Opteron X2 939 ???'s

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
I can't beleive I am not on top of this but would like to know if the socket 939 Opteron's (especially the dual cores) need ECC memory like their 940 counterparts? Is the 165 Denmark enough to get good OC's out of or would the 170 Denmark be a better choice. I am willing to go up to $400 on one (Monarch's prices are much better on these then the egg) and see some super potential with something like this. Is there anything else to consider. I will no doubt be putting one on one of my DFI boards fairly soon if it is as good as it looks.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    (Monarch's prices are much better on these then the egg)
    I forget the terminology, but Monarch is an AMD authorized direct sales merchant. They buy directly from AMD, if I'm correct, and not from a distributor. It seems like I read somewhere that the Opteron 165 (Denmark) was seen overclocks up to 2.8GHz, but seldom anything higher. I could be wrong - might be confusing it with another chip.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    all socket 939's can use regular unbuffered non-ecc ram.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    running a 939 X2 3800 with regular DDR 3500
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2005
    Yeah but those are Athlon64 CPUs and NOT Opterons which require registered memory at least in the 940-pin socket. I am not sure, like mtgoat, if the socket 939 Opterons will require registered memory or if we can use our current memory sticks.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    ALL SOCKET 939's can use unbuffered ram

even the opteron 939's :)

im pretty sure mack mentioned it to somebody in another thread :thumbsup:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2005
    Thats the answer we are looking for. Thanks!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2005
    fatcat6 wrote:
    ALL SOCKET 939's can use unbuffered ram

even the opteron 939's :)

im pretty sure mack mentioned it to somebody in another thread :thumbsup:

I was actually researching the same question on some Aussie computer forums and came up with the same answer. That was the only part i understood. :)

The rest became way too tech for my little knowledge. :scratch:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Great! Thanks guys. That is what I was hoping for. It looks like there are 2 steppings of the 165 that will go above 2.5 but still limits out at 2.8 or so. The 170 and 175 seem to go 2.8 to 3.0 and even higher on non-typhoon air. :D Now to figure out if I should spring for a 170 now in the hopes of a good stepping or wait a few more weeks for a 175 and hope they will still OC as well as the current run.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Great! Thanks guys. That is what I was hoping for. It looks like there are 2 steppings of the 165 that will go above 2.5 but still limits out at 2.8 or so. The 170 and 175 seem to go 2.8 to 3.0 and even higher on non-typhoon air. :D Now to figure out if I should spring for a 170 now in the hopes of a good stepping or wait a few more weeks for a 175 and hope they will still OC as well as the current run.
    decisions decisions ...I know how you feel! :thumbsup: