"Pio, or no pio?" That is the question.

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited November 2005 in Hardware
What is Pio, and should i have it activated? for me, ive always left HDD settings at default, but i want maximum performance. Should i turn it on?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    PIO is worse than DMA

Go for the highest setting your drive will support. Unless a drive is really old, any device stuck in PIO Mode has something wrong somewhere.

UDMA-5 is nice and virtually every HD made in the last five years supports it; UDMA-4 is usually tops for cdrom/dvd drives. :)
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2005
    Yeah, unfortunately...PIO is old school. DMA, or better yet...SATA if possible! In your case, DMA for maximum performance.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Erm, SATA is nothing to do with PIO or DMA. SATA is the interface like PATA or USB. PIO, Multiword DMA and UDMA are transfer modes.
    edited November 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Erm, SATA is nothing to do with PIO or DMA. SATA is the interface like PATA or USB. PIO, Multiword DMA and UDMA are transfer modes.
    I don't recall stating that SATA had anything to do with PIO or DMA. My comment was suggesting SATA, as it is becoming mainstream. :shakehead
    edited November 2005
    Yeah, unfortunately...PIO is old school. DMA, or better yet...SATA if possible! In your case, DMA for maximum performance.
    I knew what you meant, and heartily agree. :)

But...
    I don't recall stating that SATA had anything to do with PIO or DMA. My comment was suggesting SATA, as it is becoming mainstream. :shakehead
    The way you phrased it was like answering the question "Which is better on the highway, second gear or fifth gear?" by saying "A Diesel". ;)
    edited November 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    I knew what you meant, and heartily agree. :)

But...

The way you phrased it was like answering the question "Which is better on the highway, second gear or fifth gear?" by saying "A Diesel". ;)
    Point taken. :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    "Which is better on the highway, second gear or fifth gear?"... "A Diesel".
    Prof...you should have been a philosophy professor. You could have a lecture theatre full of young, idealistic students nodding their heads at each saying, "this man is brilliant". "World peace, dude!"
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Prof...you should have been a philosophy professor. You could have a lecture theatre full of young, idealistic students nodding their heads at each saying, "this man is brilliant". "World peace, dude!"
    Would that include comely coeds? :cool:

If so, sign me up, man - I'm all for it. :mullet: