New build won't boot

drasnordrasnor Starship OperatorHawthorne, CA Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
This isn't my computer so it isn't terribly urgent. The machine is an Asus P4R800-VM (ATI 9100 IGP chipset) with a 2.4GHz Prescott and 256MB of DDR333, 200GB hard drive, GeForce FX 5200, and a couple dying optical drives. The machine doesn't make it past the Windows XP loading screen after the first reboot during the XP installation process (CD Setup completed copying files to hard drive but machine won't boot to Windows Setup). Tried to boot up in safe mode but always crashes at Mup.sys after repeated installation tries. Memtest86 checks the RAM out as ok. Any ideas?

-drasnor :fold:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    First guess is that something is wrong with the device drivers load. Is this a custom machine, an OEM, or a modified OEM?

Second guess would be PSU is not supplying enough power at a certain stage of installation, when hardware is being initiated.

256MB system memory is the minimum for WinXP, but it should be able to load windows with that.

Before you started the Windows installation, did you format the hard drive?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited November 2005
    I've just had some of this in my latest nightmare. It turned out to be yet another dead Abit board. Why are you reinstalling windows, hardware changes?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Sorry, I thought it was clear in the first post:
    This is a new build, it's not an OEM machine. Certain parts (processor, RAM, graphics) were reused from a Gateway OEM box, but it's a custom machine. I know that's the minimum RAM, but we're all starving college students here ;).

We can check PSU, but that seems like a stretch to me. It's a new case, the board is mATX, he runs a GeForce FX5200 with a passive heatsink, and only has a hard drive and CD drive hooked up.

He's full formatted the drive before each try installing Windows; I quick formatted it last night before my try. He's tried it both with XP Home and XP Professional but after each attempted install it always crashes at Mup.sys. We're using a CD that has SP2 slipstreamed in so it ought to have the right drivers.

Since I got the Gentoo 2005.1 LiveCD to boot just fine I recommended he try using Knoppix until we get Windows sorted out. He's going to burn the CD today and try it.

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    drasnor wrote:
    ...We're using a CD that has SP2 slipstreamed...
    Could there be a problem with the CD itself? I've had a few misadventures of my own with slipstreamed discs that had a shaky file or two on them. You might try burning it again.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    It's an official XP SP2 CD (Microsoft did the job).

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited November 2005
    Known issue with prescott processors.

Try installing XP with out the SP2 slip streamed. If you dont have a disk then try disabling lv1 and lv2 proc cache in the bios.

post back