it's alive...a64 mod!

rykoryko new york
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Well, i finally got around to posting some pics of my worklog from my most recent mod. complete specs are in my sig, but i started with a kingwin kt-424 black aluminum case. main purpose of this mod was to allow 2 x 120mm (1 intake, 1 outake) to fit into the case instead of 3 x 80mm.

here's a link to my case...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811170012

thought it would be no problem, but i ended up dremeling a lot more than i expected. plus it took me a while since the only time i got to work on it was after work in the late evening. took a total of 10 days or so to finish, but i wasn't in a hurry and only worked 1-2 hours a day.

here's the 1st round of pics...1st is my rig on it's test bench waiting for a case. 2nd is the case right before i started dremeling...notice the stock fan locations in the front and rear. 3rd is the mobo tray removed and a spot cut out for some modder's mesh where the 120mm fan will attach...
1.JPG 106K
2.JPG 107.3K
3.JPG 87.1K

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I had the silver version of that case! I believe Hawk has it now, Good case tho,, What CPU fan are you using?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    more pics...

4th = front fan grills removed and a large rectangular-ish space for some more modder's mesh.

5th = side view of the front hdd cage after some dremeling. the cage was attached to the backside of the front of the case. i thought i would be able to gently squeez a 120mm in here, but ran into some problems later...

6th = front view with some rubber padding around the opening to reduce vibrations between the fan, the modder's mesh, and the case.
    4.JPG 98.3K
    5.JPG 65.8K
    6.JPG 108K
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    I had the silver version of that case! I believe Hawk has it now, Good case tho,, What CPU fan are you using?

the hsf that i am using is some $10 clearance special from svc.com. some no name all copper thing that is suppose to take 90mm fans. i forced a 120mm on to it by bending the fan clips slightly. temps seems ok...38* C idle and about 46* C load. not bad for $12 bucks shipped! :thumbsup:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    pics cont...

7th = front view with mesh laid on top of rubber padding...

8th = top/bottom aluminum bars laid on top of mesh.

9th = aluminum bars after i drilled and attached everything with machine screws...
    7.JPG 108.2K
    8.JPG 86.4K
    9.JPG 106.5K
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    10th = rear of case (mobo tray) with mesh laid accross the opening...i used 2 more aluminum bars with rubber dampening strips to attach the mesh to the case.

11th = front of case after all 4 aluminum bars are attached with machine screws

12th = rig finally inside of finished case. skipped a few steps where if forgot to take pics, but if you look closely, you will see what i did. i ended up removing almost all of the front hdd cage so i could fit in the front 120mm. the opening i dremeled in pic #5 wasn't big enough, so i just gutted the nice hdd cage. :eek: no problem though since i am using a 5.25" to 3.5" removable hdd rack.
    10.JPG 122.6K
    12.JPG 69.8K
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    13 = front of case with no flash---mesh shows up nicely throught the front grill.

14 = front of case no flash. notice my mobile hdd rack also from kingwin.

15 = side of case with no flash. you can clearly see where i chopped the hdd cage and left a spot for only 1 hdd. i was going to remove it all, but there is a little tray with circular holes in it that i didn't really want to move, so i left it. plus it makes the bottom of the hdd cage look a little more finished...
    13.JPG 50.8K
    14.JPG 90.3K
    15.JPG 117.5K
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    16 = side of case without flash

17 = rear of case without flash.

18 = rear of case with flash. note that the mobo tray is still removable, i just need to remove the 2 extra hex nuts for the rear fan near the edge of the case and it slides right out. i will eventually try to replace these bolts/nuts with thumbscrews so the mobo tray will be able to be removed without tools...
    16.JPG 82.8K
    17.JPG 74.8K
    18.JPG 117.5K
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    19 = side shot on desk and no flash.

20 = close up of interior without flash.

21 = close up of interior with flash...notice the rear aluminum bars for the rear mesh/fan assembly.
    19.JPG 164.8K
    20.JPG 98.5K
    21.JPG 82.7K
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    22 = closer side shot without flash.

23 = closer side shot with flash.

24 = final pic without flash. :)
    22.JPG 56.5K
    23.JPG 94.3K
    24.JPG 63.1K
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Looks great! Very clean job :thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    You brave soul ...I've only dreamt of doing that to my lian li. :bawling:

great job! :thumbsup:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    !!!AWESOME!!! Great job. You should finish off the HOW TO and submit it to Prime and Shorty for some $$$!!! :thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    Nice work Ryko! looks sweet!
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    thank you for the kind words everyone....:D

qch2002--what's this about submitting a howto for cash? i remeber seeing something about this a while back, but don't know the details...
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    great job! Way to stick with it and work carefully :)

Haha I love the ghetto CPU cooler- Hey anything that saves money.. :thumbsup:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Nice mod ryko, yep, That's the one I have from gnome. Sleek job man. :thumbsup:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2005
    Submit a review/article/or anything for the SM front page and if its posted you will recieve some money for content.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    rkyo... ygpm
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    nice work
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Nice, tidy work. Finished product looks very good. Attractive.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    Excellent job, ryko. Hope to see that baby in person at SM LAN 2006. :D