Maximise production on lowly AMD rigs

CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
edited December 2005 in Folding@Home
In trying to screw the maximum out of SM7, I've had a big boost by selecting deadlineless units. :)

I expect many of you already know this, but might be worth repeating for those of you (including me) that don't.

SM7 was struggling along on 40 point Gromacs that took 28 hours to complete, but after selecting "Deadlineless" she's getting lovely 240 point Tinkers that take 40 hours to complete. A 3 fold increase in production. :D

You do need the latest version of the folding client to select Deadlineless.

Take it whilst it's going. :smokin:

Crypto :D

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2005
    In some of the older versions it was also refered to as GAH. (Genome@home) In case somebody is running on an older Win98 box and wants to use the graphic client. Version 4 I believe is the newest for Win 98.

They can also be d'loaded in batches of 10 to minimize networking.

Yes, the Amd rigs do like these! (older AMD's that is)
  • edited December 2005
    Even A64's do very well on Tinker wu's. I have my old dually XP-M machine set to do timeless tinkers and she averages over 350 points/day with the good old tinker wu's. :cool:
  • ginocerulliginocerulli Shanghai, China
    edited December 2005
    :confused:
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    :confused:

What do you need to know mate?

Give us a bit of info on what you are currently running and I'm sure we can get you folding to the max. :D

Crypto :smokin:
    edited December 2005
    unfortunately I am limited to a laptop for now..i have not purchased a desktop since moving to china...

I have an hp pavilion ze4500

mobile AMD Athlon XP2500
    1.86 GHz, 512 of RAM

I am not sure if i am folding slow or not, because I just began.
    I am running windows xp pro (service pac 1, but about to go 2)

here is my Electronic Microscope info:

Protein: 1205 p1850_Myosin6_pt_us
    Time Per Frame: 00:30:23 182.0
    Time Per W/U: 50:38:20 (1850) 35/62/13 [158]

let me know if you need more info..

thanks in advance...

P.S. I am a NOOB

Gino
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    If you are running the graphical client you will have a red cog in your bottom right taskbar. Right click on that. Click on "configure". Click on the "advanced" tab. Then in the drop down box in the deadlines section select "Deadlineless"

Next time you download a new work unit, you should get a 240 point Tinker. Your Athlon XP2500 will love it. :)

If you are running the "no nonsense" console, I don't know how to do that one. Perhaps someone else can help out with that one.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Crypto
    edited December 2005
    no nonsense console...:)

i am getting ahead of myself anyway...i will worry about completing a my first work unit...

then tweak :)
  • edited December 2005
    OK, ginocerulli, here's a few pics on how to set up so your XP-M laptop will draw the timeless tinker work. First, make a shortcut to the console executable and rename it configonly, so you know what the shortcut is set up to do. Then, right click the shortcut and select properties and then in the target line after the entry already there, type a space, followed by "-configonly", without the quotes. Now you have a working shortcut to reset your config parameters. Start the client with the new shortcut and reset the fields you need to reset. The choice of which type of wu's to fold is under the advanced options. After resetting your configuration the client will then close out and you can then restart the client with your regular startup shortcut. If you have the client running as a service, you will need to go shut the service down first before resetting your configurations. Here's a couple of pics of a setup to help you out
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited December 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Even A64's do very well on Tinker wu's. I have my old dually XP-M machine set to do timeless tinkers and she averages over 350 points/day with the good old tinker wu's. :cool:

My Opty 242 gets about 6 min. per frame on the tinkers. (1 proc) Currently holding even with my wifes 2400 xp. :thumbsup:

Makes life alot easier sneakernetting. :D
    edited December 2005
    ok, i gave it shot, i will be sure to post back if i run into any problems

thanks
    :thumbsup:

gino
    edited December 2005
    i did notice that before, my

machine ID: was 1

in yours it is 8...

when i did it, i used 8

will that be ok?

thanks

gino
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    The machine ID number is only important if you have HT (a capablilty of some Pentium-4 CPU's), a dual-core CPU, or a computer with multiple CPU's. It doesn't matter for a computer with one single-core non-HT CPU.

Setting the number to "8" shouldn't hurt anything, though. :)
    edited December 2005
    good...

seems to be folding faster :)

9:14 for last frame...

it sure seems to hang up at 100% of each frame for quite a while...that normal?

thanks

gino
    edited December 2005
    ...it sure seems to hang up at 100% of each frame for quite a while...that normal?...
    It's probably consolidating and saving the work already completed before moving on to the next step. I've noticed that periodic delay at times myself.
  • edited December 2005
    gino, I used machine ID 8 becasue I was setting that up as an example for you and it wasn't actually an active client. The present version client will let you run up to 8 clients on 1 computer, so you could theoretically run 8 clients on a 4 way dual core system. I just wish I was rich enough to set up such a beast. ;)
    edited December 2005
    thanks again for all the help...

getting the virus was the best thing that ever happened to me...

it forced me to stumble into this community

:mullet:

Gino
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Once I was setting up folding on a computer, and I used to always use 1 as the machine ID. Well for some reason, on that particular computer, setting it to 1 was causing a hardware conflict with something else in the system. So I switched to using 8 as the machine ID and haven't had a problem since. :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    ...getting the virus was the best thing that ever happened to me...it forced me to stumble into this community
    :mullet:
    Gino

What a nice to say. We are glad you are part of our community. :cool:
  • edited December 2005
    i'm running windows XP with a AMD 3200+, 5 12 ram. is there anyway to get better work units? for the past week ive been getting little 120 point WU's. i know that my computer can handle bigger ones bc my first WU was a 700 pointer.

bikerboy
  • edited December 2005
    bikerboy, set your AMD machine up to do timeless Tinkers, like in my example up the page. Your AMD will pretty much get all Tinker units, which the AMD procs excell at. My NF7 rig (which I just took down a couple of days ago), which had an XP-M @2400 averaged around 200 points/day doing the timeless tinkers. And that is with value ram and not some high priced stuff. My dually XP-M rig averages around 160-170 points/day/processor on the timeless tinkers too.
  • edited December 2005
    ok what version do you have to have downloaded to set this. and is it possible to change the setting without redownloading F@H?

bikerboy
    edited December 2005
    If you're using the console version, make a shortcut to the console, right-click the shortcut and left-click "Properties", then add -configonly at the end of the "Target" line. (Note: There is a space before the dash)

Run the shortcut and it will allow you to change the configuration. When it gets to the line asking "Change advanced options" say "yes" and go through it until you see the "deadlineless" part, then answer "yes" to that. :)