going to try to get a desktop and a laptop as graduation presents; probably a SFF system and LCD plus a laptop, and assuming Sager comes out with something like this, I'll probably get something with an Athlon FX and whatever the current mobile gpu is...
    edited September 2003
    Hahah I got a graduation party and a meal at a nice restaurant for my graduation gift. ;)
    edited September 2003
    Edited my post. Was just copying and pasting a paragraph 3 times and forgot to make the edit for the a64.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited September 2003
    primesuspect said
    Hahah I got a graduation party and a meal at a nice restaurant for my graduation gift. ;)

I got a meal at home, my favorite, but none the less a home cooked meal... just like every other night... Course we were broke so I was happy with that...

Tek
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2003
    i got a good old pat on the back with the attachment : have fun paying for college
    edited September 2003
    Lol this is gonna turn into one of those:

"Oh yeah, well I was so poor that......"

;)
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited September 2003
    lol

:D:p

Gobbles
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    I'd start talking about how we're so poor that when I got a laptop for my school's laptop program in the summer of 2000, I got stuck with a stinkin' P3-600/160MB/6GB/14"/DVD/8MB ATi system, but I don't want to deal with the huge outpouring of sympathy that I'm sure I'd get. ;):D;D;D
  • FAH_WWFAH_WW Training in Indianapolis, IN
    edited September 2003
    I've got a dual Opteron 240 system. It is solid but too slow for real-life usage. Something like a 244 or above would have been superb.

The FX is great if you're loaded. I'm not (as I just bought that duallie, hehe :D)

A64, with a VIA or SiS chipset is currently my favourite 'let's see how it goes' as the NV chipset quite frankly is a BIG disappointment to me, and I believe also to Prime if I'm reading it right ;)

I DO think it's a superb CPU. Also I think the P4 3.2HT, EE is Intel doing their PR-thing, sad they felt they had to jump on AMDs big moment. I dont think the P4EE adds value, but that's just a side-issue.

AMD should crank up the speeds, drop the pricing a bit & get those A64s running out at quantities. PCWorld and places like that should be PRed to say 64 is more than 32... That's where the money is. Let's face it, we would all buy the best we can afford, whether we need it or not to some extent ;) (I know you all need it ;) like me :D hehe) - but the real cash is the Joe Bloggs of this world - it's gotta be better than the neighbours machine, somehow ;)