help me build my new pc

edited November 2005 in Hardware
Okey im a bit behind the times here but i want to upgrade my computer, I was thinking about the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 512KB, BOXED w/fan

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4 SLI, Socket -939,S-ATA,Dual-GbLAN,Firewire,PCI-Ex16

Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB CL3 KIT Kit w/two matched PC3200 CL3 DDRs

Club3D GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express

Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM NCQ

all from this site:http://www.komplett.co.uk

Would all of that work well together? Im just trying to get a decent upto date system for a decent price!

Also i have an older ATX midi case that is 5 years old will it support the new mother board or will i need one with a bigger power supply. Whats the minimum in wattage of power supply id need to run the above?

Also what is the maximum processor that motherboard will support? just for future ref if i want to upgrade again.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    what's your budget like?
  • edited November 2005
    between £500 & £600
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Please provide the specifications on your old power supply unit. There should be a data label on the side of the unit showing brand, total power, and idividual output for each "rail" - 12v, 5v, et cetera.

Also, how will you be employing your computer: 2d graphics (photography), movies, internet, MP3s, office applications, all of the above?
  • edited November 2005
    Are you upgrading an old system, or making a new one? If you already have some of that hardware, specify what you have. Then it will be easier to make suggestions. Otherwise: Looks like a stronger system than mine.
  • edited November 2005
    im upgrading a really old system all im keeping from the old system is : the monitor, the dvd-rom drive, the cd-rw drive, keyboard, mouse, floppy drive ect i basicaly want to replace the whole insides of the computer and hopfully keep case and psu.
  • edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Please provide the specifications on your old power supply unit. There should be a data label on the side of the unit showing brand, total power, and idividual output for each "rail" - 12v, 5v, et cetera.

Also, how will you be employing your computer: 2d graphics (photography), movies, internet, MP3s, office applications, all of the above?

the psu is as follows: macron power model: MPT-300

input 115v 6amp 60hz
    230v 3amp 50hz

output : 300w max

red +5v max 30a
    yellow +12 max 10a
    white -5 0.5a
    blue -12 0.8a
    purple +3.3v 14a
    brown +5v 2a
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Any special plans? overclocking? further expansion?
    I didn't think so, but ought to ask.

You might look at other mobo. You can save a few bucks and still get the feature package. I'll give it look and post some.

Have you looked at a 6800GS for video?
    And I am partial to Seagate hdds, a 5 year war. is nice.
  • edited November 2005
    well yeah i do want to upgrade again when the cpu becomes slow thats why i choose than motherboard because it can support all current 939 cpus even the dual core ones, am i right? The hard drive i choose due to price yet its sata2 and 300mbs per second! The graphics card i just choose because its a mid range one ill probably upgrade that also in the future!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    I would not use your current PSU with your new computer. You'd just be asking for trouble.
  • edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    I would not use your current PSU with your new computer. You'd just be asking for trouble.

yes but why? and what sort PSU should i get?
  • edited November 2005
    radio wrote:
    yes but why? and what sort PSU should i get?

Okey iv done some reading and it looks like ill need a new case and psu as that board has many connectors and stuff that my case does not even have slots for like firewire ect.
  • edited November 2005
    When you choose your case and PSU keep in mind that you'll be running two video cards in SLI. That's extra power and heat you'll need to handle.
  • edited November 2005
    okey iv been doing my homework and iv now came up with the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 512KB, BOXED w/fan

MSI K8N SLI Platinum, nForce4 SLI, ATX Socket-939,4xSATA2,GbLAN,Firew,PCI-Ex16

Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB CL3 KIT Kit w/two matched PC3200 CL3 DDRs

Club3D GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express

Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM NCQ

and this cheep 500w psu and case combo
    http://www.e-woc.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1552

I was advised to change to that MSI K8N SLI Platinum motherboard as it was better but cheeper than the asus.

what do you rekon guys?
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2005
    Really i wouldnt be cheaping out on the power supply. Its the foundation of your computer, and is integrally connected to every little bit of your machine. Should the cheapie PSU decide to fail, it could take a lot of hardware with it, making for a very expensive repair. ( When my friend's psu died, it took the cpu and mobo with it =/)

I'd suggest either an Antec, Enermax, Fortron, OCz, or Seasonic to be safe.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    I would agree with JChretien.. The PSU is a very important component in the PC, and you don't want to skimp. Check out the OCZ Powerstream 420, or one of the Antec 'True Power' 2.x models. They are great PSUs that will do the job wonderfully and will not break the bank.