Migrate from Athlon 64 to X2

sgtwilliamssgtwilliams Grand Rapids MI
edited November 2005 in Hardware
939 MSI mobo will I need a reinstallation of Windows to migrate from a Athlon 64 processor to an X2?

And on a completely different topic I think my 2 humble PCs have broken the 10,000 mark folding.

Have a peachy day!

Comments

• edited November 2005
    I think you only have to download a driver or something from AMD's website for an X2 upgrade on an existing os install. I guess I'll be finding out next week when I get in from the rig as I have a Toledo 4400 waiting for me at the house. I plan to install and tweak it a bit, then redo my main rig with the X2 system.
  • sgtwilliamssgtwilliams Grand Rapids MI
    edited November 2005
    Excellent Thanks. I should have the new proc in hand by Friday so I will post here with my findings.
  • edited November 2005
    That's great to know. One other thing; if that driver update deal doesn't automatically do it, you might have to reset the OS from Uniprocessor HAL to Multiprocessor HAL, but I would imagine that driver will do this for you.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Id still recommend doing a clean install to ensure that the HAL is setup to be multiprocessor :)
  • edited November 2005
    That's what I plan to do when I migrate my 4400 to be my main rig, Shorty. But first I'm going to play with it with it's present install of 2K Pro that's already loaded on the machine the mobo is in presently, set up to be a folding rig. I use my main rig as my sat connection machine, since the Direcway system I presently use has to use software on the main connection computer to work properly. I just use ICS to connect the rest of my home network to the net, but the main rig has to be dead reliable to keep everything up.

Once I'm convinced that I have it dead reliable, I will then move all my new components to my main computer's case (mobo, proc, ram and vid card) and then format and new XP Pro install time. ;)
    edited November 2005
    Actually, Il change my answer ;D

I sold my 3200+ this morning and upgraded to a 3800+. Booted into windows, it detected the MP capability & rebooted again. Now I have two processors showing up in task manager and I can see applications being split across both cores :)

Mud, you are gonna love it! :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    You may need a BIOS update as well; which Socket 939 MSI MB do you have?

On a related note, I thought I'd try the new BIOS for my K8N Neo2 even though I hadn't upgraded the CPU yet. Maybe I just had bad luck, but I ended up with a board that didn't even want to finish the POST. I had to jump through hoops to be able to flash back to the old BIOS.
    ...on a completely different topic I think my 2 humble PCs have broken the 10,000 mark folding...
    I happen to think you are right. :D
    edited November 2005
    CDW ships slow. CPU arrived today I will test this tonite.

And broke 12K some time this morning I think.
  • edited November 2005
    Well, I got in from the rig last night and this morning I took the 9NDA3+ system down to change out the proc for my new 4400. I had flashed the latest bios before I went out to the rig 2 weeks ago, so all I had to do was change out the processor, which I did. I then booted back up and went to bios straignt away to watch temps for a minute or 2 and that 4400 wasn't running any hotter than my Winnie. I then rebooted and let Win2K Pro load up and no problems booting, but also still running under the uniprocessor HAL. I then updated the processor to a multiprocessor HAL, using the update device drivers wizard and then rebooted. I then started up and the task manager showed both cores running. :D I then started an instance of folding and sure enough, it showed usage at 50%. I then started a second client up and usage is now pegged at 100%. :thumbsup:

Right now I'm running at stock speed and this thing is running really cool, at 34 C with 2 clients folding. I also noticed that this proc not only folds with 2 clients on the p147x/p1481 work with no problems, but it is also showing a pretty linear increase of ppd, showing that this machine isn't memory bandwidth limited either. Also, each core at 2.2 GHz is folding these wu's faster than my old Winnie could fold 1 client running at over 2.5 GHz. Looks like the extra L2 cache definitely makes a difference in performance.

I'll be doing a little overclocking with it later today, but first I will let it run where it's at for a while.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    this thing is running really cool, at 34 C with 2 clients folding
    That's simply outstanding. MUCH cooler than a P4 (even a Northwood) with two clients folding under hyperthreading. I would imagine my future machines will be dual core AMD-based systems. The only reason I'm using P4 Northwoods now: 1) they are tremendous folders if two F@H clients run under hyperthreading, 2) great bang for the buck since these machines were built from slightly used components

GO AMD!
    edited November 2005
    That is cool the current Athlon64 3200 in that system now runs 41C and up so I am curious to see how this runs all other variables remaining the same.
    edited November 2005
    I must say I keep on being impressed with my X2 :D
    edited November 2005
    Running a bit hotter than my Venice 3200 so I might need to reseat the Fan and Heatsink and re-apply the thermal grease. Idles at 41 or so but got as high as 59c during some City of Heroes last night.

As for the install went smooth, Windows did the driver and asked for a reboot.

More to come
  • edited November 2005
    sgtwilliams, I'm not running the stock hsf that came with my X2, I'm running an SLK948-U with an 80mm SmartFan2 on it, so my cooling solution is probably quite a bit better than the factory hsf. However, the factory hsf that comes with the retail proc doesn't look bad at all, with 3 heatpipes. If you upgrade the fan to a decent 80mm fan on it, I imagine your cooling will improve a bit.

This X2 doesn't look like it will be a stellar overclocker. I now have it up at around 2500 MHz and had to bump vcore up to the 1.525-1.55 range to get it folding stable. My folding temps have now climbed to around 40-41 C, which is still just great.

I'm debating with myself whether I should take a chance on buying an Opteron 165 and seeing how it will do and selling this 4400.
    edited November 2005
    I actually have a Thermaltake HSF combo that I was running on the old Athlon64 and I think I am going to clean both this weekend and redo the thermal grease as the temp is way higher than the older CPU.
    edited November 2005
    Brand new application of Arctic Silver and it is more stable at 49 and 50c with a degree either way. Still very confused since the Athlon64 it replaces never ran above 48c no matter what I did.

I am not an overclocker so I am well within the operating temps but being that far off the mark from what others are posting concerns me.

My system temp is 36c

I tested with the cover off to ensure it isnt a lack of airflow but that isnt the case. Updated the bios to boot.

Do I have anything to worry about? Opinions?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    My system temp is 36c
    Your case doesn't ventilate well or your room is fairly warm. BTW, 49/50* is no problem at all for your CPU. What's the model on that Thermaltake CPU you're using? Thermaltake makes a couple decent coolers, but they are better known for hype than performance with respect to CPU heatsinks.
    I tested with the cover off to ensure it isnt a lack of airflow but that isnt the case.
    I still stand by what I said. Besides air flow, the direction of flow is very important. In one of my cases, Antec Super Lanboy (System 3) I had to install a low CFM (quiet Panaflo 80mm) to direct cool air to the CPU heatsink. I was able to lower the CPU temps by several degrees. I changed nothing else with case and CPU HSF setups. Before the change, cool air pulled in adequately at the front of the case, but it was pulled out the back of the case bypassing the CPU fan.
  • EnverexEnverex
    grumbles about not being able to upgrade to X2 due to being on socket 754 and having to upgrade his motherboard too then probably everything else due to different sockets or technologies.
    Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    grumbles about not being able to upgrade to X2 due to being on socket 754 and having to upgrade his motherboard too then probably everything else due to different sockets or technologies.
    edited November 2005
    I have to say that perhaps I should learn to leave well enough alone.
    I say that as I had no problems with the Athlon64 that was in this machine and it is my game/music machine but heck what good is playing around if you dont break things in the process. But I digress........

Since installing I have had a couple oddities. First off heat, I was getting 60-64c under load.

Tried the Stock HSF for giggles, no change
    Tried a brand new Thermaltake same model new application of grease and now I have it down to 51c at peak 45c idle. 30c case temp plenty of airflow not a hot room
    Upgraded the Bios to MSIs latest
    Upgraded the MSI corecenter using this AND MBM to monitor heat.

Yesterday 2 times my Core Center started howling at me that the CPU and the Northbrigde fan were off. Thanks to a flashlight and a clear acrylic side to my PC case I saw that this wasnt the case at all. Reboot and it clears up. I will have to say that Core Center has been less than stable with this new X2 CPU compared to the older 64.

I have a spare Gigabyte Mobo that I am going to fire up with the old processor and get some new memory for(I replaced this mobo due to its need for "good" memory) and see what I find.

My largest concern is the fact that I dont think this CPU should be running this hot. But purely my opinion nothing more.
    edited November 2005
    Ok found a possible new driver on AMDs site, I will try this tonite. I havent modified anything besides what XP SP2 loaded when I installed it.

More to come,