Trigem Cognac Motherboard

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited November 2010 in Hardware
Recently we've finished off the basement and turned half of it into a gym-type area, so I'm now using my old Celeron computer as a music storage computer... however it has a 7.5 GB Hard Drive and I have 9GB of music, and with the OS installed and everything, I can only fit about 5GB. I saw this hard drive in a flyer I got in the mail that's a 200GB for $30. I don't need 200GB for music storage, but I was thinking I could use it between computers, or use it for music storage and a backup drive in case any of my 3 computers decide to crash.

I was wondering how much of the 200GB a Trigem Cognac (the mobo in my old computer) will recognize. I looked on Google searches but couldn't find anything on it. Can someone please let me know if my mobo will support this harddrive? It's only $30 so it's not a big deal even if it only recognizes 120GB or whatever.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I would shy away from using a no-name hard drive. At least it's no-name to me. Never heard of Trigem until now. Perhaps it's a rebadged drive from a reputable manufacturer. Perhaps it's a piece of junk just waiting to crash a couple weeks after you install it.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2005
    Do not but a Trigem hdd they are the worste drives you can buy.

If you value your music it will never go on a trigem brand hdd. :)
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited November 2005
    No, this isnt' a Trigem harddrive, the computer has a Trigem motherboard. It was from 5 years ago when I didn't know any better. I'm asking if my Trigem motherboard will support a harddrive this big. The harddrive is made by Ultra.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2005
    No it probably wont if it was a maxtor seagate or wd you could use there tools to enable a cap and use software to unlock the rest... but since its not you will have to use it on another system.

Btw I wouldn't put any data that isn't stored in at least 3 other places on a harddrive thats made by anyone other then westren digital or seagate.
    edited November 2005
    So the mobo won't support the harddrive at all, or will it only recognize a portion of it?
    edited November 2005
    Sorry, I misread your post. Earlier I did a search on Trigem. Their motherboards seem to have one overriding pattern - used in cut-rate budget machines. Nothing wrong with saving money and budget anything, as long as skimping on quality doesn't end up costing the consumer more in the long run. So, I stand by what I said earlier, just substitute "motherboard" for "hard drive". I wouldn't use a no-name motherboard. Perhaps it's good quality, perhaps it's not. There are so many high quality boards of all specifications available for cheap on Ebay forums trading posts, you might as well go with quality.
    edited November 2005
    The Trigem is the mobo that came with the computer. I've had it for 5½ years and have had no problems with it. There's no use in upgrading it if I don't really have to. I'm just looking for a new hard drive for it.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited November 2005
    a PCI ata adeptor might help you
  • edited November 2005
    gibbonsl wrote:
    a PCI ata adeptor might help you

Yeah, you could use a pci ata100 or ata1330 ide adapter card and for sure you could use all of the drive's capacity. If you look around you might be able to pick one up for cheap.
    edited November 2005
    ok cool, I'll look around. Also I just checked back and the drive is made by Maxtor, which I've heard mixed opinions about.
    edited November 2005
    Oh well, I found out that I missed the sale on the hard drive. I woke up at 9:30 this morning and realized the sale ended at 10:00, and had an appointment to go to. Would I be able to pick up an adapter card at any chain computer store? All we've got around here is stuff like Best Buy, Circuit City, and Staples, there's only one actual computer store I know of but it's always closed whenever I go by.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Staples has carried PCI adapters here where I live, as has Circuit City. YMMV where you are, but try those two.
  • TOEKNEETOEKNEE Queensland, Australia
    edited March 2009
    So the mobo won't support the harddrive at all, or will it only recognize a portion of it?
    If you go to HP and get the file "FresnoCognac_307.exe" and follow the instructions, your BIOS will be flashed with an upgrade to version 3.07, this will allow recognition of larger HDD's, larger RAM, up to 1.1Ghz coppermine 133FSB processor, and also more control of board resources. This also makes this board run better under WinXP.
    Cheers.
    edited March 2009
    If...if he still has that motherboard three and a half years after he last posted. :)

Welcome to Icrontic.
    edited March 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    If...if he still has that motherboard three and a half years after he last posted. :)

Welcome to Icrontic.

Aw Shucks, I'm a bit of a hoarder and I've got junk from the dark ages (AMSTRAD 64 with green screen wrapped up in the chook shed).
    So forgive me if I think someone else may be too, after all, there's been a lot of fine stuff been done by tinkering with things(just not by me sadly)
    edited March 2009
    Nothing wrong with being a collector if it brings you pleasure. It's just pretty funny when an ancient thread is reviewed. And yes, I do point the finger at myself, as I've commented in old threads often enough. :)
  • scarm10scarm10 Las Vegas, NV
    edited June 2009
    TOEKNEE wrote:
    If you go to HP and get the file "FresnoCognac_307.exe" and follow the instructions, your BIOS will be flashed with an upgrade to version 3.07, this will allow recognition of larger HDD's, larger RAM, up to 1.1Ghz coppermine 133FSB processor, and also more control of board resources. This also makes this board run better under WinXP.
    Cheers.
    i have an emachines and was wondering if this would work on my pc. emachines is the costco or sams club of computers by dell. i cant complain about my beast. havent replaced a single fan, HDD, power supply, nothing in ten years.
    edited June 2009
    scarm10 wrote:
    i have an emachines and was wondering if this would work on my pc. emachines is the costco or sams club of computers by dell. i cant complain about my beast. havent replaced a single fan, HDD, power supply, nothing in ten years.

I obtain a lot of elderly machines that I fix up for Pensioners, Kids with various problems and worthy people who are just plain broke. My habit with these machines is to chase down the latest drivers possible. Generally when I do this I find that the manufacturers have addressed various problems that most people don't seem to worry about. Often the changes are brought about by such things as increased amount of RAM commonly used (128Mb in 1999 to 3-4Gb in 2009), Processor speeds, FSB speed, Graphics usage, resource allocation (IRQ, DMA etc) & we could bandy on about this all night. SO when I go to the various manufacturers, I check out all the legacy hardware drivers and then I can usually put together something that runs a lot better than I initially expect, it ain't hard and it ain't rocket science...I just get a kick out of messin' with this stuff.
  • edited November 2010
    TOEKNEE wrote:
    I obtain a lot of elderly machines that I fix up for Pensioners, Kids with various problems and worthy people who are just plain broke. My habit with these machines is to chase down the latest drivers possible. Generally when I do this I find that the manufacturers have addressed various problems that most people don't seem to worry about. Often the changes are brought about by such things as increased amount of RAM commonly used (128Mb in 1999 to 3-4Gb in 2009), Processor speeds, FSB speed, Graphics usage, resource allocation (IRQ, DMA etc) & we could bandy on about this all night. SO when I go to the various manufacturers, I check out all the legacy hardware drivers and then I can usually put together something that runs a lot better than I initially expect, it ain't hard and it ain't rocket science...I just get a kick out of messin' with this stuff.

I get a kick out of the old stuff also. Like to see an older fossil get up and go and do things that others think it won't. I don't expect a rocketship but having an acceptable performing computer for cheap is kinda cool. I have an HP Pavilion 6683 with a Celeron 533 MHz on a Trigem Cognac motherboard with intel i810 chipset. I am looking at upgrading to the 1 Gig Pentium III and going with 2 - 512 MB PC100/133 SDRAM sticks. Based on your comment I guess I would have to uprade the BIOS to latest to get all this to work? I am not what you would call computer literate as far as all the technology and stuff is concerned. I just feel around in the dark and try to do the best I can with my ignorance. Fun though, and most times I can come out a winner, or if not; I have a good time trying! Where is a good place to go to find out info if one is not especially tech saavy? I hate to ask too many dumb questions all in one place. LOL
    edited November 2010
    I get a kick out of the old stuff also. Like to see an older fossil get up and go and do things that others think it won't. I don't expect a rocketship but having an acceptable performing computer for cheap is kinda cool. I have an HP Pavilion 6683 with a Celeron 533 MHz on a Trigem Cognac motherboard with intel i810 chipset. I am looking at upgrading to the 1 Gig Pentium III and going with 2 - 512 MB PC100/133 SDRAM sticks. Based on your comment I guess I would have to uprade the BIOS to latest to get all this to work? I am not what you would call computer literate as far as all the technology and stuff is concerned. I just feel around in the dark and try to do the best I can with my ignorance. Fun though, and most times I can come out a winner, or if not; I have a good time trying! Where is a good place to go to find out info if one is not especially tech saavy? I hate to ask too many dumb questions all in one place. LOL

I find most manufacturers have "Legacy" drivers available...you just have to hunt for them a bit.
    Another good source is Driverguide, just don't let them give you driver detective as it is a most useless chunk of sloppy software!
    Some manufacturers are also hard to get onto (Soltek) you're likely to wind up on an asian PR$N site so always tread with care and keep anti-virus & anti-malware up to date, I have lost track of the number of files I have scanned after downloading and found a nasty within them.
    NEC, Asus, Fujitsu & Seagate have replied and assisted by Email to me, so don't be frightened to ask them, they are usually very helpful with no charge.
  • edited November 2010
    TOEKNEE wrote:
    I find most manufacturers have "Legacy" drivers available...you just have to hunt for them a bit.
    Another good source is Driverguide, just don't let them give you driver detective as it is a most useless chunk of sloppy software!
    Some manufacturers are also hard to get onto (Soltek) you're likely to wind up on an asian PR$N site so always tread with care and keep anti-virus & anti-malware up to date, I have lost track of the number of files I have scanned after downloading and found a nasty within them.
    NEC, Asus, Fujitsu & Seagate have replied and assisted by Email to me, so don't be frightened to ask them, they are usually very helpful with no charge.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I don't get on too often as you can see. Haven't done any more with the old Pavilion yet. Still evaluating and dragging my feet. I need to get serious and check out the updates and such before I spring for the wrong RAM. I would hate to purchase and then have to use it for paperweights. Not heavy enough. LOL Hope you had good Thanksgiving holiday!