Motherboard gone?

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Symptoms: computer will not boot at all, fans do not spin up, but motherboard LED lights

System:

CPU - AMD “Barton” XP2500+ (retail with Heatsink/fan unit)
Motherboard - Asus A7N8X-X (NF2-400)
Memory - 2 X 256MB Kingston Value Ram PC3200
Video Card - BFG Nvidia GeForce FX5500
Monitor - Samsung Flat CRT 753DF
Case - Antec Solution Series w/350w Antec Smart Power PSU
Hard Drive - WD800JB
Lite-on Combo Drive LTC48161H
Windows XP Home
Floppy drive

Don't know exactly what precipitated the problem. Computer was not moved, no software added/removed, and no hardware was touched at all. Owners came back to the room after having been away for a couple hours. Computer was off. It would not reboot. Fans would not even spin.

I built this system for my daughter and her boyfriend 18 months ago. (Ahh, aren't you glad for the story!) It's now in Connecticut so I don't have access to it. The troubleshooting steps we've taken have been over the telephone, as will be any further steps. Steps we've already taken:

- all internal cables checked
- power cord connected directly to the wall
- video card removed, contacts cleaned, reseated
- DRAM removed, reseated
- CMOS jumper moved to reset BIOS
- CMOS battery pulled, let sit an hour, re-inserted

Sounds to me like a bad power spike has killed the motherboard...maybe the CPU also. (They never did get a UPS like I recommended. :shakehead ) Any more troubleshooting steps we can do over the phone? My daughter and her boyfriend are NOT technically experienced enough to pull the motherboard and try to boot it outside the case.

Comments

• CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited October 2005
    Hmmm green LED indicates power supply OK to MB, red LED indicates AGP fault. :scratch:

So sounds like power supply is OK.

No beeps, no fans does rather sound like dead MB although I'm not sure what a dead CPU would do?.

Sorry not much help, just that the rig is almost exactly the same as mine.

Good Luck, Crypto :(
  • edited October 2005
    It's still possible the psu could be fubar. One of the voltage rails could have gone south.

One other thing they can try is to unplug the power leads from all the drives and then see if they can get to a post screen. I had a floppy drive die once that brought the whole system down like that; when I unplugged the floppy power cable the machine booted up normally.