T-MOD...other bios guru's

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Ok, heres the long and short of it. I havean ECS KN1 sli extreme with one gig
of patriot ram, a skyhawk 520w psu, 2 ea. evga 660 gts, a maxtor 300 gig hd
(sata) a maxtor 160 gig (pata) and a plextor sata dvd-rw. Anyway, my wife &
I both used this computer and to change to her drive (the pata) you have to
go in to the bios and disable one or the other controllers to use the drive that
you want, she went to use hers and did not shut down the sata channel and
when she went to re-boot she got nothing. Needless to say I was pissed when
I got home and my computer did not work. I also forgot I use an athlon 64
3700 (939), I tried to use the top-hat bios recovery thing but that did not work either. The led lights and ram led on the board work as does the nb fan
but I still get no screen. Is it possible that my CPU is fried or could it be that
the bios is fried beyond the point of being usable. The dvd light comes on but
even with a bootable cd in it wont seek out to install a new bios. I wonder if the boot block is bad?. I know all but the cpu and board are good due to me
having a sckt 754 system as well. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Corpse.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2005
    I'm thinking maybe mobo- CPUs are pretty tough and 939 AMDs are about as tough as they come. But ....

I don't know much about ECS boards, but isn't the KN1 Extreme the one where the Top-hat is like this chip that piggy-backs onto the BIOS chip and flashes it? At any rate- I'm not sure if this method will necessarily change your BIOS settings. As a WAG, you might try to reset your BIOS by the method recommended by the maker- generally a battery removal and/or jumper setting.

Well- in any case, I have to ask if you're sure it is not the power supply and/or video card. You might try a working graphics card or another supply of equal or greater rating.

Others may chime in with some other ideas- but yours went unanswered a while- so maybe getting bumped will generate more help-

Hope something works-
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited November 2005
    Presumably you have tried clearing the BIOS a few times? Sometimes, just one clear dosen't work. ;)

Crypto
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Sometimes, just one clear dosen't work.
    That's the truth. The Abit NF7-S in my No. 2 system needs literally 6 or 7 jumper resets before the BIOS will play ball. That board is rock solid when set up, but changing hardware can require a couple hours of BIOS resets and pulling the battery. Corpse, if the jumper reset doesn't work, you should pull the CMOS battery (the silver disk battery) and keep it out for 15 minutes to an hour, to completely drain all stored power from the motherboard and CMOS.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    That's the truth. The Abit NF7-S in my No. 2 system needs literally 6 or 7 jumper resets before the BIOS will play ball. That board is rock solid when set up, but changing hardware can require a couple hours of BIOS resets and pulling the battery. Corpse, if the jumper reset doesn't work, you should pull the CMOS battery (the silver disk battery) and keep it out for 15 minutes to an hour, to completely drain all stored power from the motherboard and CMOS.

Whilst the power cord is pulled out of the wall ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Yes, thanks. Of course, you are right.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    If the bios reset mentioned by the others doen't work I would try another power supply next. At least power it up and test with a multimeter.