Godzilla PSU

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited December 2005 in Hardware
I was clicking a link in the small advert section here at S-M and stumbled across this bad boy. :eek:
* 1KW Continuous (1.1KW Peak) @ 50°C
* Fits Std. ATX Cases (20” min. depth)
* +12VDC Rails Total 66A (70A Peak)
* High Efficiency (85%) with .99 PFC
* Ultra-Tight Regulation (+VDC @ 1%)
* Amazingly Quiet Cooling System
* Complete Array of Output Connectors
* EPS12V, SLI, and SSI Compatibility
* 5-Year Warranty; Unbeatable Support

I think the biggest PSU I had ever previously seen was on the order of 650W. This fellow is rated at 1KW!

Comments

• edited December 2005
    Just what you need to seriously overclock a dual core Intel SLI setup. Fire that motha up and just watch the power meter spin. :mullet:;D;D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    That's PC Power & Cooling for ya. They make some of the sickest PSUs out there. Did you see the capacitors and heatsinks in that beast?? :eek:

I think that thing weighs more than my case!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Yep. This is some havy-duty artillery.

And I agree, your computer would be somewhat top heavy with that thing in it. :D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    i saw someone install one over at the [H] forum in one of those big lianli cases, he had to cut out the hdd racks and stuff just to get it to fit in there.
    edited December 2005
    It looks like it's at least 50% deeper than a typical PSU.
  • edited December 2005
    I just put it's (somewhat) smaller brother in a Thermaltake armor case, took a bit of persuasion but I got it in, the down side is it blocks the blowhole fan mount.

PSUmod.jpg
    I had to *slightly* open the hole for the psu...

tehpowar2.jpg
    There be the bad boy wedged in the case...actually allows full use of everything aside from the aforementioned blowhole fan...

Space.jpg
    Even the top HDD bay still fits in there. :thumbsup:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    are they serious? what do you need 1kw for? I know intels are power hungey. but damn!
  • edited December 2005
    well, for one thing it's future proof, I remember when I bought this 480w it was considered overkill but now with SLI and dualcore and 10krpm sata drives there is more need for more wattage.

In the future that need will only increase as more and more complex pieces of hardware emerge and with the 1k or 850 you're pretty well assured that no matter what you throw at it you'll be all set.
    edited December 2005
    Good points, madmat. Throw in the fact that the PSU comes with a five-year warranty and you're good to go until 2011. :D
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited December 2005
    what would you ever need that much power for? :confused:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    what would you ever need that much power for? :confused:
    A small house without a washing machine or dryer.
  • edited December 2005
    This rig I'm building has 3-120mm fans (2 are SF2's) 2-74gig rators, a 4800 X2, 7800GTX sli setup, 12v D5 pump, 400gig 7200RPM hdd, 2-dvdrw drives, x-fi elite pro, 4 gigs of ram, enermax 4 channel fan controller with temp sensing and the A8N32-SLI Deluxe ASUS mobo.

Everything will be overclocked to the point of maximum speed with utter reliability and drooping rails are not an option.

This is why my customer went with the $450 PSU.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2005
    could my 520 support my DC proc, 6800gt, 2 cd drives and 9 hard drives?
  • edited December 2005
    I don't see why not...what brand 520w?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited December 2005
    Enermax 535watt psu
  • edited December 2005
    Yeah, I would think that it would be plenty. At max draw you're looking at maybe a 12A draw from the SCSI drives.

If it was too much you'd likely have noticed system instabilities such as lockups, crashing and other issues by now.