hard drive size?

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited November 2005 in Hardware
i have 2x 250gb hard drives on my comp right now. They are on a ide contoller by promise (tx2ultra100) im using xp pro /sp2 all updates. I can only see 132gb of hard drive space. When I boot the controller sees them as 250gb, and i know the controller works with 250's cause i have used it in other computers before. I know on older computer that was an issue but i put on sp2 cause i though sp1 would only go to 137gb right? Any ideas cause im scratching my head on this one.

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2005
    Bud wrote:
    i have 2x 250gb hard drives on my comp right now. They are on a ide contoller by promise (tx2ultra100) im using xp pro /sp2 all updates. I can only see 132gb of hard drive space. When I boot the controller sees them as 250gb, and i know the controller works with 250's cause i have used it in other computers before. I know on older computer that was an issue but i put on sp2 cause i though sp1 would only go to 137gb right? Any ideas cause im scratching my head on this one.
    The change you need may not necessarily just be in the OS but the controller itself. You might

Try this

and see if that is what you need. I noticed that version 2.20.0.14 addresses this issue.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited November 2005
    Bud wrote:
    I know on older computer that was an issue but i put on sp2 cause i though sp1 would only go to 137gb right?
    XP SP 1 was the first to support above 137 GB. It was XP SP0 that only supported 137 GB. Were the drives formatted/partitioned under an older OS? If the partitions were made only 137 GB, then you'll still get that in SP1/SP2. Try going under Drive Manager in XP and see what the drive visual looks like.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2005
    even under disk manager its show only 137gb even if i try to reformat. I tried using the newer driver off the site and it doesnt work the windows driver loads instead
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited November 2005
    Can you try a different controller (on the motherboard, perhaps) to see if that makes any difference? As long as the Promise controller's BIOS is up to date, there shouldn't be any problems with it and size.

Was Windows updated to SP1/2 from the original SP0, or was SP1/2 slip streamed into the initial installation of XP? If updated, the Atapi.sys file might have not been updated. See below.

Microsoft Help & Support - Enabling 48-bit LBA (WinXP)
    Right-click Atapi.sys in your %systemroot%\System32\Drivers folder, and then click Properties.

If Atapi.sys is not version 5.1.2600.1135 (or version 5.1.2600.1152 for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition), obtain and install the hotfix that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 331958.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2005
    i went from sp1 to sp2. Also the hotfix is not needed it says its right
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2005