Questions for the Short media and friends

IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
edited November 2005 in Folding@Home
With the vacations comming up--esspecially christmas vacation, we should all go and try to get some schools to lend us their networks to run F@H for 93. I am pretty damn sure they will be head over heels for it. I mean who wouldnt wanna help out? How many people think they can get local schools to join us?

I believe I can get LMHS, PHS, and (maybe?) mt greylock to join us in it. I am also planning to put a article in the Berkshire Eagle about people donating old computers they do not want. This is the time of the year to do this cause with the holidays comming around people are probably either upgrading or replacing and that will supply us with some stuff to work with.

If we can get some hand-me-down farms together we can do some pretty nice stuff. Plus egg is going to have holiday discounts and stuff that are good like the overstock and other things they wanna get rid of.

I am a bit scatter brained. those were some ideas, here are some questions:

I am trying to get a home bussiness thing outside of the community. I am not asking for hosting or money, I am asking though if I could place an ad on the website with your permission. It would really get me out there if I were on a site as popular as this. You won't be embarrassed either. It looks pretty damn good. It still is in its blah state. I need to make the php scripts and some flash for it. Once it is completely automated then the decision is needed. So if you want to think it over really good I am all for it.

I have the DNS reserved already i just need to figure out whether I will host or pay or find a friend. But right now I just need to finish the content and load it up to where people will be interested. I also am curious: flash or DHTML? the pricetag is very intimidating. but do you think it will be worth it compared to simply sweating it out and coding the interactive parts with the javascript dom css xhtml and all that stuff?

Another question: what does it take to become a reseller? (like newegg)--how does it work? does anyone have experience in the process? I was sorta thinking about having my site able to do that cause I know how to set up the stuff to do it but financially how does the whole thing work it drives me nuts trying to imagine it. Like do they give you it, you are given a price to sell at and you try to do something to profit or???? aaaaaaaaaaaa.
Please say something about this I am very confused w/ it. thnx

Next question:

I am going to be putting quite a bit of money into the folding at home project when the donated pc's start turning up along w/ ones I find abandoned around town in order to get them into a good working state for the project and team. I am not comfortably employed right now, I only do webdesign for an art gallery a few hours a week so its pretty tight over here and I am dying to get a video card [PCI-E] for my computer I built over the summer. If anyone knows where or how I can get some sort of discount I am really in your debt. I am shooting for the Evga GeForce 7800 GT which will hopefully last me a few years. If you guys know how I can get a discount I will really really really really appreciate it. The reason why I am really into this project is cause my grampa had a huge ass battle w/ cancer a few years ago and it really sucks so the sooner they get a cure that just kicks the cancers ass right then and there the better...also because diseases suck for people to have to deal with. so...im really wanting to help out...but im not a rich kid so im just askin for a little too.

sorry about the huge block of text and thx for taking the time to read it please respond

thx again...

Ray

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I really doubt you'll find a 7800GT anywhere for a deal. Sorry about that. For anything less, look at our Trading Post forums and similar forums at PCPerspective and Anandtech. If you're the Ebay type, of course, try them as well. I rarely buy anything retail (bricks and mortar or online) unless with massive rebates. I'm also a big time Trading Posts junkie. Good luck. We welcome you to Team 93. You will find we've an enthusiastic team with a good sense of humor.

Happy Thanksgiving
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    If you are interested in advertising at Short-Media, please contact one of the owner-administrators: Primesuspect and Shorty. Thank you for asking first. That is respectable.
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited November 2005
    thx :)