crashing

ginocerulliginocerulli Shanghai, China
edited December 2005 in Hardware
my cpu keeps crashing...often over night, it messes up my folding !....i believe it is heat related...

is there a way to see some sort of log that will have information on why a shutdown occured?

i have windows xp pro

hp pavilion ze4500
athlon 2500 1.86 ghz

thanks for the help

gino

Comments

• blueoxblueox Greece
    edited December 2005
    Yes, you probably have a heat problem.
    A very useful tool, that is logging and monitoring every temperature sensor in your system, is the freeware utility, Speedfan :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    When was the last time you cleaned the interior of your case? The heatsink, a finned metal device, which covers the CPU ("CPU" is the central processing unit; "computer" is the whole thing, without peripherals) may be clogged with dust and lint. This will cause the CPU to overheat as air cannot circulate through the fins to dissipate the CPU's heat output. Please do check the computer's interior for dust. Clean it out. If the system still crashes, let us know, and we'll take it from there.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2005
    Methinks that ginocerulli has a laptop.

Gino, it could be the folding that is overheating your laptop, perhaps you could try reducing the CPU useage down a touch. I believe the default setting is 100%. The setting is under the advanced tab of the FAH control panel.

Crypto :)