remove temp control from a fan

rykoryko new york
edited November 2005 in Hardware
I have a 92mm antec smart fan that is thermally controlled by a flimsy little temp sensor. i want to remove the temp sensor so that the fan runs at full rpm all the time.

can i just completely remove the two temp sensor wires from the back of the fan motor? or should i solder the 2 wires together so it completes the circuit?

just curious if anybody has any experience with this sort of thing....

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I once had a couple fans with temp sensors. In that case, the sensors were round, flat, and about the size of a pea. I merely snipped the two wires leading out of the sensors and the fans then operated at full speed.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I use jumpers.
    edited November 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I use jumpers.
    Jumper:
    1) Brittish English word for "sweater"
    2) a tiny plastic and metal bridge used to connetc electrical pins

When you say "I use jumpers"...please elaborate.
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Jumper:
    1) Brittish English word for "sweater"
    2) a tiny plastic and metal bridge used to connetc electrical pins

When you say "I use jumpers"...please elaborate.

Um ...you know ...jumpers! ;D
    edited November 2005
    OK, LOL, I've never seen that type of thermal control circuitry on fans. Alright, a real, honest to goodness jumper!

For thermal control, I like the Antec Tricool fans - three position switch on a toggle. Works great for intake and exhaust fans. I also use Speedfan to control speeds through software.
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    I've never seen that type of thermal control circuitry on fans. Alright, a real, honest to goodness jumper!

Ah no wonder ...it's standard on the smartfans! :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    Don't need no stinkin' smartfans! :shakehead

:D
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    UPDATE://

well i chopped off the temp sensor and now the fan runs at maybe 600rpm...

gonna connect the two temp sonsor wires to see if it will help. will report back.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Leo, what do you reset your bios with? A sweater?

/me couldn't resist :ninja:
    edited November 2005
    Leo, what do you reset yur bios with? A sweater?
    But of course! A quality British sweater - a jumper! A singularly lovely one, made from the finest Scottish highland wool!

Yes, I deserve the ribbing I'm getting. :wtf: Sorry, I had just never seen a fan with a jumper on it. Seems so unnecessary. I like the Antec Tricool fans with the cord and three-position switch. The Speedfan regulating software is awfully nice too, as long as the motherboard supports it and the fan(s) are connected the three-prong motherboard connectors.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    A bit off topic, but the Nvidia NF4 boards have a really good fancontrol that WORKS in the bios.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited November 2005
    UPDATE://

ok, i soldered the 2 temp wires together and now the fan runs faster, but not quite sure if it's at full rpm. i am going to have to track down some info for this particular fan and then hook it up to a mobo to get a rpm reading.

also thinking about attaching a rheostat to these temp wires to see if it will work for some manual control...