P4 S L O W doing units?

ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Folding@Home
OK I have 2 "fast" rigs and 2 "legacy" rigs folding. Since I joined the team roughly 2 months ago, AMD 2100+ @ 2000 MHz (10X200) has done 38 WU. Pretty much chugs out 1 a day.

P4 2.8 @ 3000 MHz (on Granite Bay dual channel mem) has had some down time but has returned EIGHT WU and is taking roughly 3 days per WU. Roughly the same as my 1.4 Thunderbird, so you can see the problem. I need some help optimizing this rig or figuring out what's going on, it used to do a unit roughly every 20 hours when I was on the OCCC team.

I'll probably need a little hand holding, I've never messed with tags or extensions or any type of H4X0r1Ng with F@H, suggestions welcomed and all will be tried.

Should I start by uninstalling and reinstalling? I'm running 3.24 graphical client, the log says it's running Gromacs core on project 542 right now.....

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Depending how you running it, you should put it like this: ...\FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods -forceasm -local -service (service is optional). advmethods makes you fold beta w/u's which are usually gromacs and forceasm forces the optimizations that might get disabled if something gets unstable (I haven't had a problem yet).
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    .....put it like that......where?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    You do not need the -forceasm flag for Pentium 4C CPUs.

You mentioned "542". Man, am I ever having a headache with those! I'm looking for a solution that will just flat out force the Folding client to refuse to download 542 and 572 proteins, at least with my Intel rig.

You might like to follow this thread .

I've been to the Folding Community site. No extensive searches yet; but it appears Gromacs are causing other users, AMD and Intel, indigestion.

Keto, I hope we can solve this. I was getting 50-100% more production out of my System 1 than my System 2, until 1 started downloading proteins 542 and 572. Arrggggh!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    keto said
    .....put it like that......where?
    They're switches. Create a short cut and add them to the target part of the shortcut tab after you right click and hit properties.... :eek3:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    I am guessing you have a HT P4 which I think the 2.8s are unless its was an older one. IF it does have HT (hyperthreading) then you need to run 2 instances of FAH. At least one has to be the console with machine ID=2 since the GUI is always Machine ID=1.

And just to make sure, look in the log and make sure it says "Extra SSE boost OK".
    edited September 2003
    Nope, an older P4 2.8 533 no HT for me *yet* The Gigabyte 8INXP (Granite Bay) is a helluva board but wont take the 800 (200) FSB processors over about 179 FSB so no point until I decide to blow big dough on a new setup, which is not imminent.

Think I'm going to try dumping F@H off it, clean out all folders & registry entries, and start again.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Keto,

What does it say in the taskmanagers performance tab when folding? 50 or 100%? If 50, then you have HT enabled and you therefore need another instance of the proggy to use the other 50. You do know that you can overclock higher WITHOUT hyperthreading right?
    edited September 2003
    Mack,

Yes, my stable OC on current moderate air cooling is probably 100-150 MHz higher, I had it in an H2O dual rad cooled rig (into which the NF7-S and 2100+ go this afternoon) and ran it a *little* higher than that but it's not a super OC chip. Neither is the board, my P4PE is probably good for +5 FSB over the 8INXP tho the RAID 0 and dual channel mem more than compensate for the difference.
    *edit* see above, looks like we were posting at same time, no HT for me

Leo,

Similar to your experience, when I deleted 3.24 and all files/reg entries, and started up 3.25beta, I immediately got a 542 unit. Monitoring progress now. Also updated catalyst drivers to 3.7 (I think from 3.4) on the off chance that they may have had anything to do with problems, though not putting much stock in that thought. Gigabyte R9700Pro v1.0.

**EDIT** 90 minutes later it's 15% thru first WU, it hasn't moved this fast in a long time, let's all X our fingers toes n eyes ("YOU'RE FACE IS GONNA FREEZE LIKE THAT!!@!:crazy: ) that this keeps up.
    edited September 2003
    Allllllrighty then, the gloves are off :werr:

Was cruising full bore, did about 65%ish WU in 7 hours, using beta 3.25. Did not notice that 3.25 didnt put an icon in the start menu. Rebooted computer and HEY! no F@H! OK manually start, whew, picked up where it left off. Rebooted again (required for some unknown reason to play a certain game, otherwise the open GL is conflicting I think but in any case the game crashes if F@H is or has been running), played for a bit, reloaded F@H LOST THE DAY'S WORK as it started a brand new WU :banghead:

"+ Processing work unit
    [04:22:08] Core required: FahCore_65.exe
    [04:22:08] Core not found.
    [04:22:08] - Core is not present or corrupted.
    [04:22:08] - Attempting to download new core..." (FROM LOG)

F@H is still not in start menu (added a shortcut to desktop) and not starting automatically on WINXP PRO startup.

Where do I go from here? If I'm gonna lose all my work on reboots this ain't cool........:shakehead
    edited September 2003
    Hmm well it should be ok. I restart and its fine like 99% of the time. I was OCing and shut it down in the middle of boot up (forgot to press del at boot) and it was still ok. You need to put the FAH shortcut in the Startup folder in Start->Programs->Startup then FAH shortcut to exe with any switches.

And I see core_65. Use advmethods and your P4 will fly even more with gromacs. Stanford will like that extra production increase.;)
  • edited September 2003
    forget the graphical client. Use this for your Intel rigs and this beta for your amd rigs. Your Tbird rig can use the Intel linked one since it won't take advantage of the SSE boost.

Download the Intel one to a directory and right click on the Folding console exe file then select create shortcut (not send to desktop shortcut). Right click on the shortcut and select properties. In the "target" line add the tag/switch -advmethods. Then use that shortcut whenever you start the folding client or put that into your startup folder if you want it to start with windows. So your target line should look like this: D:/F@H/FAH3Console.exe -advmethods or it may have quotes and look like this: "D:/F@H/FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods

Same thing with the AMD one except the tag/switch in the target line of the shortcut should be -advmethods -forceasm and would look like this: D:/F@H/FAH3.25-Console-beta.exe -advmethods -forceasm or with quotes like this: D:/F@H/FAH3.25-Console-beta.exe -advmethods -forceasm. Graphical client is a waste of your time and cpu cycles. If you decide to use Electron Microscope III to monitor your folding then the FAH3.25-Console-beta.exe needs to be renamed to FAH3Console.exe for EMIII to pick it up on the AMD rigs. To shutdown folding you just close the console window or while it's highlighted you can press Ctrl + C.
  • BDRBDR
    edited September 2003
    Graphical client is a waste of your time and cpu cycles.
    Ouch!

So you're saying I can do a lot better with Console?
    edited September 2003
    If you ever open the GUI its taking CPU cycles to draw those pretty pictures. Compare frame times with it open and with it closed. Let one run for awhile and compare.
  • BDRBDR
    edited September 2003
    I rarely ever opened the "display", but I'm switching to Console anyway.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    If you ever open the GUI its taking CPU cycles

For what, five seconds' worth?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Leonardo said
    If you ever open the GUI its taking CPU cycles

For what, five seconds' worth?

I guess for every time you have it open.
    edited September 2003
    OK serversphere, I did EXACTLY as you suggested - console + -advmethods - plus started up EM. According to EM, it's going to take 39 hours to process protein 356 (p380_gnra_pf1_56i) ... which seems long to me....

Any thoughts?
    edited September 2003
    It is a 53.3 pointer but it still seems kind long. Does it say SSE boost or standard loops where it starts to go thru the frames.

[05:32:36] Writing local files
    [05:32:36] Completed 110000 out of 500000 steps (22)
    [05:32:37] Extra SSE boost OK.
    [05:44:44] Writing local files
    [05:44:44] Completed 115000 out of 500000 steps (23)

23 was the first frame done after FAH was opened.
  • edited September 2003
    I've had the fewest problems sticking with the console over the past two+ years. You get to know Folding a lot better looking at the console window than at a picture. And now that Electron Microscope is so good, it's a match made in protein heaven. I don't know what versions of the client and what monitoring programs are best in terms of least cpu cycles but when you've got multiple machines you want easy fast setup and Stanford puts it best when they say "No-nonsense" text-only console.

Keto: was that time when EMIII first started up cause you have to wait for it to finish a frame before it picks up the right time. Also from www.em-dc.com update your EM protein data file to get correct point and time info. With EMIII I personally use it to start folding when my machine boots up and show in html format a nice page of your protein folding history. Here's my options setup
  • edited September 2003
    here is the options for the html I use
    click on make html then view html :)
    edited September 2003
    The html thing is really nice. Gives you a nice rundown of everythng that EM3 has recorded.
    edited September 2003
    I'm going to stop F@H on that box soon if I can't get this straightened away, which would be a shame.

NOW the problem is, it started from 0 again after a reboot. First time it's done that in about 8 reboots, was 64% done the WU.

Console/EM -advmethods

my head hurts:banghead:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    hi keto ...can you cut & paste the contents of your client.cfg file for us to look it over please if you don't mind kind sir??? :fold:
    it may look similar to this except probably all on one line perhaps:

[settings]
    username=csimon
    team=93
    asknet=no
    machineid=1
    local=173

[http]
    active=no
    host=localhost
    port=8080
    usereg=no

[clienttype]
    type=1

[core]
    priority=0
    disableassembly=no
    ignoredeadlines=no

time we get down to the bottom of this ...hate losing cpuage.
    edited September 2003
    [settings]
    username=keto
    team=93
    asknet=no
    machineid=1

[http]
    active=no
    host=localhost
    port=8080
    usereg=yes
    usepasswd=yes

That's the entire thing, seems to be some things missing....? ie. [clienttype] and [core]....Anything to do with EM?**EDIT**I'm guessing you are using display version whereas this is console. Do I get a cookie?

Also, usepasswd=yes, is this a local XP setting? Cause it's nothing I've set up.....
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    What version are you guys running to have the client.cfg so different? Also are you running the command line or GUI client?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Um.... I had the client restart a partial WU once, but that was when the box was restarted without pausing or stopping the client first so it would save state on exit. It then happily rebuilt its state file and proceeded to roll back 5% and continue-- THINK it detected an aborted write on reboot and had to roll back. HAVE had the client completely restart, in that case I tend to think I got a corrupt WU download and after having one do that twice I forced it to send\receive and the next download was SAME WU and it did not abort (not often this happens, but happen it DID) that way again. guess the server decided that also, gave me same WU code and a full download file to start work on. Soem of these WUs now are BEtas, if you get one projectr that keeps doign this and others that do not, tell us about the exceptions please (ones that do this repeatedly) and someone like mmonnin or me can post on the Folding Forums about it and have them check the WU turnin integrity\failure frequency stats for that particular WU\project, gen, etc. Active SCIENCE always has ocassional mistakes in it, and a distributed system always gets SOME download glitching.

John.
    edited September 2003
    TBonZ said
    What version are you guys running to have the client.cfg so different? Also are you running the command line or GUI client?

I am running 3.24 console ...I installed it as a service but not using firedaemon.

one thing I notice for certain is that the priority is not set which probably means nothing since I think that it defaults to 0 which is good afaic.

when you reinstalled did you delete everything in the folder including the client.cfg? also ...if you keep the subfolder /work you shouldnt lose any wu's so until you get this thing settled in you may want to make a bak up copy of it periodically and you can restore it whenever necessary.

ok if you're willing to try something let me know I have an idea.

first of all forget about emIII for now til we get this stable
    ...make a backup folder for saving your most necessary files to include the console client fah3console ...the core fahcore_78.exe ...and the /work subfolder.

once you have backed that up delete the entire folder that included those previously named files and folders.

rename the backup copy back to its original name and start fah3console.exe run from the start menu ...this will mainly rebuild the client.cfg .... go through all of the prompts and if/when prompted to go through "advanced setup" if I remember correctly can choose yes ...everything should continue as defaults except for when it asks for a folding preference you should choose F@H and not G@H or BOTH.

once you've done this then get back to me with the client.cfg ...in the meantime show me your startup box please!

thanks
    csimon
    edited September 2003
    should look something like this ...
    f@h.jpg 33.2K
  • edited October 2003
    how's your machines running Keto?