Harddrive crashed...

edited November 2005 in Hardware
I have two hardrives in my computer right now, not sure of the specs of either one. All I know is that one crashed and has physical damage to it and the other one is working fine. I know it has physical damage to it because it was a really hot day, was spinning over time in my 90+ degree room after being turned on for god-knows-how-long and being used as high as possible (IE 20 windows open at all tmes). So I was going to the beach and decided to give it a break for the day, turned it off as normal, come back..||||| (insert many grey lines here)...ERROR!? what do you MEAN error!? So I got another hardrive, installed and whatnot and it's running fine. So if anyone knows any physical hardrive fixings other than 'send it to me/professional', please help. Thanks for you time.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    Does it spin up and is it recognized by the bios at all?

If so send it to me. You pay only shipping each way and any cost for DVD's to send you back what I recover.

If it won't spin up or the bios can not see it your only option is big bucks to have it disassembled by a professional recovery service and they can recover straight from the platters but we are talking BIG BUCKS.

Tex
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Mr. Moose, in case you are wondering, Tex is a trusted, long-time member here. He's true to his word. He worked on one of my hard drives once.
  • edited November 2005
    Does it spin up and is it recognized by the bios at all?

I'll answer this to the best of my knowledge. When I restart, if I click on 'my computer' I can see a 'c:' and an 'E:' but if I try to click into 'E:', it basically disapears. Won't let me into it (IE, windows doesn't recognize it beyond being there for a short period of time) and all the data on it is corrupted (or so I believe)...

How exactly do YOU fix it if I would send it to you? (Not a matter of trust, I'm just curious)
    edited November 2005
    magic wand of course.

Ok I'm kidding. I do this for a living and a good friend is a certified forensic data recovery expert for the stuff I can't get. he hooks it up to a weird black box thing he owns, and not a computer, and can get stuff I can't get using software. this is not a game for amatuers!

If your serious do not even power that drive up! You cut my throat every time you spin it up. I have got data off a couple that people said could not be seen and neither drive was ever recognized again. Every time you hit the power button and try and spin that drive up you lower my chances.

Tex

BTW... I charge companies $250 an hour to do what I offered you for free.
  • edited November 2005
    Tex wrote:
    magic wand of course.

Ok I'm kidding. I do this for a living and a good friend is a certified forensic data recovery expert for the stuff I can't get. he hooks it up to a weird black box thing he owns, and not a computer, and can get stuff I can't get using software. this is not a game for amatuers!

If your serious do not even power that drive up! You cut my throat every time you spin it up. I have got data off a couple that people said could not be seen and neither drive was ever recognized again. Every time you hit the power button and try and spin that drive up you lower my chances.

Tex

BTW... I charge companies $250 an hour to do what I offered you for free.

*goes to remove from computer*

so do you like, look at the files or what (has pictures of family and whatnot I'd rather not have looked thru..nothing illegal, just personal things) (has major privacy parinoia)
    edited November 2005
    I usually look at some just to make sure stuff actually is getting recovered right. If you really want I won't look at anything and just send what I recover.

How much data are we talking here anyway?

Tex
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    so do you like, look at the files or what (has pictures of family and whatnot I'd rather not have looked thru..nothing illegal, just personal things) (has major privacy parinoia)
    I'd trust Tex :)
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited November 2005
    most of use here do :thumbsup:

TEX is the HD god here ;D
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2005
    So I got another hardrive, installed and whatnot and it's running fine. So if anyone knows any physical hardrive fixings other than 'send it to me/professional', please help. Thanks for you time.
    So then, you do need your data retrieved or not? If you have the time and/or patience, you can freeze the hard drive (assuming that it was only a R/W head crash) and pop that drive back on the chain temporarily to retrieve the data in question (again if that is the case). My suggestion is taken with a realization that it may not be successful, depending on the amount of damage and type. As suggested by others, professional service may be required for data retrieval.

This is only an option, if you are impatient and don't feel like sending it to Tex.

If you just need the drive repaired and want to continue using it normally, realize that it is not an option.
  • edited November 2005
    you could do it without searching thru?! should I be bowing down to you right now?! *kisses feet*

ahm, yea, I've trusted him, I was looking thru other topics before starting this one and I noticed that he helped others and they were thankful (they'd better be)

I believe that I have about 100 gig's, possibly less if the majority is corrupted...money's not a problem, I have good parents and enough sitting around so if they complain, it's good.

I'll talk to my dad about this when he gets home, make sure it's okay with him (after all, he DID pay for my computer..)
    edited November 2005
    you could do it without searching thru?! should I be bowing down to you right now?! *kisses feet*

ahm, yea, I've trusted him, I was looking thru other topics before starting this one and I noticed that he helped others and they were thankful (they'd better be)

I believe that I have about 100 gig's, possibly less if the majority is corrupted...money's not a problem, I have good parents and enough sitting around so if they complain, it's good.

I'll talk to my dad about this when he gets home, make sure it's okay with him (after all, he DID pay for my computer..)

Do you want a 100gb saved to friggin dvd's? Crap you could buy a cheap 120gb hard drive and just have me copy it to that if you want?

is that how much is on there or how much you really want recovered?
    crap.... thats like 20 dvd's to burn! send me a cheap HD to copy this crap to ace!

I don't mind doing it but man I don't want to spend 6 hours copying the data.

Send me a PM and I'll send you a phone number if your dad wants to call me.

Tex
  • edited November 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Do you want a 100gb saved to friggin dvd's? Crap you could buy a cheap 120gb hard drive and just have me copy it to that if you want?

is that how much is on there or how much you really want recovered?
    s h i t .... thats like 20 dvd's to burn! send me a cheap HD to copy this crap to ace!

I don't mind doing it but man I don't want to spend 6 hours copying the data.

Send me a PM and I'll send you a phone number if your dad wants to call me.

Tex

hah, when you take the stuff off of the dead one, will the hard drive be unuseable or will it actually work? I need an external anyway, I think I'll buy an external and just ship that to you.

yea, that would be a beast to do...who really wants to spend that much time doing..anything?

will do as soon as I can talk to my dad (he's probably sleeping rihgt now)
    edited November 2005
    I have no idea what shape the drive you send me is really until I see it. If its ok I can recover the data and just slap it back on. I have a couple terabytes of storage right now to copy it to on a gigabit network.

Tex