Pretty much p*****d off with Dimes

CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
edited November 2005 in Folding@Home
Well, I've tried.

Got a few points for the team

But, blimey. it seems to be so unstable :(

I've had to reboot the thing every day, I've deleted and re-loaded both Dimes and Java twice now, and still it will only communicate when it feels good and ready. :mad:

Give me a good reason to carry on with this POS.

What's it about anyway? Nice graphics and everything but nowhere near Folding for using spare CPU cycles.

I need convincing :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Cheers

crypto :D

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    It's strange that you're having problems with it. I run it on about 12 machines and have no problems now .. It used to be unstable before they patched it, but that was a few months back.

It really doesn't use any CPU cycles at all. 1% every few seconds (A 'blip' now and then). It DOES do a great deal of network activity, however.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    hmmmmm.... I installed it on several systems (like 4 or 5) and haven't had any problems but then again, I have't looked to see if they're doing anything either... :scratch:

sorry, no help here... anyone else?
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited November 2005
    Sorry for the over-reaction :mad:

It's currently sitting there, refusing to do anything, just the b*****y cactus in the middle of the graphics and the messages saying with monotonous regularity that the process is "backed off" because it can't communicate.

I know that if I delete and reload the programme it will run perfectly and upload for a while and then it gets stuffed up again.
    Nothing's changed here since I started a couple of weeks ago, I got on the board and was starting to add some points, now nothing for a couple of days.
    I've posted on the Dimes community but no reply yet.

I ask again, is it really worth the hassle?

Cheers

Crypto :(
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited November 2005
    Well, I have to agree with you, Crypto. I've had pretty much the same problems your having.
    I'd like to help with this project and the S_M team, but I also need some convincing to keep this thing going.

Dragstk
    edited November 2005
    Maybe you guys are on a certain segment of the internet that has blocked DIMES traffic for some reason. It sounds like it's not a problem on your computer - perhaps your ISP has blocked it or flagged it as suspicious. :(
  • edited November 2005
    Could it possibly be something to do with your firewalls? What firewalls are you guys running?

If you're both running the same thing I get a cookie. ;D
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited November 2005
    I'm running Zone Alarm (free version). I really thought that was my problem. I went to the DIMES forum site, read everything I could find on configuration of the firewall. But so far, still no go. And your firewall, Crypto?

Prime, I have Time Warner cable. For the little while that I did get Dimes to run, I saw a lot of TW.

Dragstk
    edited November 2005
    Go to "Agent", click "properties" and go to the "network" tab

Towards the bottom you will see "blocked status".. Click the "check status" button, and wait a few minutes. it will check to see if either UDP or ICMP is blocked. Whichever one is 'green', is the one you should select to the left. If both are green, UDP is preferable. If both are red, you are being blocked somewhere - either at the router, firewall, or by your ISP.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2005
    Ive had problems getting it to even open on computers as well. Its not the best piece of software.
    edited November 2005
    Dragstk wrote:
    I'm running Zone Alarm (free version). I really thought that was my problem. I went to the DIMES forum site, read everything I could find on configuration of the firewall. But so far, still no go. And your firewall, Crypto?

Dragstk

I'm not running any firwall other than my router, XP is disabled.

MY ISP is NTL which is a UK cable company.

Since my last reload, it's all running OK again. If it follows the pattern, it will stop communicating in a couple of days. :(

Prime: I had a look at your suggestion and sure enough ICMP is red. I've changed the references of ICMP to UDP on the graph page.
    Thing is, I really don't understand what I'm doing, or what Dimes is doing at all. Anyone know of any instruction to explain all the options in the software?

Cheers

Crypto :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    If you're both running the same thing I get a cookie.
    I clear all my cookies at the end of each Internet session. It's good security. :D
  • edited November 2005
    I hate having to login the various sites I frequent so I save mine and since I just visit acceptable sites I just have nice squeaky clean cookies. :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    Well....

I've had some connectivity problems elsewhere, and after long telephone calls with my service provider (in India!), they have taught me how to investigate slow internet browsing and poor connectivity. It turns out to be a Bit Torrent client that I'm running ( Bit Spirit) that's hogging all of my internet resources. Stopped it running and :D:D I have superfast internet browsing speed and my Dimes agent is connecting with no problem at all. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's like having a new upgraded computer...fantastic

I'm chuffed to bits.

Crypto :D