What's the price on this baby

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Hardware
I am trying to find a price for this board in US dollars but have been unable to find it advertised at the usual online retail stores.

can anyone help me?

Heres the link to the Gigabyte site in Australia:

http://www.giga-byte.com.au/MotherBoard/News/News_619.htm

Thanx guys

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited November 2005
    Its not yet available to the public. Once it is released there will be a price on it, you can bet probably somewhere in the 200 USD or more.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2005
    That Turbojet Technology CPU-cooling system alone looks awesome. I may have to get some clear tubing and do a little aftermarket mod to my current system. :cool:
    edited November 2005
    Another nice picture:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    When you get that clear tubing at the hardware store, you might as well stop at the safety aisle and get some earplugs as well. ;D

I do like the concept, though. Any type of airflow/air cooling mod or innovation gets my attention right away. I play with that type of thing endlessly.
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    When you get that clear tubing at the hardware store, you might as well stop at the safety aisle and get some earplugs as well. ;D
    I'm already half deaf, so I probably wouldn't even notice. :D
    I do like the concept, though. Any type of airflow/air cooling mod or innovation gets my attention right away. I play with that type of thing endlessly.
    I'm a gadget freak myself. If you saw my box of "off-the-beaten-path" cooling solutions you'd know right away that I'm a sucker for something new and different. :p
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Another nice picture:

Just need a model of Han Solo. :D
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited November 2005
    Very interesting setup. I am curious as to the price as well.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    When you get that clear tubing at the hardware store, you might as well stop at the safety aisle and get some earplugs as well. ;D.
    /me nods

That's the only thing I can think when I see that board. I get annoyed enough with my computer, and it's relatively quiet. My next one, though... that'll be damn near silent :)
  • edited November 2005
    My next machine will be water cooled. The only fans in the system will be cooling the radiators.
    edited November 2005
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Just need a model of Han Solo. :D
    ;D;D
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Thanks for the feedback on the MB. I suppose we will know what it retails for soon enough. :)

Leo I have always been fascinated by your quest for Zero decibels.
    I have 7 fans in my gaming rig, so it sounds like an aeroplane about to take off.
    I found after spending a while at the PC you don't even notice it anymore.

Anyway it's plugged into my 7.1 home theatre system, so when the volume is cranked up you don't hear any fans
    :D
    edited November 2005
    Leo I have always been fascinated by your quest for Zero decibels.
    That quest has met with mixed results. Considering my No.1 and 3 rigs are overclocked, the noise level isn't bad at all. No. 2 is the old style Antec/Chieftec design, it has 80mm fans - fairly quiet but not in a class with quiet 120mm fans. Recent improvements for my systems: near silent Antec PSUs, silent Zalman PSUs, Zalman 7700 and 7000 heatsinks, swapped Western Digital 800JB for a Hitachi 160GB DeskStar. Legacy with me - no chipset or GPU fans. Hmm, don't know what I'll do when I eventually upgrade, considering newer motherboards and video cards run hotter.

BUT, back on topic. There is a review up somewhere (read it, don't remember where) about that new Milleneum Falcon Gigabyte board. The cooling system works quite well, but yes, at a cost to the ears.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Where do the exhaust tubes lead to?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Good question, Will gigabyte work with a case company? this could be an instresting research project!
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited November 2005
    csimon wrote:
    Where do the exhaust tubes lead to?

Out the back of the case through a special I-O sheild made for that contraption.

Tex
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2005
    Yeah just like with any other motherboard you buy you will get a I/O backplace designed for this motherboard. They got rid of all the legacy ports like PS/2 to accomodate for those fans.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Is it only me that thinks the 2 fans blowing against the ram is stupid?
    You don't suck air from a presshot and blow it on the ram. That's a big no-no.
    I see now that those can be removed, fortunately.

Edit: I now see that the fans are sucking air from the ram instead. Not much better, but better than my above "flaming". The must have flipped the stickers around on those fans.
    edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Is it only me that thinks the 2 fans blowing against the ram is stupid?
    You don't suck air from a presshot and blow it on the ram. That's a big no-no.
    I see now that those can be removed, fortunately.

Edit: I now see that the fans are sucking air from the ram instead. Not much better, but better than my above "flaming". The must have flipped the stickers around on those fans.
    After you mentioned it, it seems to me that all of the fans are blowing backwards, at least when you look at the pitch of the fan blades.

Either the photographer wanted the shiny stickers up front, or they decided that the end user would need something to modify. ;D

...or they just screwed up...
    edited November 2005
    Anandtech's [/QUOTE]mini-review ended with this summary:
    The Gigabyte GA-G1 975X at first glance offers a very functional feature set and provides excellent performance for an Intel based system. The 975X chipset, at least Gigabyte's implementation, has closed the performance gap in most applications with the NVIDIA nForce4 Intel Edition chipset. The initial indications reveal the Intel 975X is a worthy competitor to the NVIDIA nForce4. This is very good news from an Intel enthusiast viewpoint if NVIDIA SLI support at this time is not important.

Our concerns at this time center around the lack of official support for NVIDIA SLI, the noise generation and potential reliability of the four fan solution in the Turbojet system, and the inability to lock the FSB settings from 200 to 205 in manual mode. We look forward to further testing this board's capabilities and will report our full results in the near future along with other 975X chipset based solutions.

In this case, "The art of being wise will be the art of knowing what to look for."

Sorry, I just see this "Turbojet" system as a buzzy gimmick that appeals to those with a need for eye candy. Granted, those two blue, fanned tunnels would look smashing in a windowed, lighted case! But please, spare me the annoying noise of the itty-bitty fans. Granted, my newest motherboards are chipset 875 and NF2 based, I just think there are less dramatic and quieter cooling solutions. Why does this new Gigabyte board make me conjure up images of those rediculous Thermaltake Orb coolers that were so popular five and six years ago?
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I have ressurect this thread as the board is now officially available in the US and is priced at Newegg for $229.99. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128002

I read the few reviews at Newegg that are available on the board with interest. I was keen to see how close to the mark our resident experts were on their take on this board prior to launch :D

Some of you guys hit it dead on! Especially the bling bling and noise factor. Otherwise it seems like quite a solid board.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    Thats crazy.
    edited February 2006
    Premium price for eye candy. Nothing wrong with flash and bling, but in my book, there should be more to go with it. I'll give Gigabyte credit for trying something new, but I'll let others buy that board.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    does the socket itself have heatpipes? looks kinda like it
    edited February 2006
    There are no heatpipes anywhere on that board. Asus has a couple board with heatpipe cooling on the chipset.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    my mistake, the lever to lock the cpu in kinda looked like a mini heat pipe on one of the views.