Windows xp sp2 won't install

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I have a ga-k8n51gmf-9 mother board with a amd x2 4200 1 wd 76 gig sata raptor and the system will not install windows i have gotten just about every blue screen of death i could find along with the endless reboot before copying files problem the farthest i got was raptor formated started to copy files and bang blue screen. i have tried lots of driver versions in the f6 raid and letting it run without any drives still no joy. I don't know what to do at this point. I tried the slipstream windows and must have not removed the drivers or added all the ones i need but that got me the farthest. I heard mention of the fact the drivers aren't windows aproved forget the acronym and that xp overwrites the files with its default drivers. so i think the best bet is to get a set of working drivers in a slipstream and remove unnecessasary ones. Im just lost and need a hand anyone with this particular board running only one sata drive (i think thats the rub) its not really raid any help is greatly appreciated its like my fourth build and i had some issues with a previous gigabyte board same deal finding raid drivers. Please help and i will post what works so someone with same problem can have definitive answer. THanks in advance

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    It's not drivers if your having so many fast BSOD's.

Can you list a detailed list of ALL hardware?

And start as always by running a memory tester for an hour or more like memtest or docmemory and post your cpu temps.

I want a list of all cards, psu and its specs, HSF, fans in your case and how they are plugged in EVERYTHING in one shot to shorten this excersise for you.

Tex
  • edited November 2005
    Aspire ASPIRE X-QPACK-BL/420
    Power Supply 420W that came with the box this is what the power supply says
    +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
    26A 28A 30A .3A .8A 2.0A
    the raptor is plugged into a single sata power connector
    the cd drive and borrowed floppy are on the same power line
    the case fan and front temp gage/light on case are plugged into a seperate line
    and the atx square plug is plugged into the mobo and the 20 pin main power of course
    the board has the option for a 24 pin power connector im just using a 20 and the square 12v atx plug its in the manual as ok
    Saphire x800 pro pci express video card (working but removed for check have heard stories about this power supply)
    now using onboard video
    amd 64 4200+ athalon xt 939 stock hsf
    wd 74 gig 10,000 raptor sata power type connector and tried 2 different sata cables
    nec 16x dvd rw drive
    borrowed from another cpu floppy drive (nec out of old compaq)
    One 120mm case fan comes with case
    2x 512 mushkin blackline ram sticks identical running in dual chanel ddr (and taken from a previously stable system) same configuration

I had the same result as b4 when i tried to install windows on a ide drive a wd 200 20 gig ide hard drive

i will get a copy of the mem test and post those results when i get a chance later today somtime. if you need any more details just let me
    It looks to be a bad memory stick
    Thanks for the help and the heads up on the memtest.
    both sticks 9000 errors or so one stick same other stick none its a no brainer and i should be able to get her running single chanel until i get new ram stick.
    edited November 2005
    awesome.

Anytime you start getting weird errors of any kind test the memory
  • edited November 2005
    Ok now have the new mobo up and running the old ram is out i need to find somthing compatible to put in it thats fast around a hundred bucks a stick is ok. I just want to find somthing that will be compatible. Any suggetstions on somewhere to check b4 i spend a couple hundred bucks for ddr memory about a gig total.

(I send you this message from the new box) :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    (I send you this message from the new box)
    Well that's very good news. Feels good, doesn't it!

Concerning your memory. You can get superb DRAM for much less than $100/stick. To help us best determine the memory that's right for your system, tell us about your intent for your computer:

light gaming
    heavy gaming
    overclocking
    extensive overclocking
    office applications
    video work
    music decoding

a little bit of everything?

There's no sense in purchasing premium, very expensive RAM is good, less expensive RAM would work for you.
  • edited November 2005
    I would say i most likely do light to moderate gameing mostly game maybe some tame overclocking the x2 4200 is spendy definately office apps but only on ocasion and thats not a factor for ram really. Mp3 and Video riping probably (still gota get a mp3 cd deck for my car)

That said i think this motherboard is toast. This is the second one i RMAd the first one DOA now after 4-5 hours of up time this one is doing what the other one did. I think it started being flakey even just after i got it. When it was all put together it would flash all the fans and lights just for a split sec when i plugged in or turned on the power supply. After that it would behave normal. Now i doesn't do that anymore but it won't boot no error codes. I get power and fan spin up but the power switch and reset button don't work. Processor fan and case fan video card fan hard drive spins up no system beep or anything like that what do you think i need another rma sigh this is the third gigabyte board i rmad lifetime and i only built like 4 computers. :( tell me what u think and comment on the ram ill order up when the rma ships to recieve at same time probably (another newegg special) no there really good but this boards been giving me a headache. Not its fault just a ram issue. Sorry to be long winded your replies have been on the money and very helpful.
    Thanks in advance.
    edited November 2005
    I would bet its the PSU not the MB.

Tex
  • edited November 2005
    You think its the psu even if its been up non stop 4 about 5 days no problems. I think i have another psu that i can pull and give that a shot. At least i can get it running now. Sill want to know about what ram u suggest for not much oc dual channel pair medium gaming hl2 cs source wcIII ft fps and stuff.