Carelessness emerges

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Hi.. I recently got a k8t master 2 motherboard with 2 opteron 140 processors. When moving a wire off of a spinning processor fan, i touched the spinning fan and broke up off a couple of blades of the fan... :( My question is: where can I get a replacement for this fan.. because I really don't wanna just crazy-glue it. If anyone could help or provide a link id greatly appreciate it!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    When you say "fan", I assume you mean the fan that is atop the CPU's heatsink? If yes, is this stock heatsink unit that came bundled with the Opteron, or is it aftermarket? Please provide answers to these questions and also measure the fand's width. Please provide your measurement in metric units. Believe me, we should have no problem at all finding a replacement fan for you. It may not be the exact design, but it will work just fine. Most computer fans are in standard sizes: 40mm, 50mm, 60mm, 92mm, and 120mm.

If you've browsed the forums here much, you will notice that many of us have completely custom computer setups. I don't believe any of my computers have the same fans that the cases and CPUs came with when new. Point being that fans are no problem replacing.
  • edited November 2005
    yeah, the processor fan. the measurements are: width/height=70mm, diagonal=96mm, measuring from edge to edge. i was gonna stop by my local computer stores to see if they got it(or something that will fit), but I'm assuming I will have to order it online. As far as I know, it's a stock opteron fan. Thanks for your help.
    edited November 2005
    70mm is one of the standards that is not seen as often as the others. Ouch. Do some internet searches though, and you shouldn't have too big of a problem finding a 70mm fan. It may not be the same fan when you find one, but it will work. Make a note of the mounting hardware needed for the original fan. It may end up being that your replacement fan is thicker, requiring long fastening screws, or whatever mounting hardware is needed. You should have no problem getting the correct hardware for next to nothing from a hardware store.
    edited November 2005
    This fan at Directron might be just what you need. Directron, BTW, is a very good e-vendor. I found that within five seconds at Google. I saw the other thread you have. The posters were right - do NOT run the computer with your broken fan, or with the fan removed.