8 core cpu

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
The UltraSparc T1 processor, code-named Niagara, has eight computing engines on a single chip, with each core capable of handling up to four tasks at once, Sun said Monday. It expects to ship systems based on the processor by the end of the year.

"The other companies, like Intel and IBM, are trying to take existing CPU architectures and get to this massive threading. But they can't," Kohout said. "We are probably five years ahead, maybe two or three generations ahead."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1309469

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    Does it Fold? :D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Does it Fold? :D

I suppose with the right os it might! :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    There's no sparc folding client... I wish there was :(
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited November 2005
    and costs around 2,000 bucks (or more)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I truly hope it turns out to be an innovative advance. You need to understand though, Sun is often the source of world class hype. It reminds of another technological marvel that, well, just didn't make it much past the starting block. If I remember correctly, the Itanium was supposed to have turned the server world upside down by now. Yeah, two different hype machines, but a familiar story.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    They make it sound like the processor that powered the Terminator (at least in the original movie). ;D
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited November 2005
    Tim wrote:
    They make it sound like the processor that powered the Terminator (at least in the original movie). ;D
    Maybe it did...dun dun dun!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    phooey on you all ...http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/15/HNamdopt_1.html :Pwned:

If this is true I comfortable about upgrading my system now and again in another year and a half while skipping M2 altogether! :thumbsup: