using 100% of both CPU's

ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
edited November 2005 in Folding@Home
i just noticed this today. F@H process is using both my cores at 100%, its never done that before. WinFAH.exe 48%, and FahCore_65.exe 51%, i always keep the cpu usage at max to use 1 full core. but its never done that.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    How many Folding@Home clients do you have installed? On my P4 (Northwood) systems, I have two clients each installed. Both computers have hyperthreading enabled: one F@H client for each physical and virtual CPU. For a dual core setup, you should have two clients set up, one for each physical core.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited November 2005
    its only 1 client running. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling too.

now its FahCore_82.exe @ 51% and winFAH.exe @ 48%
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Armo wrote:
    its only 1 client running. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling too.

now its FahCore_82.exe @ 51% and winFAH.exe @ 48%

Yea i just checked my A64 3800 X2 Normally it uses 50% not 100% and now its going full tilt. Somethings fishy
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2005
    Do you have the Window open by chance when you are looking at it. I dont see why the client is taking up so much CPU time.
    edited November 2005
    Do a ctrl-alt-delete and see what processes are running. If you configured the client wrong, your computer may be starting an instance of Folding as a service, and a second instance through the Startup folder in Documents and Settings. If you see two Fahcore~.exe, you've got two instances up and running. I did that once - had three instances running on one of my hyperthreaded P4s.
    edited November 2005
    here
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited November 2005
    looks like you have two FAH cores going their, not one
    edited November 2005
    But i end em and only start the program once
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited November 2005
    have you checked your services in admin tools

it might be loaded as a service
    edited November 2005
    Nope not loaded as a service, the only thing ive done is change it to deadlineless
    edited November 2005
    I'm running the console version, and have renamed the executable to ~ console I (or II) for each P4 machine. For each instance of FAH, I have listed in Processes FahCore_xx.exe and Fah[version number]Console I (or II). To me, it looks like your system is incorrectly reporting CPU usage. F@H is a single threaded application, so would both CPU cores engage? I don't know the operational protocol of dual core technology well enough to answer that question. It would be interesting to see what Processes reports for CPU usage if you open another program that requires significant CPU resources.
    edited November 2005
    i tried watching a dvd it locks lol
    edited November 2005
    i end FAHcore_79.exe it drops to 50% then i close the task manager and it restarts itself
    edited November 2005
    Need a better analyst here than me. Now it does sound like you have a second client installed somewhere. That's just weird. Do a Windows Search function for "fah" and see where all it pops up.
    edited November 2005
    well when i put the CPU limit to use the lowest possible ammount, it drops to 50% like it SHOULD be.. hmm

gnome - my task manager looks exactly the same
    edited November 2005
    what is wierd it didnt do this yesterday or the day before or the day before
    edited November 2005
    I turned it down all the way and its using 50% of BOTH cpu's still, so It doesnt use one at a time its still using Both
    edited November 2005
    We need a dual core expert here. I just have no explanation except that Task Manager is misreporting.
    edited November 2005
    what is wierd it didnt do this yesterday or the day before or the day before

mine either.. :scratch:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2005
    Have any of you guys set the afinity of the the client exe to the same core as the fahcore exe? Just so that the 2 exes are using the same core. I guess if nothing else is using either core it will take over. It does seem to be only related to the GUI. I have never seen anything like this before.
    edited November 2005
    I backed off the CPU usage to 95 % and it runs at 50 now
  • edited November 2005
    Something's really weird there that's happening and I've never seen this before either. But both of you are seeing this with the crappy GUI version, not the console version which is much more reliable. The WinFAH.exe shouldn't be using any resources, but it's totally monopolizing 1 core.

Try dumping the GUI version and running the console version instead and see what's happening with it. Just download the console version from Stanford and put it in the same folder as the GUI version. Then kill the Gui version and restart the wu by double clicking the console version. It should restart your wu where the GUI version left off at. After restarting, open the task manager back and post a pic of what it's showing for usage.
    edited November 2005
    OK I got it working nota problem at all. BUT how Do i minimize it WITHOUT having it in my start bar?
    edited November 2005
    yea, the console version seems to do just fine as posted with my pic but like gnome said is there a way to minimize it into the taskbar by the clock withg out using another program?
    F@H.JPG 70.7K
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I just run it as a service so the screen isn't there in the first place (you can check the log file for progress, which is the same thing that's displayed in the window, or use Electron Microscope to track progress).

Or, you can get one of the versions of the "Hide It" program out there, which hides the window until you click on the icon for Hide It in the system tray and un-hide Folding.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    This version of HideIt uses a keyboard combination to interact with the program.

This one uses the system tray.

I've used both before, and they both work well. :thumbsup:
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited November 2005
    TrayIt! works well, but I vote you just run it as a service.
    edited November 2005
    will i be able to stop it when i need then start it back, cause like BF2, HOMM3, HL and other games either wont run, or they keep trying to minimize themsilves untill i kill the F@H process
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    which client do you have installed?
    Sorry I'm so late to this thread I thought it concerned running 2 clients.
    There is a thread at the community on this subject ...last I read they recommend running the beta 504 console.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Armo wrote:
    will i be able to stop it when i need then start it back, cause like BF2, HOMM3, HL and other games either wont run, or they keep trying to minimize themsilves untill i kill the F@H process
    stop it as a service? sure easy
    just make a shortcut to services.msc and run it whenever you need it ...choose the client then choose stop or start.