hitachi Ultrastar 15K147

edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hi all im new here ,I'm building an overclocked monster using a asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo and am curious as to if this board will control 2 of these hitachi Ultrastar 15K147 drives drives in raid0 config for serious hi end gaming also if anyone else out there have used these drives are they as good as some i have spoke with recomended before i shell out the cash for them or if anyone has any other suggestions would be appreciated currently i have a maxtor 300gig 16meg buffed hd i wish to use as well :confused:

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    I don't think that SCSI drives would be the best choice for you if you are putting together a gaming rig. It is generally very expensive GB per GB, and you'll be unable to use those drives without a U160/U320 raid controller card, which will add another large price tag to your purchase. The performance improvement from those 15k drives will do little for your gaming experience. Those drives are really intended for very disk-heavy operations common in server/workstation environments.

I'd personally just pick up another maxtor 300gig like your current drive, and run those in raid-0. Those are nice drives, and would be great in a gaming rig. Use the money you saved to invest in low latency memory, and a high end graphics card. If you still want faster spinning hard drives, take a look into WD's WD740 10000RPM raptor drives. They operate on the much more common SATA platform, and have faster seek times than their 7200RPM competitors. You could use a raptor or two as your system partition, and keep your 300GB drive a storage drive. Many possible combinations you could use, and pretty much all will be cheaper than using 15k scsi drives.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Not to crap your thread but that motherboard is two years old now and you're only going to be overclocking last year's s478 Pentium 4's and steadily disappearing AGP graphics cards. Though there are some decent overclockers on that side of the fence, since you have the budget for a pair of Ultrastars you should seriously consider buying a current motherboard; something that accepts s939 AMD Athlon 64's or X2's. For what two of those Ultrastars cost plus the cost of a decent U320 controller you can build an entire gaming PC. That Maxtor hard drive is a good start, I find RAID to be a tad overrated for desktop use since your games really shouldn't be hitting the hard drives that often but if you really want to try it go with lemonlime's suggestion.

-drasnor :fold:
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    if you wanted to go scsi those are middle of the road at best drives
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I have no idea why you'd want to build a top-notch gaming rig based on an Intel 478 platform - oxymoron. AMD 939 platform is the way to go.
  • edited October 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    I have no idea why you'd want to build a top-notch gaming rig based on an Intel 478 platform - oxymoron. AMD 939 platform is the way to go.

got to work with what i have thaks for the advice tho
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    OK then, that makes perfect sense. :thumbsup: Know the feeling.