Another folding video

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Folding@Home
I was looking around an AMD motherboard website (amdmb.com), and came across another video made for their folding section. Here's a link to it.

http://www.hel-razor.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    They wrote affecting instead of effecting...
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    In this context, "affecting" is the right way to spell it.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    I think thats a great video, but I would change two things:

1) the Typewriter effect they have on the text gets very annoying to me

2) at the ending credits, its inapropriate to put the actual medical condition the patients have/had. I think it should just scroll the names only.

Great though :thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    Tim wrote:
    In this context, "affecting" is the right way to spell it.

Not to be nitpicky, but an English Professor can't help it sometimes...

'Affecting' would refer to some type of pretend state, while 'effecting' refers to something that is being acted upon by an outside force. (which is the meaning they wanted in the video).

Example:

I was affecting a nice British accent, but my tomfoolery was effecting the atmosphere.
    edited November 2005
    I disagree. I think the video is correct - "affecting"

Dictionary.com's 1st definition for "affecting":
    To have an influence on or effect a change in: Inflation affects the buying power of the dollar.

untitled7rl.th.jpg
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited November 2005
    I always remember something affects something else, and something has an effect on something else. Isn't that right?
    edited November 2005
    entropy wrote:
    I always remember something affects something else, and something has an effect on something else. Isn't that right?
    That's what I was taught :)
    edited November 2005
    Sorry, but you were taught wrong. Trust me on this. It's what I do for a living.

Dictionary.com is terrible, BTW. The only real resource for the American English Lexicon is Merriam-Webster. They are recognised by Linguists as the athority on American English, the same way The Oxford is recognised for British English. I don't know where Didctionary.com gets their definitions, but this isn't the first time they've been wrong. If you've got a bookmark for it, you would do well to change that bookmark to point to M-W.com instead.
    edited November 2005
    you're saying... Dictionary.com is wrong? :scratch:

We may be wrong about the usage of the word, but I think saying Dictionary.com is wrong is a bit much...
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited November 2005
    It's a good presentation and I respect anyone that can make anything with that program! :respect: Flash will remain a mystery for me forever. I do prefer the one put together by Mr. General - but really boys and girls - if it wasn't typed out you wouldn't know the difference. :rolleyes:

Let's nit pick pronunciation - things like calling forte forTAY instead of fort. I prefer the Webster New Collegiate Dictionary and I still treat the one I bought for radio school like a bible. Jack

Effect = consequence Affect = influence
    edited November 2005
    witenoiz wrote:
    Effect = consequence Affect = influence
    Again - I agree. Let's start a poll :p
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I'm with the majority here. In this case, "affecting" is correct. The mystery is exerting its inflence on the world. I think, perhaps, "Working on a part of a mystery- effecting your world," would be correct.

Put another way:
    The mystery is affecting the world. Our work in folding has effect on the world by solving the mystery.
  • BuiesCreek847BuiesCreek847 In a van, down by the river, NC Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Y'all've some right sporty videos to. happy-thumbsup3.gif
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Effect is a consequence.
    Affect is an influence.

By affecting a British accent, I effected a ruse.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    Sorry, but you were taught wrong. Trust me on this. It's what I do for a living.

Dictionary.com is terrible, BTW. The only real resource for the American English Lexicon is Merriam-Webster. They are recognised by Linguists as the athority on American English, the same way The Oxford is recognised for British English. I don't know where Didctionary.com gets their definitions, but this isn't the first time they've been wrong. If you've got a bookmark for it, you would do well to change that bookmark to point to M-W.com instead.

might want to pick a new profession, because Merriam-Webster says otherwise.
    Main Entry: 3affect
    Function: transitive verb
    Etymology: Middle English, from affectus, past participle of afficere
    : to produce an effect upon: as a : <b>to produce a material influence upon or alteration in <paralysis affected his limbs> </b>b : to act upon (as a person or a person's mind or feelings) so as to effect a response : <b>INFLUENCE</b>

taken directly from http://www.webster.com/dictionary/affect the official website of M-W

An irony that it uses the word 'effect' within the description of the word 'affect'
    edited November 2005
    7 to 1
    edited November 2005
    I'm telling you: They used it wrong, even according to the definition that you found, due to conotation.

Either you believe me or you don't. I'm not going to waste any more time on this discussion.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited November 2005
    i like apples. :mullet:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    This conversation is effectively dead! ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    For anyone who has not yet seen it, don't miss this one. :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    This conversation is effectively dead! ;D

Perhaps CBDroege was affected by my effective argument?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Kwitko wrote:
    Perhaps CBDroege was affected by my effective argument?

I do believe that this effective argument may effectively affect his career!

I'm sorry, CB, but even a mighty English Professor can be wrong. Shocking, yes, but true all the same. Besides, I used to have arguments with you for years in which you stated that something that the dictionary says is wrong is actually right if it falls into common usage. While I disagreed then (and still do disagree now), I do want to point out that you're effectively arguing against yourself now by stating the opposite. I do, however, believe that Camman is correct in his interpretation of Merriam-Webster's definition, so I don't think the dictionary is wrong.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    Do English Professors still like those suit jackets that come with the patches already sewn on at the elbows? I remember when Robin Williams wore those in Dead Poets Society. :buck:
    edited November 2005
    I admit that I can be wrong, but I do have a lot of education in this area, and it doesn't happen very often. If I'm wrong in this case, then it is because my advanced grammar professor from college (and the textbook that he wrote) is wrong.... Which is also possible.
    profdlp wrote:
    Do English Professors still like those suit jackets that come with the patches already sewn on at the elbows? I remember when Robin Williams wore those in Dead Poets Society. :buck:

Yes, we like them very much, but we have stopped wearing them for two reasons: First, the dress code for college instructors has changed at all but the most illustrious of schools; it is no longer required that we wear suit jackets in the classroom (although we still need them for special events). Second, it is difficult enough for us to get students to take us seriously.