Transferring HD and OS to new system

CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Got myself a new partial upgrade. Includes an NF4 MB, A64 3000+, 1GB memory and a PCIE x700 PRO.

My question is this. Can I do some sort of repair install of my XP Pro OS so that I can move my existing hard drive on to the new system without loosing any data.

Lazy, I know, but I can't face a reformat and re-install of all my programmes, every thing is running so well at the moment. :)

Thanks

Crypto :D

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    As soon as the machine is running, BEFORE letting it enter Windows, enter the BIOS and ensure all settings are appropriate for your new motherboard and integral components. I recommend you use "Failsafe" settings during the initial stages of your build. Have your Windows CD in the CD tray. Ensure that the systems is set in the BIOS to boot from CD. Boot from your Windows CD and perform a "Repair" installation. That will be when you get to the point where you have an option to perform a new installation or repair a current installation. Select repair. After Windows has finished the repair/installation, immediately install all the motherboard drivers that are on your motherboard CD. Better yet, create a special folder before the system rebuild and Windows reinstallation. Go to your new motherboard manufacturer's website, and download all the latest drivers for the board. These drivers will then be ready to install when your repair installation is completed. After you are sure everything is running optimally, then you can re-enter the BIOS and make whatever performance tweaks you wish.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    Thanks Leo,

I might give that a go this weekend, if I get time. :(

It sounds like a pretty quick fix, but if it goes wrong it could take a long time to put it right.

Cheers

Crypto :D
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited December 2005
    Doing a repair install works ok, but after doing 10 of them and having 9 of the 10 become problematic...I opted to just format drives.
  • edited December 2005
    Another trick that might help you out is before you take your old system down for the last time before the upgrade, you uninstall all mobo drivers from the old board. That way your install isn't carrying over excess garbage on the swapover. I've personally done upgrades like this before with no problems, but I've also had it not take to the upgrade and have to wipe and reload too. I recently upgraded (Win2K Pro install though) a machine with an NF2 chipset to an i875 chipset with zero problems on the upgrade. I didn't even have to do a repair install to get it up and running. This was about 3 months ago.
    edited December 2005
    ...before you take your old system down for the last time before the upgrade, you uninstall all mobo drivers from the old board. That way your install isn't carrying over excess garbage on the swapover
    Thanks, Mudd. That's part of the regimen I specified above but forgot to add in.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited December 2005
    jradmin wrote:
    Doing a repair install works ok, but after doing 10 of them and having 9 of the 10 become problematic...I opted to just format drives.

I have done between 150 and 200 and had maybe 3 with problems?

tex
    edited December 2005
    I have done between 150 and 200 and had maybe 3 with problems?
    I certainly have no where near that many, but I've only had to do a clean install for system upgrades/components swaps one time with WinXP. I think the key is getting the system as clean as possible before the switch.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    My last format was in August of 2003. I've gone from a T-Bird Socket A system to an Athlon 64 Socket 939 system between now and then. I've done the same thing with quite a few other computers as well. A repair install is the way to go.

The advice about tweaking your BIOS and uninstalling the old drivers before removing the HD from your old system is excellent. :)
    edited December 2005
    If I recall correctly, the only time I've had to completely re-install from scratch was when transitioning from a Socket A AMD Thunderbird to a Socket 478 i875 Intel. But at that time, I upgraded just about everything.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    Leo and all,

thanks for the help.
    I did as suggested and it all worked fairly well. Just had a couple of programmes that had to be reloaded, but the process was fairly painless, it kept all my settings.

Cheers :D