Copying photo's from pc folder to disk?

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Internet & Media
Hi all,
Just a minor question about copying photo's.
I would like to put photo's from my pc onto CD/DVD.
I have programs to do it. I have CD-R copiers and DVD-R copiers.
I'm just not sure if I should put them on a CD-R or DVD-R.
Haven't copied pics from a pc to disk before.
I've done tons of photography-black & white & color.
Even have my own darkroom setup. Although I don't develope anymore because I use digital camera now.
These are pics my wife took of family.
Also our belongings, her parents belongings in our houses for insurance purposes.
Hurricanes here in Fla and all that. We need to keep records of all.
And I figured photo's on disk, put away in the safe, would be a good idea.
I know it's kind of a silly question, but I'm not sure which would be better.
Thnx in advance for replies.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I don't think it would matter whether you burned them to CDs or DVDs. But, be aware that any kind of burned disc has a limited lifespan. A disk's exact lifespan hard to predict, but keeping them stored flat and at a mild temperature will help. Some of the CDs I burned five years ago are either partially or completely unreadable.

It's just something you may want to keep in mind if you want the pictures to last a long time. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make another copy of the backed up photos (preferably from your computer's hard drive, if they're still stored there) every year or two.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Cool, Thnx for the quick answer G.
    We'll probably be taking new pics every Yr anyway to update.
    Appreciate the help. :thumbsup:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Copied em over to a CD. No problem. Took about 3 mins for 50 or so pics.
    And with XP, when you put the CD in it gives you options on how to view the pics or send then via email etc. Nice. Thnx again.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    my mom has a similar situation with storing her digital photos. Whats the best way to store them for an extended period of time? Say she has a CD for each 6month period- She may not access certain ones for 10+ years. What would last the longest? I was wondering about a flash drive for storage? What else can you store photos on?? :scratch:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    The point Gargoyle made about CD's having a limited life span is a good one.

What I do is mark the date each disc was made, then re-burn them every year or two. Lots of times when you do backups you don't use anywhere near the full capacity of the disc, so when you make the fresh copy you can often fit several discs worth onto one new one. Since I've gotten a DVD burner I've started re-copying my old CD's to DVD. It's nice to be able to update seven discs (minimum) or as many as a couple of dozen (for partially filled CD's) onto one nice little DVD.

It takes a bit of organization, but it's well worth it in the long run. :)
    edited November 2005
    hmm I had just never heard that CD's didn't last long
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2005
    DVD-R for increased storage capacity...that would be the only plus. Other than that, both types of disk are highly portable (not just physically).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    hmm I had just never heard that CD's didn't last long
    Pilot, that's new information for me as well. Maybe negatives an B&W prints aren't so outdated after all!
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    ...Maybe negatives an B&W prints aren't so outdated after all!
    Uhhh...not so fast...

Film photography has made great strides, but is still not perfect. Negatives and prints will degrade over time as well. They are also more difficult to store properly for archive purposes.

My dad spent several weeks scanning in over 1,200 color slides shot between 1959 and the early eighties. There was a period during the mid-sixties where just about every one has developed a greenish tint to it. I've been taking the scans and adjusting the color balance on them so they are viewable.

Here is a before and after example:
    edited November 2005
    thats weird.. but good job salvaging what you could :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Film photography has made great strides, but is still not perfect. Negatives and prints will degrade over time as well. They are also more difficult to store properly for archive purposes.
    Well, yes, no argument. That's why I specified "B&W". Starting in the mid-sixties, the dyes used in color printing and in movie positive film were corrosive. The chemistry prior to this era of color was different. Most color material from that era (mid-60's and on) is degrading, some beyond salvage. Black and white - both negatives and positives, has escaped that problem. Also, older color production, especially movies has not had the problem.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited November 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I don't think it would matter whether you burned them to CDs or DVDs. But, be aware that any kind of burned disc has a limited lifespan. A disk's exact lifespan hard to predict, but keeping them stored flat and at a mild temperature will help. Some of the CDs I burned five years ago are either partially or completely unreadable.

It's just something you may want to keep in mind if you want the pictures to last a long time. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make another copy of the backed up photos (preferably from your computer's hard drive, if they're still stored there) every year or two.

While in many cases this is true with cheap/inexpensive DVD-R/CD-Rs you can spend more money to buy high quality CD/DVD-Rs that will last you much more then 2-4 years.

What you are talking about above is something called "Disc rot" and i beilive it happens when oxygen gets between the two layers of plastic protecting the siliver film in between. it is easily identifiable because on the bottom (and in many cases the top) of the discs get wierd black/brown dots, they look like freckles, that my friends, is disc rot. This is the biggest reason why i dont like buying cheap CD-Rs unless i have to.

Verbatim, Sony and other big brand CD-R/DVD-Rs dont get disc rot as easily. look around on the net and read peoples reccomendations.

I prefer Verbatim, and ive had the best luck with them. no disc rot here!!

Maxell is one brand where sometimes i get disc rot, and sometimes i dont... i dunno... but some of my maxell CD-Rs from 3-4 years ago have balack dots all over them... so... take your chances guys!

good luck!!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Thnx guys for all that interesting info.
    Good recovery job on those photo's prof.
    And yes Verbatim has been my choice of CD-R's and DVD-R's for most of the time I've copied anything. So, I guess I picked a good one.
    I have Verbatim's that were copied and are still clean from 6-7 yrs ago.
    You made me think twice about my copies, so I checked the older ones and they're fine.
    edited November 2005
    You could get lost in here for years, but the points made about differences in media seem to be validated. :)
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited November 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    You could get lost in here for years, but the points made about differences in media seem to be validated. :)

Nice find prof!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Thnx prof, Interesting reading. :thumbsup: