Cheap heatsink for 3700+ NO OC

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hi im looking for a cheap HS for a rig im building for a friend.

AMD 3700+ (SanDiego) cpu

Since he wont do any overclock i was thinking he won't need something like a XP-90 or a zalman flower to cool his computer. Maybe he could safe some bucks here...

I had found this one , its cheap and i want to know if you think it'll do a job with stock speed without any overclock to keep his cpu at overall 'normal' temp ?

ARCTIC COOLING SILENCER 64 ULTRA AMD S754/S939/S940 ALUMINUM 2300RPM 42CFM 12-23DBA

If you think i should go with something better , then what do you suggest ?

Thankx

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    If you haven't already purchased the CPU, I would recommend getting the full retail version. It will come with a much longer warranty and includes a HS/F which is adequate for stock speeds.

If you already have the CPU and bought an OEM unit, the one you linked to looks fine to me. Be forewarned that you're likely to get lots of advice regarding CPU cooling. :D
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited December 2005
    Hahah, well its 'on paper' by now so i'll maybe go for the full retail version then... I'll check price to see the difference to make a clear decision :thumbsup:

I know there's a lot of 'cooling freak' around here, thats why i've specified that it's a cpu for a 'stock use' only :D as the future owner don't even know what a BIOS is... ;)

Thankx for the quick reply Prof :cool:
  • edited December 2005
    Prof's giving you good advice about the retail proc, man. You get a 3 year warrantee with the retail proc, in case it decides to go belly up on you. If you do buy an oem proc, I guess that hsf will do. I prefer to go the premium hsf route myself because my machines all fold, which keeps the proc loaded at 100% all the time and the extra cooling power of a premium hsf is worth it in my opinion.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    GooD wrote:
    ...I'll check price to see the difference to make a clear decision...
    I'd be willing to bet that the difference is much less than the $27.75 CAD you were thinking of paying for the one you linked to above. :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    If you dont decide on a RIB CPU...I have a HSF that needs a home for a AMD 64 3700+ It is used but would sell it to you $5.00 bucks plus shipping! for another 4 bucks I would throw in some Artic Silver 5 for the bad boy : )
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Good advice above. The stock cooler with the retail CPU will do just fine. Sledgehammer might have a good deal (what a spammer! ;D).
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    another benefit is that the new s939 hsf are actually very good performers when it comes to running stock or small oc's. many of them (i think the 3700+ included) have heatpipes which is very nice for a bundled hsf. :)
    edited December 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Good advice above. The stock cooler with the retail CPU will do just fine. Sledgehammer might have a good deal (what a spammer! ;D).

sounded like I was mad! Not the intent of the response! so I deleted what was here!
    edited December 2005
    Not spamming as I am not selling this item anywhere else it is a mire Help out a fellow SM friend I would offer the items to anyone who needed...
    Hey my friend, I was just joking. I've got a jaded sense of humor. I thought your offer was perfectly appropriate. Cool? :cool:
    edited December 2005
    lol I wasn't trying to sound mad lol! I guess It came off that way... sorry! :) next time I will re-read it before posting back:)
    edited December 2005
    Hahaha :p Well thank you for the offer Sledge but i think (as the computer is not for me and he'll buy it from a local computer store) that i'll ask my friend to go with retail cpu. I found another forum who talk about that and said the heatsink in the box do the job well for stock speed. :)

Here's a list of the base list of the rig i'll make him buy (for your curiosity as it is out of topic :D )

DFI LANPARTY ULTRA-D
    AMD 3700+ SD RETAIL BOX
    Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO2 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 PCI-E VGA DVI
    OCZ EL PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400 CL2-3-2-6 184PIN DIMM Dual Channel
    OCZ OCZ52012U-520W Modstream Power Supply PCI-E Ready
    120 GIG SEAGATE
    Viewsonic Graphics G90FB 19IN Perfectflat Screen CRT (he doesn't have enough money to go LCD :p)

I think he'll enjoy his next middle range computer. ;)
    edited December 2005
    I think he'll enjoy is mid-range computer too. That will be a fast system. That's a nice monitor, too. The Viewsonic flat CRTs are very good.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    The ony real thing I would change is the PSU. If this person doesn't care about a modular PSu then I would get the OCZ Powerstream as it has a much better 12V line which is very important. :cool:
    edited December 2005
    Well i would like to make him buy a Powerstream, but it's difficult to tell someone 'you should spend 160CND for a powersupply, but if you buy a 110CND powersupply it will probably work well too...' lol

And, if he doesn't do any overclock, then his power needs is less important and then i don't feel like i should push him harder to buy a Powerstream lol

The powerstream is THAT MUCH better VS Modstream ? If yes then i'll ask him to think twice about it since 50CND can give him WAY more quality... I need arguments to convince him ;D

For the monitor yeah it looks realy nice for CRT, when i found that one on net and read the specs & comments it makes me sad about chosing a SAMSUNG 915N LCD monitor for my computer :rolleyes: (i could have safe some bucks here with better image quality :p)
    edited December 2005
    I think i win my point by my own ;)

I tell him that this is a great buy (Powerstream 520w) cuz he will probably keep it for more longer than the computer itself.

As for my PCPnC 510 Express that cost me an arm an a leg, i'll keep it for this computer and for the computers to come 'til it's gone... So if you think of it that way its a good and solid long term buy :D

He (I... ? :p) changed his mind for a OCZ PowerStream 520w :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    on the note regarding 3700 cpu stok cooler containing heatpipes O_o

Thats a load of bs... i have one but i got a 9500cnps cuz i like oc'ing
  • edited December 2005
    If you want I have a brand new Thermaltake Venus 12 HSF . Never used it b/c the pc im building I bought a mobile amd 64 so the HSF does not have contact to the cpu at all. I have the fan controls as well. I will sell it for 24 shipped
    edited December 2005
    AZN. It's just fine to offer other members parts, but if you continue past your current post, please use email or private messaging.
    edited December 2005
    Sorry AZN, everything is ordered by now ;)